Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Best, worst, most unique

As an old fart, convenience is a HUGE plus. WC has an elevator to their pressbox. And it is both heated or has AC depending on what is needed. I have never coached a game at Franklin Central, but I know they have an elevator too. For climate control and space, Carmel’s is pretty nice as well.

There are way too many places where getting through the crowd to pressbox is a HIGE P.I.T.A.  

22 hours ago, Irishman said:

😁 The most noticeable thing is no track, so the fans are on top of you. 

Yeah, I had the dubious honor of watching my son puke his guts out about 8 feet in front of me at St. X some years back.  

Sometimes being close isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

• Haha 1

South Spencer is unique.  There isn’t a track so the bleachers are right behind the benches.  I assume it is the same.  I haven’t been there since 2003.  Also, Brownstown has a unique setup.  The locals like to tailgate and watch the game from the street that runs behind the visitors bleachers.  I assume they still do that.  It makes you feel surrounded.

Unique..

Dugger Union was always interesting... folks could just back their truck up within a few feet of the field.

Pike Central mid 1990's-  I remember the crown on the field was so high... you couldn't see below the knee at the 50.

Best...

Linton's Roy Williams Field is a pretty good place to watch a big game.  I may be a little partial.

Other thoughts... 

I like North Vermillion's field... the grass always seems to be in top notch condition

Vincennes has a mixture of history/new facilities... I'm glad to see it is still being used after years of rumors to move them to the HS.

Eastern Hancock-  The coldest I have ever been standing on top of a press box was there.  It was semi-state... cold... and really windy.

Reitz Bowl-  Really cool atmosphere with it sunken in around a whole neighborhood.  It would be amazing with a grass field.  The turf seems out of place and is in poor condition.

Bosse's Enlow FIeld-  We have only had scrimmages there, but it is a cool place.  Grass would fit the atmosphere, but their turf is in good shape.

Tell City is an interesting setting in the middle of town... sort of reminded me of Linton with fans outside of the stadium playing a role in the atmosphere.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Goose Liver said:

Isn't it cool when all the tailgaters blow there horns and blink the headlights after every score. What a pain in the a$$ ! (no reflection on any particular school)

There are probably a few places that still do this, but when I first started working varsity football I was a back judge on a crew that had a game at North Judson. I didn’t notice it (that’s how oblivious I was in those days) before the game, but the local Reserve contingent had a howitzer sitting behind the north end zone. First score of the game for the Bluejays and, much to my surprise, the cannon went off right behind me. I could still get some air in those days, and I got plenty when that thing fired. I think I had to throw away the shorts I was wearing under my knickers.

• Haha 3

On 4/10/2021 at 2:23 PM, Staxawax said:

Because bigger is better?   I still can't figure out how one can sit in the stands and have the score on the scoreboard partially obscured. I suspect it may well be for the home side fans as well.

They built that building around the old building that housed the scoreboard and then didn't move the scoreboard forward. 

On 4/10/2021 at 2:29 PM, Irishman said:

As an old fart, convenience is a HUGE plus. WC has an elevator to their pressbox. And it is both heated or has AC depending on what is needed. I have never coached a game at Franklin Central, but I know they have an elevator too. For climate control and space, Carmel’s is pretty nice as well.

There are way too many places where getting through the crowd to pressbox is a HIGE P.I.T.A.  

Remarkably, the only MIC school without an elevator now is Carmel.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bobref said:

There are probably a few places that still do this, but when I first started working varsity football I was a back judge on a crew that had a game at North Judson. I didn’t notice it (that’s how oblivious I was in those days) before the game, but the local Reserve contingent had a howitzer sitting behind the north end zone. First score of the game for the Bluejays and, much to my surprise, the cannon went off right behind me. I could still get some air in those days, and I got plenty when that thing fired. I think I had to throw away the shorts I was wearing under my knickers.

Hobart uses a small cannon in the south end zone.... 10 Ga blanks.

WRC- late 90's/early 2000's addition:

Best: Tie- Seeger and Fountain Central. 2 of the best playing surfaces in the league at the time, definitely had the best facilities at the time. 

Worst: Turkey Run, hands down. I don't remember that field ever having grass on it.  Might explain why the Turkey Run kids were so tough. Only reason Attica didn't make it here was because their field actually had some grass on it...

