Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Buckeyes call Caden Curry a "Must Get" Recruit

Guest DT

8 minutes ago, DT said:

Its not the old school traditional media.  Those guys were lazy and let the news come to them.  These new guys that blog on recruiting services or actually work for the services are competitive bulldogs that work endlessly chasing down new bits of information.  We all benefit from the diligent work they do.  

A perfect example is the Roster Talent Composite.  This is a great tool for everyone to use to follow the recruiting game and see who is winning and who is losing.  

Im a baseball stat geek so I love to dig into the numbers and the evaluations 

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

1 hour ago, DT said:

The talent composite really illustrates the talent disparity across college football. The talent disparity between Ohio State and a school like Wisconsin, who by most is considered or perceived to be the 4th best B10 team (behind PSU and Michigan) is significantly greater than the talent disparity between Wisconsin and a school like Indiana or Rutgers, by an extremely wide margin. 

11 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

The talent composite really illustrates the talent disparity across college football. The talent disparity between Ohio State and a school like Wisconsin, who by most is considered or perceived to be the 4th best B10 team (behind PSU and Michigan) is significantly greater than the talent disparity between Wisconsin and a school like Indiana or Rutgers, by an extremely wide margin. 

Yes, and back on topic the open borders that have now permeated HIGH SCHOOL football will mirror those same gaps.

Could Carmel or Warren catch CG on a bad day?  Sure.  But it’s looking less and less likely.

18 minutes ago, temptation said:

Yes, and back on topic the open borders that have now permeated HIGH SCHOOL football will mirror those same gaps.

Could Carmel or Warren catch CG on a bad day?  Sure.  But it’s looking less and less likely.

Why? 

According to you a few months back its all about enrollment and socioeconomic factors. Carmel and Warren are two of the three largest high schools in the state. 

10 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Why? 

According to you a few months back its all about enrollment and socioeconomic factors. Carmel and Warren are two of the three largest high schools in the state. 

Well it reaches a point of diminishing returns.  CG’s 2600 students with a free and reduced lunch rate in the low 20’s is becoming comparable with Carmel’s 5200 with a free and reduced rate around 10 percent because of all of the talent they are amassing (some from out of their district which seems to be no fault of their own).

Warren and Ben Davis (the only two programs with a shot at actually competing with CG, yeah I said it) on the other hand are hanging onto their enrollment as their last remaining competitive advantage.

Take 2000 kids away from BD or 1500 away from Warren and you have Tech.

Take 2000 kids away from Carmel and you still have...Carmel.

17 minutes ago, temptation said:

Well it reaches a point of diminishing returns.  CG’s 2600 students with a free and reduced lunch rate in the low 20’s is becoming comparable with Carmel’s 5200 with a free and reduced rate around 10 percent because of all of the talent they are amassing (some from out of their district which seems to be no fault of their own).

Warren and Ben Davis (the only two programs with a shot at actually competing with CG, yeah I said it) on the other hand are hanging onto their enrollment as their last remaining competitive advantage.

Take 2000 kids away from BD or 1500 away from Warren and you have Tech.

Take 2000 kids away from Carmel and you still have...Carmel.

Warren just hired away a hall of fame coach from one of the fastest growing school corporations in the state. They will be fine, as will Ben Davis. Center Grove as good as they've been, also has a generational 2022 class, many who started as sophomores. As we've seen the last 20 years, it's been cyclical between the MIC's Big 4 and I don't see that changing any time soon.  

11 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Warren just hired away a hall of fame coach from one of the fastest growing school corporations in the state. They will be fine, as will Ben Davis. Center Grove as good as they've been, also has a generational 2022 class, many who started as sophomores. As we've seen the last 20 years, it's been cyclical between the MIC's Big 4 and I don't see that changing any time soon.  

Never said they wouldn’t be “fine” just pointing out that if the current trend continues, CG will be tough to catch.

Warren, Carmel and BD aren’t shrinking in size in a major way anytime soon, so yes they will be fine.

Just feels like things have flipped.  For the past two decades, those three have been the standard and the occasional talented CG group would sneak up on them.  Now, it’s the other way around. BD, Carmel and Warren are chasing CG and it’ll take a special group to unseat them.

Even you can’t deny the role that socioeconomics plays in athletics.  Carmel just won the boys basketball state championship as well as track and field and Cathedral just won the girls track and field state title.

You try to pretend it doesn’t matter and that I am diminishing coaching and culture but facts are facts.

Edited by temptation

22 minutes ago, temptation said:

Never said they wouldn’t be “fine” just pointing out that if the current trend continues, CG will be tough to catch.

Warren, Carmel and BD aren’t shrinking in size in a major way anytime soon, so yes they will be fine.

Just feels like things have flipped.  For the past two decades, those three have been the standard and the occasional talented CG group would sneak up on them.  Now, it’s the other way around. BD, Carmel and Warren are chasing CG and it’ll take a special group to unseat them.

Even you can’t deny the role that socioeconomics plays in athletics.  Carmel just won the boys basketball state championship as well as track and field and Cathedral just won the girls track and field state title.

