Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Buckeyes call Caden Curry a "Must Get" Recruit

Guest DT

19 minutes ago, DT said:

I agree completely with your comment.  But you can say the same thing about Rutgers and Greg Schiano, and yet they still have the 14th best roster in the conference.  

The numbers dont lie.

We have yet to see the 2021 talent composite.  IU should rise, but highly doubtful they will be in the Top 10.  Looking forward to seeing those numbers.  Notice Purdues lofty position at #8.  Brohm and his staff are not developing their talent as should be expected.  

I also maintain that 2020 was an anomaly and looking at the schedule, I fully expect the Hoosiers to regress beck to 5-6 wins.

One season (especially with the circumstances surrounding 2020) doesn’t make or break a program.

It was a cute story Hoosier fans, now back to the reality of finishing in the bottom 3 of the Big Ten East.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I also maintain that 2020 was an anomaly and looking at the schedule, I fully expect the Hoosiers to regress beck to 5-6 wins.

One season (especially with the circumstances surrounding 2020) doesn’t make or break a program.

It was a cute story Hoosier fans, now back to the reality of finishing in the bottom 3 of the Big Ten East.

PM me and lets make a little wager on that. We can go as high as you want. 

20 hours ago, DT said:

I really dont understand why kids commit very early

Unless they are really annoyed or bothered by the process, let it play itself out.  Great opportunity to ytravel and see the country and some great universities.  Also watch some top level college football on ecruiting saturdays on campus.  

Probably a combination of a good sales pitch, pressure, and an immature young adult getting caught up in the excitement of a good visit. 

Regarding pressure to not be left behind, I would think someone like Curry knows Purdue or IU will have a spot open whenever he wants to commit. Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, Clemson, etc., have other 4 or 5 star recruits with the same offer. At some point they these schools can’t find room for everyone of the elite prospects they’re taking. 

4 hours ago, temptation said:

Normally I’d agree, except they went 8-4 the year prior. 5-6 wins would be a massive disappointment and failure given IU’s talent level. Every other program IU beat last year played under the same circumstances.

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Normally I’d agree, except they went 8-4 the year prior. 5-6 wins would be a massive disappointment and failure given IU’s talent level. Every other program IU beat last year played under the same circumstances.

Eh, not really.  Opt outs leveled the playing field quite a bit.  

I’ll set the over under at 5.5 wins in 2021:

Gimmes:  vs Idaho, Western Kentucky

Lean Towards a Win:  vs Michigan State, @ Maryland, vs Rutgers, vs Minnesota

Lean Towards a Loss:  @ Iowa, vs Cincinnati, @ Purdue

Certain Losses:  @ Penn State, vs Ohio State, @ Michigan

5 minutes ago, temptation said:

Eh, not really.  Opt outs leveled the playing field quite a bit.  

I’ll set the over under at 5.5 wins in 2021:

Gimmes:  vs Idaho, Western Kentucky

Lean Towards a Win:  vs Michigan State, @ Maryland, vs Rutgers, vs Minnesota

Lean Towards a Loss:  @ Iowa, vs Cincinnati, @ Purdue

Certain Losses:  @ Penn State, vs Ohio State, @ Michigan

I’ll do a $500 GID donation on over 5.5 wins if anyone wants to take it?

11 hours ago, DT said:

Im not convinced IU is over the hump.  I would not at all be surprised to see us regress to a 4 to 6 win season again this year.  

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/?Conference=Big-Ten

Indiana ranks #13 in the Big Ten Overall Talent Composite.  I look at that as a black and white number.  No gray area.  Meaning in my view, they are the 13th best team in the conference.  Several national publications expect them to take a step back this season.  Im hopeful that we will continue to build on he growth we saw in 2020, but truthfully, that season will always be seen as an anomaly for obvious reasons.

Until IU significantly closes the talent gap between itself and the top half of the conference, we will always be susceptible to a 3-9 disaster, regardless of the stellar job turned in by Coach Allen and his staff.

Regardless of W's & L's Hoosiers will have this year, I'm still on board thinking a kid like Curry can, as you say "showcase" his talents at IU. If he is that good, he would have chance to stand out on a roster loaded with 2/3 star players vs a roster with 4/5 stars. If he is that good, the cream will rise to the top regardless on where he plays. IU will be at least a 6-7 W team this year, a lot depends on QB, if Penix can play and stay heathy that will be the big factor. I think Tuttle can step up if needed, also interested in seeing Williams. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psaboy said:

Regardless of W's & L's Hoosiers will have this year, I'm still on board thinking a kid like Curry can, as you say "showcase" his talents at IU. If he is that good, he would have chance to stand out on a roster loaded with 2/3 star players vs a roster with 4/5 stars.