Unique: This is a good question. Maybe Riverton Parke, just because it was built on a swamp. The visitor stands was right next to a woods. If you had a second to look around as a player, it was a beautiful setting.  But if it was muggy that night, the mosquitos would literally carry you off. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 2:23 PM, Staxawax said:

Because bigger is better?  

So I am told......

2 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Remarkably, the only MIC school without an elevator now is Carmel.

They are waiting on anti-gravity technology.  Early adapters.

Edited by Lysander
  • Haha 3

I don't think I have a best, there are a ton of great stadiums out there. I can speak for a worst and most unique. 

Unique: The pit at Elder in Cincinnati. I think this is one of the most unique in the midwest. 

Worst: I'll say Franklin County, it seems they always leave the grass long when we play up there, maybe they do it for everyone, but I'll never know😅

Sidenote, I've played a HOF stadium in canton 2x and it was an extraordinary experience! 

Best: CG and Westfield are the crown-jewels of the new stadiums in the Indy area. Not only beautiful facilities but they have pretty elite atmospheres as well. I really like Perry Meridian's new stadium, basically built into the middle of a neighborhood. 

Worst: Just from personal perspective, I think that a few of the Mid-State stadiums (Franklin, Plainfield, Martinsville) are so blah. They're essentially carbon-copies of each other and have no real personality to them. 

Edited by MICFan34

31 minutes ago, MICFan34 said:

Best: CG and Westfield are the crown-jewels of the new stadiums in the Indy area. Not only beautiful facilities but they have pretty elite atmospheres as well. I really like Perry Meridian's new stadium, basically built into the middle of a neighborhood. 

Worst: Just from personal perspective, I think that a few of the Mid-State stadiums (Franklin, Plainfield, Martinsville) are so blah. They're essentially carbon-copies of each other and have no real personality to them. 

Brownsburg would have to be on that list for a close third I think behind Westfield and CG. I also enjoy it because there is not a track.

Noblesville in a couple years will have an outstanding new facility. I am interested to see that finished product.

4 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

Brownsburg would have to be on that list for a close third I think behind Westfield and CG. I also enjoy it because there is not a track.

Noblesville in a couple years will have an outstanding new facility. I am interested to see that finished product.

Avon would fall under the Worst category for me. Saw a game there a few years back. Small stands and old pressbox. Especially for a school of that size in a conference with some really good facilities (Westfield, Brownsburg, Franklin Central, Zionsville etc.)

13 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

Avon would fall under the Worst category for me. Saw a game there a few years back. Small stands and old pressbox. Especially for a school of that size in a conference with some really good facilities (Westfield, Brownsburg, Franklin Central, Zionsville etc.)

Agreed! Brownsburg not having a track, new stadium, and full crowds w/a good student section make it a great atmosphere and facility. 

It amazes me how Avon's stadium hasn't been updated whatsoever, especially with the good amount of success they've had these last 15-20 years. 

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

Air Bobref

2 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

Just curious......... is a 21 year old press box old?

9 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Depends on the construction.  At my old HS the pressbox was a plywood and frame box to top of four 30ft utility poles. You climbed a long ladder to the top.... all the gear was hauled up by rope. The wind finally killed it about 1972.

32 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

It is very small and old looking to me. I know the visitors stands pressbox is incredibly tiny if I remember right. I cannot imagine there is much room. Plus it is not very high off of the ground.

3 hours ago, MICFan34 said:

It amazes me how Avon's stadium hasn't been updated whatsoever, especially with the good amount of success they've had these last 15-20 years. 

These things cost money. Referenda have been focused on classroom expenses recently rather than capital projects. Pretty certain BD's stadium updates a few years back were part of the construction of the Chapel Hill Center.

32 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

It is very small and old looking to me. I know the visitors stands pressbox is incredibly tiny if I remember right. I cannot imagine there is much room. Plus it is not very high off of the ground.

I guess you are used to many HS stadiums with visitor's press boxes?  Only other stadium in the HCC with a vistor's box is Franklin Central.

In the MIC, only BD and Warren have visitor's boxes.....  and both because that side was the old home stand before renovations. So the boxes were already there.