Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Selecting Mr. Football

Sorry if someone else has discussed this but I didn't see it.  I read on twitter (I think linked to an IndyStar article) that the IHSAA and the coaches were considering changing the way Mr. Football is voted.  The big schools apparently did not appreciate a 1A school football player getting the award over David Bell.  They cited the overwhelming number of 1st place votes Kiger received from 1A and 2A schools.  The proposed change is EVERY coach, head and assistants, would get a vote. Kind of reverses the advantage to the large schools, doesn't it?  If the likes of Carmel, Warren, Ben Davis, etc. have 10 assistant coaches vs. Pioneer, Tipton, West Central, etc. having maybe 5,6 assistants, the balance has a heavy big school lean.  I'm obviously guessing on number of assistants at schools but it sure seems like sour grapes. 

Would the coaches have to be members of the IFCA? Do they have a criteria for joining? Could a team stack their membership with several lay coaches? If the number of assistants is limited it could help smaller schools as there are twice as many 1A and 2A schools as 5A and 6A schools.

5 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Sorry if someone else has discussed this but I didn't see it.  I read on twitter (I think linked to an IndyStar article) that the IHSAA and the coaches were considering changing the way Mr. Football is voted.  The big schools apparently did not appreciate a 1A school football player getting the award over David Bell.  They cited the overwhelming number of 1st place votes Kiger received from 1A and 2A schools.  The proposed change is EVERY coach, head and assistants, would get a vote. Kind of reverses the advantage to the large schools, doesn't it?  If the likes of Carmel, Warren, Ben Davis, etc. have 10 assistant coaches vs. Pioneer, Tipton, West Central, etc. having maybe 5,6 assistants, the balance has a heavy big school lean.  I'm obviously guessing on number of assistants at schools but it sure seems like sour grapes. 

Jacon and Ab were pretty good ball players back in the day, but I wasn't aware that either had won Mr. Football.

Edited by AG
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AG said:

Jacon and Ab were pretty good ball players back in the day, but I wasn't aware that either had won Mr. Football.

Jake did finish 3rd in Mr. Football in 2005, he may have been able to steal the show at State if that pesky Jimtown team didn't snag us in OT!!

As far as IFCA:   Open to all coaches in Middle and High School   

Must be paid member to vote 

I believe it to be a good thing, that is coming from a coach who has been at a 2a school coaching since 2003.  

with anything these days, if you try hard enough, you can try to poke holes into everything to find potential flaws or reasoning that can be molded to think one way or another. 

I sat in that meeting, I believe strongly this proposal was simply to allow another reason to have our members have a voice into the biggest award IFCA provides.   

• Like 2

Pffff.  Jack Kiser absolutely deserved to be named Mr. Football. Kid never really left the field and played lights out.

if there was ever a chance for a 1A player to win it, it was Jack....

No 3A player has ever been named Mr. Football I believe and I think only 1 2A has been named....that being Jaylon Smith who is a star Linebacker for the cowboys.  

26/27 years of Mr football....2 were for small schools.  1 of those 2 has proven to be one of the best linebackers.

gimme a break *steps down off soap box* 

sighs*. Some of y’all schools need to chill with being entitled to awards and what not. 

• Like 6
  • Disdain 1

I believe in 1997, DuJuan Daniels won and he was from 3A Chatard. However, point taken that larger class schools have historically won the award. I'm not sure I have an opinion on that part, just wanted to chime in on the 3A comment

Jack Kiser was more than deserving this year. Complete package and a beast

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Pffff.  Jack Kiser absolutely deserved to be named Mr. Football. Kid never really left the field and played lights out.

if there was ever a chance for a 1A player to win it, it was Jack....

No 3A player has ever been named Mr. Football I believe and I think only 1 2A has been named....that being Jaylon Smith who is a star Linebacker for the cowboys.  

26/27 years of Mr football....2 were for small schools.  1 of those 2 has proven to be one of the best linebackers.

gimme a break *steps down off soap box* 

sighs*. Some of y’all schools need to chill with being entitled to awards and what not. 

Wodicka from West Lafayette won Mr. FB. What class were WLA in back the ?

Pandora’s box is officially open.  Good thing Kiser won it this year because a small school player never will again.

They may even re-name the award “MIC’er Football.”

11 hours ago, Grover said:

Big school or small school the most important criterion to selecting Mr. Football is to completely ignore offensive linemen.

I know the numbers don’t play out and I am going to butcher the spelling, but Bo Barzilauskas. The 1994 Mr. Football winner. OL/DL Bloomington South HS. 

2 hours ago, Paccolpur said:

Here is a Idea. Have a Mr Football for each class.  

If I was a betting man, which I am not, that is somewhere on the horizon. 

Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but I could see it happening. 

12 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

I know the numbers don’t play out and I am going to butcher the spelling, but Bo Barzilauskas. The 1994 Mr. Football winner. OL/DL Bloomington South HS. 

Yes, I know Bo.  He won the award due to his performance as a defensive lineman.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Are you positive about this?  Can you tell me which games?  He played in 13 games (according to MaxPreps) this past season.  I have followed the young man the last couple of years, and he is a young man of character.  I was not aware of this.

He was injured during the semi-state game against CG and it impacted him in the state final.  But his team did win the 6A championship.  

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/david-bell/1eIQZzeKEeW-8KA2nzwbTA/gendersport/football-stats.htm

North Central game at the beginning of the season. 

@CGFan2017   Nothing against him personally and I don't want to start any rumors. He only has stats for 13 games in the  on maxpreps. Didn't play week#4 against Lawrence Central:    http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/david-bell/1eIQZzeKEeW-8KA2nzwbTA/gendersport/football-stats.htm  Click on the Varsity 18-19 link and look at the game by game.

I tried to find a newspaper article about the game, but didn't find any.

David Bell was the best player in the State hands down!! Now Kizer going to Notre Dame is no accident the kid could ball and if had been any other player outside the MIC Kizer would have got my vote. The MIC top to bottom is the best conference in the State some even view it as one of the best in the Midwest. for that kid not to win Mr. Football was a crime. I am glad they are proposing a change in the voting process, in my opinion, you can blame the 1A and 2A coaches who voted it was clearly a bias towards the small school athlete.

5 hours ago, SuperQuickArtesians said:

David Bell was the best player in the State hands down!! Now Kizer going to Notre Dame is no accident the kid could ball and if had been any other player outside the MIC Kizer would have got my vote. The MIC top to bottom is the best conference in the State some even view it as one of the best in the Midwest. for that kid not to win Mr. Football was a crime. I am glad they are proposing a change in the voting process, in my opinion, you can blame the 1A and 2A coaches who voted it was clearly a bias towards the small school athlete.

So lemme get this straight. If a small school coach votes for a small school player it’s biased...but if a big school coach votes for a big school player it’s not? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Btw. If anyone is curious about the voting....

Class A – Kiser 10, Bell 0

Class 2A – Kiser 9, Bell 1

Class 3A – Bell 4, Kiser 1

Class 4A – Kiser 3, Bell 3

Class 5A – Kiser 3, Bell 3

Class 6A – Bell 6, Kiser 4

bell barely won his own 6A class. 

Bell is an outstanding athlete and Everyone nominated was deserving of being named Mr. Football.....but let’s not get this confused with coaches being biased. The voting clearly shows Kiser had the support from all divisions except 3A 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SuperQuickArtesians said:

I would agree the MIC is a great conference and easily the best in Indiana, but the best player on the best MIC team isn't automatically the best player in the state.  Both are great players, but Bell wasn't "hands down" better than Kizer and finishing second in the voting wasn't a "crime".   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1