Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Best, worst, most unique

3 hours ago, Staxawax said:

I guess you are used to many HS stadiums with visitor's press boxes?  Only other stadium in the HCC with a vistor's box is Franklin Central.

In the MIC, only BD and Warren have visitor's boxes.....  and both because that side was the old home stand before renovations. So the boxes were already there.

That wasn’t my point. I’m just stating why it’s on my list as one of the worst. Nothing against you or the Avon Orioles. But that facility is by far the worst in the HCC. 

That has nothing to do with the solid football program Avon has though. Each school system is different in regards to money, size, ideas, etc.

On 4/9/2021 at 1:04 PM, eschnur66 said:

WSMI Radio Sports on Twitter: "Carlinville has arrived at the Snakepit in Mt.  Carmel!… "

Here is the snake pit in Mt. Carmel, IL.  If you are an Indiana school it is full of all kinds of snakes ready to bite in lots of different ways ...

I gotta be honest - I LOVE this set up for bleachers. EVERY row is between the 40's, not a single bad seat in the house!

As for my input, I love East Noble's stadium situated right near Bixler Lake. The same goes for Culver Academies stadium on the north end of Lake Maxinkuckee.

Edited by NLCTigerFan07

1 minute ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I gotta be honest - I LOVE this set up for bleachers. EVERY row is between the 40's, not a single bad seat in the house!

That point is an accurate one!  However, if you were ever an opponent that had to walk through that mess.  You are not a fan.  

FYI ...  I did not play there, but my brother did, and my grandfather coached against them.  Walked those stairs to the field once.  Then bussed around to the field from the locker rooms in the school.

7 minutes ago, eschnur66 said:

That point is an accurate one!  However, if you were ever an opponent that had to walk through that mess.  You are not a fan.  

FYI ...  I did not play there, but my brother did, and my grandfather coached against them.  Walked those stairs to the field once.  Then bussed around to the field from the locker rooms in the school.

We took our 2017 & 2018 classes over to Mt. Carmel when they were 7th & 8th graders for a Saturday night double-header.  It was a blast.  

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 11:44 AM, NLCTigerFan07 said:

The same goes for Culver Academies stadium on the north end of Lake Maxinkuckee.

One of my top 5 places I’ve worked a high school game in 40 seasons. Great setting. Great people ... and the only time I’ve ever been actually physically afraid on a football field. In their pregame show, the cadet corps marches onto the field. Right after the national anthem, they have this gigantic horse that gallops down the sideline to whip up the crowd. First time I saw it, I wasn’t expecting it. As I was standing on the sideline I looked up and this horse blew past me at speed, about an arm’s length away. If you’ve never been that close to a 1,000 lb. animal running fast, I don’t recommend it ... especially when it comes as a surprise. But it’s a great place, and their coach is among the best I ever worked with. And the setting is incomparable.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Major said:

One of the worst, yet one of the best.  The Pit at Pioneer.  The field is the worst...but, the home crowd is one of the best.  We need more COWBELL!!!

The Pit will always be home. It's too bad that the press box is teeny tiny, to the point that deep tournament games are moved to Logansport.

5 minutes ago, AG said:

The Pit will always be home. It's too bad that the press box is teeny tiny, to the point that deep tournament games are moved to Logansport.

Surely the deep pockets of the agricultural elites around Royal Center can spare a few shekels to improve the press box and surrounding facilities of the one of the most powerful small school football programs in the state?

18 hours ago, AG said:

The move to Logansport has much more to do with the playing surface than the press box.  The field at The Pit is the worst!!!!!

47 minutes ago, Major said:

The move to Logansport has much more to do with the playing surface than the press box.  The field at The Pit is the worst!!!!!

I’m sure you’re right. But Royal Center is smack in the middle of agriculture country. Doesn’t anyone there have an idea how to grow a decent crop of turf grass? 😂

The old Hobart Brickie Bowl.  They were the team to beat. The game day watering of the field (it was so wet, I slipped and fell and I was coaching.). A full house back in the day. Concrete bleachers with another set of bleachers stacked on top just seemed like big time football. Very first varsity game I started as a player was there and a couple of games as a coach. A lot of memories.

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 7.29.24 AM.png

20 minutes ago, JeffO2 said:

The old Hobart Brickie Bowl. 

Don’t forget all those sweet looking old ladies with their babushkas who reminded you of your grandmother ... until they opened their mouths. Then you’d think you’d stumbled into a meeting of the longshoremen’s union.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 1