Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

What happened to the NLC Guys?

Guest DT

13 minutes ago, Crusty said:

Not so fast. This old Caveman is looking forward to the next season of Mishawaka fb. If the Cavemen can find on o-line they should be tough.

I think the NIC thread died when Mishawaka jumped ship to the NLC.  They were the heart and soul of the NIC discussion.  Maybe they can get things going in the NLC thread.  

5 hours ago, DT said:

I think the NIC thread died when Mishawaka jumped ship to the NLC. 

That, and St. Joe got bad. Those schools (and Penn) carried the NIC thread. Come to think of it, Penn people’s posts have also tailed off, in proportion to their on-field struggles.

Another big reason why GID involvement has dropped off for some schools and conferences is just public awareness on social media in general, just to add the perspective of a coach. It used to be fun to get on here and banter and get a little friendly "bulletin board material" on game weeks. Nowadays, anything that gets posted on a public forum can have professional implications, and we're all hyper aware of that fact.

So now we just lurk. 🙃

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cheez said:

Another big reason why GID involvement has dropped off for some schools and conferences is just public awareness on social media in general, just to add the perspective of a coach. It used to be fun to get on here and banter and get a little friendly "bulletin board material" on game weeks. Nowadays, anything that gets posted on a public forum can have professional implications, and we're all hyper aware of that fact.

So now we just lurk. 🙃

Yep, when I do chime in I try and be respectful, I don't want to downgrade any programs efforts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crusty said:

So, who has a good team coming back in the NLC ++

Start a fresh new thread.   Encourage your NLC readers to comment on the following;

Who is rising in conference?

Who is falling?

Who are key returning players?

Who are breakout young sophomores?

Any D1 prospects?

Any new coaches?

Any new facilities?

Who needs new facilities?

Any new non conference matchups?

Are schools happy with the Mishawaka addition?

Should any other conference changes be considered?

• 4 weeks later...

SF still swims in the depths of the GID.  Mainly hanging with the other fish from the past in the OOB bantering about politics and such.  The NLC thread isn't what it used to be.  SF, KF, WarsawDad, Rockie, and a whole host of others whose kids have grown up had the loud mouths back in 2006 - about 2015.  I still stick my head in now and then every season just to see who's around.  Not the same raucous bunch though..  

I even had to become friends with Coach Dawson who became one of our suppliers after coaching.....He still calls me SF and I still call him Coach.

• Like 3

Agreed @swordfish - I definitely remember the days when you were more active! As well - yes a number of Plymouth supporters used to be on the thread and they seem to have disappeared. Same for Wawasee (ol Houndstooth Hat used to rile me up reading his posts). They usually had at least a handful of supporters that would post on a regular basis.

Could also be a sign of the times that @DT likes to reference in regards to the NLC teams not being all that of a "threat" in the postseason recently. Concord hasn't been quite the threat since Coach Dawson left. I know they've won 2 sectionals under Coach Koehler... but those sectionals were argueably the weakest sectionals in the state, or at least in 5A. Plymouth has been down as well and outside of the great 2016 and 2018 seasons, NorthWood has been good, but far from the postseasons of the Dodson era. Warsaw has obviously seen some improvement with Coach Curtis, and Mishawaka definitely can help elevate the conference, but even last year with their slow start I think it kind of watered down things initially until they got rolling.

• Like 1

Hey NLCTigerFan - are you the guy I used to hang with while you had kids in the Warsaw system?  I suspect you are, but your call sign has changed.  Good times.  If you are - I hope things are still going good for you and I'm sure you are enjoying your grandkids.

I literally had plugged-in sources and connections with every NLC football program back then and these guys would feed inside information to me that would drive some coaches nuts trying to figure out how I got my always precise and accurate information.  My group of friends would have a texting circle going on Friday nights keeping up on NLC scores and highlights from every corner.

I'll never forget walking into my PA's office and him saying "Hey Tim, remember a guy named Swordfish on the GID?" and sitting there in front of him was the one and only Coach Dawson who had just left coaching to pursue a different path in life.  I said to my PA "you gotta give me some kinda warning before springing something like this on me" I nearly had a heart attack.  Coach couldn't have been nicer though.

SF does miss that banter, but has very little time to devote to that edge of the forum anymore, nor do I have the connections I once had.

Edited by swordfish

22 hours ago, swordfish said:

Hey NLCTigerFan - are you the guy I used to hang with while you had kids in the Warsaw system?  I suspect you are, but your call sign has changed.  Good times.  If you are - I hope things are still going good for you and I'm sure you are enjoying your grandkids.

LOL unfortunately I am NOT that person - no kids yet and certainly no grandkids

17 hours ago, swordfish said:

Got it NLCTigerFan07.  I became friends with the Elvis impersonator who was also a father to a couple of great Warsaw football players.  LOL.  Good times.

Fun fact - I threw a touchdown pass to his younger son when he started for us as a freshman at Tight End in the first round of sectionals (his first varsity touchdown), even though he was the starting QB on the freshman team that year. The next season he was varsity backup QB to the Bachelor, then was a two year varsity starter at QB. Heck of an athlete, great kid (and now young man). His older brother never played football for Warsaw, but played basketball in the Tiger Den.

Edited by NLCTigerFan07
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still here, but no longer have a job that I can spend hours online debating high school sports for hours on end.  I'll probably be more active as travel baseball comes to an end down in Warsaw here in a few weeks and football starts ramping back up.   

Our freshman class this year, Coach Epp taking over the reins, and our new facilities all give reason for excitement in Middlebury for the future of our program.  I see a similar varsity year as last year but we have some good pieces that could make things interesting this year. 

As for the less traffic, much of it has to do with social media being the primary method of online communication and the message board model being a dieing breed.  Also seeing every thread become hijacked is a turn off for many, including myself. 

• Like 1