You try to pretend it doesn’t matter and that I am diminishing coaching and culture but facts are facts.

Westfield is emerging as an immediate threat and Brownsburg and Avon have shown the last 5-6 years they are no fluke. If anything I think you'll see more parity in 6A in the years to come.

There's multiple role playing aspects that go into athletics with socioeconomics being a small piece. But it's not the end be all, not by a long shot. I've illustrated that in the past. Cathedral winning track and field is really an anomaly but they have an extremely gifted pair of sisters on that squad who come from an extremely athletic family (both brothers are D1 football players who played at CHS previously). 

28 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Westfield is emerging as an immediate threat and Brownsburg and Avon have shown the last 5-6 years they are no fluke. If anything I think you'll see more parity in 6A in the years to come.

There's multiple role playing aspects that go into athletics with socioeconomics being a small piece. But it's not the end be all, not by a long shot. I've illustrated that in the past. Cathedral winning track and field is really an anomaly but they have an extremely gifted pair of sisters on that squad who come from an extremely athletic family (both brothers are D1 football players who played at CHS previously). 

Agree on most accounts but even you have to admit that two next level players from Brownsburg transferring TO Center Grove is pretty damning and a poor reflection upon Brownsburg regardless.

I’ve gone on record as stating I think Westfield wins a 6A title by 2030.  CG will not win every title for the remainder of time (neither did Warren or BD) but they will remain in the conversation and be a consistent power year in and year out.  I’m not comfortable saying that about Warren, BD or even Avon.

31 minutes ago, Jon said:

I suggest creating a MIC big Four thread and move this conversation there.

Thanks for the suggestion.

On 6/14/2021 at 8:56 AM, Footballking16 said:

Who the hell thinks Michigan is better than Wisconsin? Wiscy has owned them as of late. Wiscy 5-2 in last 7 meetings. And they consistently have a better record. You’re stupid.

On 6/14/2021 at 10:53 AM, temptation said:

Agree on most accounts but even you have to admit that two next level players from Brownsburg transferring TO Center Grove is pretty damning and a poor reflection upon Brownsburg regardless.

I'm really interested how this happens. How does the IHSAA just allow it? I mean, if they move there...I guess it's ok. But how can this not be for athletic reasons at some level? 

Edited by BDGiant93
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

I'm really interested how this happens. How does the IHSAA just allow it? I mean, if they move there...I guess it's ok. But how can this not be for athletic reasons at some level? 

I think the Eron Gordon ruling broke the IHSAA.

1 minute ago, temptation said:

All I know is Jayden Brewer had pretty much the best reason I've ever heard to transfer. His mom could no longer transport him due to the increased workload with the pandemic, and the IHSAA gave him limited eligibility for basketball. So the kid has to sit half his senior year because the IHSAA (and Avon) held up that transfer...yet I hear about other transfers. I'm not going to dig into people's business, but it just makes you wonder why some transfers go through slick as a whistle and others don't.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

All I know is Jayden Brewer had pretty much the best reason I've ever heard to transfer. His mom could no longer transport him due to the increased workload with the pandemic, and the IHSAA gave him limited eligibility for basketball. So the kid has to sit half his senior year because the IHSAA (and Avon) held up that transfer...yet I hear about other transfers. I'm not going to dig into people's business, but it just makes you wonder why some transfers go through slick as a whistle and others don't.

I agree but I think they were skeptical of the BD to Avon back to BD ordeal.  Fair or not.

Like many other things in society, it’s the small percentage of the population that abuse rules that ruin it for the legitimate cases.

45 minutes ago, temptation said:

Crazy part about the Eron Gordon ruling is that his North Central teammate (Jordan Walker who actually ended up being better) transferred to Cathedral at the exact same time with immediate eligibility. If Eron had any other last name he's probably in the clear. 

23 hours ago, temptation said:

I agree but I think they were skeptical of the BD to Avon back to BD ordeal.  Fair or not.

Like many other things in society, it’s the small percentage of the population that abuse rules that ruin it for the legitimate cases.

He was never a student at BD until his senior year.

22 hours ago, Jon said:

Any predictions on what position Caden is going to play in the 2021 season?

I personally hope he plays DE so he can chase QB all game long and get a sexy sack total so he might get in the running for Mr. Football. CG has 6 Sr. Defensive line men with some kind of collage offer so Curry moving to LB would be fun to watch.

I prefer to watch him from the defensive tackle position.  He reminds me a lot of Dan Hampton.  Long and lean.  Very disruptive.  Huge initial push.  Never gets pushed back.  

Teams can mitigate the impact of great defensive ends by running away from them 90% of the time.  

Curry has great strength and he can just about manhandle any lineman he runs into.  Great fun to watch.

We all remember the first time we saw Curry jump off the camera, when he literally threw a Carmel offensive lineman out of his way on a goal line stand in the 2019 state championship game.  

Edited by DT

14 minutes ago, Grover said:

I would imagine as a TE but that's kind of a swiss army position anymore.  He's going to help CG the most as a TE.

How big is Shane currently?  Kids grow quickly these days