Or, because he is such a standout compared to those 2/3 stars, he spends all his time getting double-teamed and chipped and, as a result, he doesn’t stand out.

16 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Or, because he is such a standout compared to those 2/3 stars, he spends all his time getting double-teamed and chipped and, as a result, he doesn’t stand out.

Yes, I thought about that as well. But talent will rise to the top if he is that good. Could spend first 2-3 years as back up at upper P5 team, because they have the best of the best. Time will tell, many Indiana 4/5 stars try to go to the upper P5's and get lost in shuffle. My whole premise of comment is to hope a high level recuirt stays in state, hopefully IU or even PU. 

9 hours ago, psaboy said:

Yes, I thought about that as well. But talent will rise to the top if he is that good. Could spend first 2-3 years as back up at upper P5 team, because they have the best of the best.

If playing football for a living at the highest level is what this kid wants to do someday, then he’s crazy if he doesn’t get with the best program possible. More exposure. Better coaching. And most importantly, the ability to test himself repeatedly against the “best of the best” and hone his skills. Sure, he might find himself lower on the depth chart to start. If your goal is to be a world class surgeon, you don’t go to med school in the Caribbean, or even at IU (which is a fine medical school) or Ohio State. They’re fine, but not elite. You go to Harvard, or John’s Hopkins, or Stanford, or Duke, or NYU. Football is no different.

48 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Does Curry have any offers yet? If so, where? 

What rock have you been hiding under?  This kid is the highest recruited football player in Indiana high school football history.  

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Not even the highest ranked player in Indiana this year. 

But he is the highest recruited ever.  

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

In what sense? What quantifies that?

He is seeing national recruiting coverage.  Coast to coast (Oregon and FSU)  North to south (Michigan and Alabama)  The two recruits ahead of him are not getting that kind of attention.  The top ranked recruit already signed with Kentucky.  The second ranked recruit will likely go to IU.  

Come up with a formula that quantifies all that at your leisure.

1 minute ago, DT said:

He is seeing national recruiting coverage.  Coast to coast (Oregon and FSU)  North to south (Michigan and Alabama)  The two recruits ahead of him are not getting that kind of attention.  The top ranked recruit already signed with Kentucky.  The second ranked recruit will likely go to IU.  

Come up with a formula that quantifies all that at your leisure.

Those guys (Goodwin and McCullough) were offered by every school in the country. McCullough was previously committed to Ohio State before his dad took a job at Indiana. Blake Fisher was recruited by every school in the country last year. Hunter Johnson was the #1 rated pro-style QB a few years ago. Emil Ekiyor held offers from all over the country and is a starting OL for Bama. Jeff George was the national high school player of the year.

Caden Curry is an exceptional talent but nowhere near the highest recruited player in Indiana history.

7 hours ago, DT said:

This kid is the highest recruited football player in Indiana high school football history.  

Is that because Jaylon Smith committed to Notre Dame when he was a sophmore/junior?

This conversation reminds me of another great Center Grove defensive lineman who was heavily recruited by TN

6 hours ago, BTF said:

Is that because Jaylon Smith committed to Notre Dame when he was a sophmore/junior?

Its because the entire recruiting game, from the schools to the athletes to the recruiting services and to the media coverage is so much bigger than it was 10 to 15 years ago.  Light years difference.  

Edited by DT

9 hours ago, DT said:

Its because the entire recruiting game, from the schools to the athletes to the recruiting services and to the media coverage is so much bigger than it was 10 to 15 years ago. 

Yet another consequence of the omnipresent social media.

20 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Yet another consequence of the omnipresent social media.

Its not the old school traditional media.  Those guys were lazy and let the news come to them.  These new guys that blog on recruiting services or actually work for the services are competitive bulldogs that work endlessly chasing down new bits of information.  We all benefit from the diligent work they do.  

A perfect example is the Roster Talent Composite.  This is a great tool for everyone to use to follow the recruiting game and see who is winning and who is losing.  

Im a baseball stat geek so I love to dig into the numbers and the evaluations