Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

European “Super League”: Is it a template for the Power 5?

Bobref

Some of the most prominent teams in the sport of soccer have broken away from the established order to form a super league. The backlash has been ferocious. Will this experience provide impetus for the push to have the Power 5 football conferences (plus ND, of course) secede from the NCAA? What sort of backlash might they face? 

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/european-super-league-explained-what-is-it-teams-in-and-out-fifa-uefa-premier-league-reaction-and-updates/

Edited by Bobref

58 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Some of the most prominent teams in the sport of soccer have broken away from the established order to form a super league. The backlash has been ferocious. Will this experience provide impetus for the push to have the Power 5 football conferences (plus ND, of course) secede from the NCAA? What sort of backlash might they face? 

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/european-super-league-explained-what-is-it-teams-in-and-out-fifa-uefa-premier-league-reaction-and-updates/

If this new league is successful (ie. makes lots of $)  then sure it cold provide a roadmap for certain schools/conferences to thumb their nose at the NCAA and leave that organization.

Well, the Super League didn’t last long. Can’t believe those whacky Europeans didn’t foresee the pushback from organized soccer. Think about our NCAA analogy. If the Power 5 football schools seceded from the NCAA, what would happen to the other sports at those schools? I assume you’d have to either be an NCAA member for all sports, or none. Would the administrators who would run the new football super association give a rat’s behind about women’s lacrosse?

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

Well, the Super League didn’t last long. Can’t believe those whacky Europeans didn’t foresee the pushback from organized soccer. Think about our NCAA analogy. If the Power 5 football schools seceded from the NCAA, what would happen to the other sports at those schools? I assume you’d have to either be an NCAA member for all sports, or none. Would the administrators who would run the new football super association give a rat’s behind about women’s lacrosse?

Good question.....I think with the type of revenue that many of the top schools generate, to stay compliant with Title IX, they will be able to continue to fund those other sports. I was also thinking...wasn't it California that passed a law that allowed colleges to pay their athletes? Obviously, if schools chose to go that route, they would no longer be in the NCAA. I am guessing though it did lead to a number of conversations on campuses around the country. I am willing to bet that in our lifetime, the next 10-15 years, we will see some major changes coming.