Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Should something be done to fix 6A?

Since the creation of 6A Indiana hs football, Indy schools have won all 8 state championships. Prior to that, Indy schools had won 12 straight state titles in 5A. Is there even a plausible solution out there to balance the playing field? It would seem silly to create a “7a” that consists of roughly 16 or so of the largest Indy schools, not to mention it sounds far less exciting. But Indy’s domination has gotten to the point where you can’t help but think that maybe something should be done. Indy schools have won 20 in a row of the largest class state titles, and there is really no end in sight.

Penn and Snider were 2 of the perennial powers in Indiana for decades, yet they have both seen a recent decline that they have not experienced before. Yes I know Snider won a 5A title 4-5 years ago, but they are firmly stuck in 5a and don’t really seem to be anywhere near of fielding a state champion caliber team anyways. Merrillville had a really talented team last year with a couple really good studs, yet their 2 losses last year both came in lopsided games to Chatard and Westfield (tremendous football teams who were both undoubtedly in the top 5 regardless of class). What is it going to take to see a 6a state champion out of 6a? I can honestly say I don’t think it will be anytime soon.

What i want to know is do people think the creation of a “7a” ,consisting of the largest Indy schools, the answer or even something that would ever be considered? I want nothing more than for literally anyone outside of Indy to win a 6a title for the sake of parity within the state but I just don’t see anything being done about it anytime soon. Then what would you do about the large non-Indy schools who are in the top 16 in student population? Do they join 7a due to their enrollment or stay in 6a and have a very significant numbers advantage over the rest of the remaining 6a schools? It would feel wrong having Penn with 3300+ students in 6a and have Perry Meridian with 2351 students in 7a just due to their location.

Edited by Bears62

Penn and Snider were 2 of the perennial powers in Indiana for decades, yet they have both seen a recent decline that they have not experienced before.

So that is the fault of Indy areas schools.....yes lets create "7A"....the stupidity continues to amaze me

• Disdain 1

20 hours ago, Bears62 said:

Since the creation of 6A Indiana hs football, Indy schools have won all 8 state championships. Prior to that, Indy schools had won 12 straight state titles in 5A. Is there even a plausible solution out there to balance the playing field? It would seem silly to create a “7a” that consists of roughly 16 or so of the largest Indy schools, not to mention it sounds far less exciting. But Indy’s domination has gotten to the point where you can’t help but think that maybe something should be done. Indy schools have won 20 in a row of the largest class state titles, and there is really no end in sight.

Penn and Snider were 2 of the perennial powers in Indiana for decades, yet they have both seen a recent decline that they have not experienced before. Yes I know Snider won a 5A title 4-5 years ago, but they are firmly stuck in 5a and don’t really seem to be anywhere near of fielding a state champion caliber team anyways. Merrillville had a really talented team last year with a couple really good studs, yet their 2 losses last year both came in lopsided games to Chatard and Westfield (tremendous football teams who were both undoubtedly in the top 5 regardless of class). What is it going to take to see a 6a state champion out of 6a? I can honestly say I don’t think it will be anytime soon.

What i want to know is do people think the creation of a “7a” ,consisting of the largest Indy schools, the answer or even something that would ever be considered? I want nothing more than for literally anyone outside of Indy to win a 6a title for the sake of parity within the state but I just don’t see anything being done about it anytime soon. Then what would you do about the large non-Indy schools who are in the top 16 in student population? Do they join 7a due to their enrollment or stay in 6a and have a very significant numbers advantage over the rest of the remaining 6a schools? It would feel wrong having Penn with 3300+ students in 6a and have Perry Meridian with 2351 students in 7a just due to their location.

Lets wait 20 years and revisit 7A...

8 years is nothing, really. 

2 hours ago, Julio said:

Let’s do like other states and put all of the private schools in their own division.  Public schools go back to 5 classes and Private schools go into 2 classes.

You do understand, in other states and with their High School Athletic Associations, some where successful with the idea of placing their non-public schools in a tournament of classes but based only on their non-public status. In other states some non-public schools viewed this procedure as discriminatory, and in such a way, that some of them filed a lawsuit to have it sorted out in the courts.

Class 6A should include only the Top 24 schools in enrollment.  This will basically be an All Indy Class with the exception of northern schools Penn, Elkhart, Lake Central,  Crown Point, Homestead and Carroll

The new 6A would isolate all the near 3000 plus enrollment schools into their own separate class

Small current 6a schools like Merrillville, Snider, Jeff, Valpo would be relegated to 5A, significantly strengthening 5A against the growing domination of Cathedral and Roncalli

2 hours ago, Justasportsfan said:

7a could possibly bring more money..we had 5..now 6..has to be an end point somewhere..right? Not sure what the numbers were when it was only 5 classes as far as teams outside naptown winning on average..or when it was 3 classes..it was at one point 3 correct?

It was 3 classes prior to 1983.

7 hours ago, DT said:

Class 6A should include only the Top 24 schools in enrollment.  This will basically be an All Indy Class with the exception of northern schools Penn, Elkhart, Lake Central,  Crown Point, Homestead and Carroll

The new 6A would isolate all the near 3000 plus enrollment schools into their own separate class

Small current 6a schools like Merrillville, Snider, Jeff, Valpo would be relegated to 5A, significantly strengthening 5A against the growing domination of Cathedral and Roncalli

I like it but with 24 you have to determine scenarios for byes.  How would you do that?

Why not 16?

On 4/17/2021 at 9:04 PM, Bears62 said:

So what happens when the same schools dominate 7A? Do you just throw BD, WC, CG, and Carmel in 8A?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DT said:

Class 6A should include only the Top 24 schools in enrollment.  This will basically be an All Indy Class with the exception of northern schools Penn, Elkhart, Lake Central,  Crown Point, Homestead and Carroll.

27 minutes ago, temptation said:

I like it but with 24 you have to determine scenarios for byes.  How would you do that?

Why not 16?

I don’t think 16 teams is enough for a “class.” Frankly, I’m not that comfortable with 24, but at least it’s better than 16. And as far as a process for determining byes, who cares? Pick a way. It’s not rocket science.

18 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

So what happens when the same schools dominate 7A? Do you just throw BD, WC, CG, and Carmel in 8A?

Nah, you keep them in 7A.  It’s not about “stopping” those four, more so about giving the teams at the bottom of 6A in terms of enrollment a fair opportunity.

A 2/1 enrollment advantage in a sport like football is simply a numbers game...it’s not a fair fight.

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I don’t think 16 teams is enough for a “class.” Frankly, I’m not that comfortable with 24, but at least it’s better than 16. And as far as a process for determining byes, who cares? Pick a way. It’s not rocket science.

So 16 making a class makes you feel uncomfortable but giving 1/3 of a 24 team field a bye based on a random method doesn’t?

Interesting.

• Thanks 1