Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Rondale Moore and the Chicago Bears - A Perfect Fit?

Guest DT

https://beargoggleson.com/2021/04/02/rondale-moore-chicago-bears-explosion/

I think so.  Its very easy to envision Moore donning the Navy and Orange of our Beloved.

Moore is the most exciting player I have ever seen on the football field.  While his college career was cut short, perhaps the lack of PT preserved his body for a long career in the big league.  I hope Da Bears scoop him up in the second round.

Edited by DT

11 minutes ago, temptation said:

“If the Bears only had a quarterback.”

- Every Bears fan in my lifetime

Exactly.  While the "elite" kickoff and punt returners are nice, and this is a role I envision Mr. Moore can fill,  we need an elite level quarterback.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, temptation said:

“If the Bears only had a quarterback.”

- Every Bears fan in my lifetime

True Bear fans know that we are not a franchise that depends on a Pro Bowl-Hall of Fame Caliber signal caller.

The Bears calling cards have always been defense and a strong ground game.  This is entrenched in the DNA of the franchise.  Simple math and the salary cap preclude most NFL teams from achieving elite status 

Even in the Bears championship season of 1985 and in the Super Bowl loss to Indy, we had quarterbacks who ranked in the bottom half of the league in every aspect.  

So I go into the 2021 season with high hopes for Andy Dalton.  He is a seasoned pro and a rugged dude, much more accomplished than any of his recent predecessors in Chicago.  

If Chicago can run the football, protect Dalton and put some talented receivers on the field, 11-5 is certainly not out of the question.  

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE   

11 minutes ago, DT said:

True Bear fans know that we are not a franchise that depends on a Pro Bowl-Hall of Fame Caliber signal caller.

The Bears calling cards have always been defense and a strong ground game.  This is entrenched in the DNA of the franchise.  Simple math and the salary cap preclude most NFL teams from achieving elite status 

Even in the Bears championship season of 1985 and in the Super Bowl loss to Indy, we had quarterbacks who ranked in the bottom half of the league in every aspect.  

So I go into the 2021 season with high hopes for Andy Dalton.  He is a seasoned pro and a rugged dude, much more accomplished than any of his recent predecessors in Chicago.  

If Chicago can run the football, protect Dalton and put some talented receivers on the field, 11-5 is certainly not out of the question.  

I couldn't agree more,  Can you get that through Matt Nagy's bald skull too?     RUN THE BALL.    PLAY ACTION PASS.... MOVE THE POCKET..... SIMPLE 

18 minutes ago, DT said:

Maybe you should start being a franchise that depends on a solid HOF/Pro-Bowl signal caller.

Look at the recent trend of Super Bowl winners.  QB play is pretty damn important.

• Like 1

QB play always has and always will be critical to success in the NFL.  I do believe that weather and the elements tend to mitigate great qb play in Chicago.  Outside of GB, the Bears play in the harshest climate in the league.  Minnesota has been playing indoors for 40 years.  

So Bear philosophy supports the notion that great defense and a punishing ground game will mitigate great QB play.  

But it takes both at full optimization to propel Chicago to the top of the league 

18 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I looked it up. The average annual snowfall in Buffalo is almost 8 ft. That’s more than Chicago and Green Bay combined.

Snow does not impact the passing game near as much as wind does

Then you build your stadium right on the windy lake front.  Not a good combination to benefit the passing game

Its really hard to believe how the Bengals did not have more success with Dalton at QB.  He had several solid seasons in Cincy.  Youve got to love his 218/126 TD/INT ratio.  Hes only 6-2/220 maybe that has worked against him.  But I will take that over the little guys in Cleveland and Phoenix.

Andy Dalton stats
Career stats

Year
Team
CMP%
YDS
TD
INT
Rating

Career

8 hours ago, DT said:

Snow does not impact the passing game near as much as wind does

Then you build your stadium right on the windy lake front.  Not a good combination to benefit the passing game

The average annual wind speed of Chicago is 10.3 mph. The average annual wind speed of Buffalo, NY is 14.68 mph. This from the Wikipedia entry on Highmark Stadium, where the Bills play:

Buffalo, by virtue of its position downwind of Lake Erie, is one of the nation's windiest cities, and as a result, Highmark Stadium is difficult for kickers, with swirling winds that change direction rapidly. This is exacerbated by the stadium's design. The field is 50 feet (15 m) below ground level, while the top of the upper deck stands only 60 feet (18 m) above ground. The open end lies parallel to the direction of the prevailing winds, so when the winds come in, they immediately drop down into the bowl, causing the stadium's signature wind patterns.

9 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The average annual wind speed of Chicago is 10.3 mph. The average annual wind speed of Buffalo, NY is 14.68 mph. This from the Wikipedia entry on Highmark Stadium, where the Bills play:

Buffalo, by virtue of its position downwind of Lake Erie, is one of the nation's windiest cities, and as a result, Highmark Stadium is difficult for kickers, with swirling winds that change direction rapidly. This is exacerbated by the stadium's design. The field is 50 feet (15 m) below ground level, while the top of the upper deck stands only 60 feet (18 m) above ground. The open end lies parallel to the direction of the prevailing winds, so when the winds come in, they immediately drop down into the bowl, causing the stadium's signature wind patterns.

Yikes.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Ok Bob.  You must be bored

Chicago AND Buffalo are the two most severe weather impacted NFL cities, along with Green Bay and it's deep frigid cold

19 minutes ago, DT said:

It’s only going to get worse. I’ve been hobbled with a walking boot lately, and I’m undergoing surgery Tuesday that’s going to have me essentially housebound for the foreseeable future. And Netflix and Amazon Prime can only take you so far.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DT said:

Chicago AND Buffalo are the two most severe weather impacted NFL cities, along with Green Bay and it's deep frigid cold

And two guys named Favre and Rodgers had hall of fame careers while playing in Green Bay.

Some guy named Jim Kelly wasn't bad for Buffalo either.

15 minutes ago, temptation said:

And two guys named Favre and Rodgers had hall of fame careers while playing in Green Bay.

Some guy named Jim Kelly wasn't bad for Buffalo either.

Clearly, GB has chosen a different path, and had more success

Jim Kelly would have been a perfect fit in Chicago.  But I don't see him in the same light as the all time greats

The best passing game I have seen in Chicago were the Jim Miller -Musin Muhammad years.  Dalton and Miller are quite similar.  There is reason for hope if we can put together a solid receiving corps 

Never been a Bears fan but it seems to me they never build an offense around the skill set of the quarterback they have.  I felt sorry for Fields when they picked him.  He's a great quarterback but he'll just "die" like so many others before him unless they change.

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

Never been a Bears fan but it seems to me they never build an offense around the skill set of the quarterback they have.  I felt sorry for Fields when they picked him.  He's a great quarterback but he'll just "die" like so many others before him unless they change.

“If the Bears only had a quarterback...”

On 4/22/2021 at 9:31 AM, DT said:

Jim Kelly would have been a perfect fit in Chicago.  But I don't see him in the same light as the all time greats

Yet, had he been a Bear, his stats would dwarf any 2 other Bear QBs.

Bears did the right thing by loading up on offensive linemen.  Sure would have liked to see Moore play with Fields.