Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SAGAMORE CONFERENCE 2021

Annual topic is open!  And while there was no conference champion awarded in 2020 (due to schools not playing the full SAG schedule), Danville won all their conference games... 

Danville has Kale Payne and Dostin back and is looking to get back to LOS on Thanksgiving weekend... 

Webo moves up to 3A after 3 straight State Titles in 2A... Luke Marsh, Connor Garrity, Robby Taylor, and Coppock will be tough to replace...

Tri-West lose Cora, Ross, Hendershot and others but brings back Depinet on D.

Frankfort showed improvement last year, Lebanon loses some skilled kids (Harker and Reese), and I have no idea what Montgomery County is bringing back... I know Southmont was really young last year... 

Expectations and thoughts on 2021?

• 3 months later...

4 days until Kick off.

Week 1 Match ups

Friday, Aug. 20
Danville at Franklin, 7 pm
Fountain Central at Southmont, 7 pm
Frankfort at Clinton Central, 7 pm
Greencastle at Crawfordsville, 7 pm
Central Catholic at Tri-West, 7 pm
Lebanon vs. Mooresville, 6 pm, Lucas Oil
North Putnam at North Montgomery, 7 pm
Sheridan at Western Boone, 7 pm

Not exactly murderer's row for the non-conference games.  Mooresville is pretty good but the rest doesn't look very challenging.  LCC is a good program obviously but 2 classes (without success factor anyway) below Tri-West.  I know Western Boone lost to Sheridan last year for the first time in forever and there were days where this was a top 1A team vs a top 2A team but Sheridan hasn't made noise in 1A for awhile and Webo is up in 3A now.  That 2nd week game against Western is a much better test for them.  Frankfort hasn't beaten Clinton Central yet and I'd love to see their program take another step forward and do that this season.  Them going 5-5 last season coming off back-to-back winless seasons was really impressive.  

What are the odds that this conference produces at least one participant in the 3A title game?  Real outside chance it could produce both which I can't think happens very often outside of the MIC in 6A.  

Friday, Aug. 20
Danville 20, Franklin 13
Frankfort 20, Clinton Central 12
Greencastle 26, Crawfordsville 6
Mooresville 35, Lebanon 7
North Montgomery 30, North Putnam 0
Southmont 28, Fountain Central 13
Tri-West 34, Central Catholic 32
Western Boone 55, Sheridan 13
Friday, Aug. 27
Clinton Prairie at Frankfort, 7 pm
Crawfordsville at West Vigo, 7 pm
Mooresville at Danville, 7 pm
North Montgomery at Hamilton Heights, 7 pm
Southmont at North Putnam, 7 pm
Tri-West at Plainfield, 7 pm
Western Boone at Western, 7 pm
Zionsville at Lebanon, 7 pm

Western Boone @ Western has been moved to Saturday Morning at 10:00 am

North Montgomery @ Heights has been cancelled.

Edited by 1st_and_10

On 4/26/2021 at 9:16 AM, 1st_and_10 said:

Frankfort showed improvement last year,

Maybe.  CC coughing up the ball I believe 5 times didn't hurt. And still their RB ran over the Hot Dogs for 173 yards.  Lots of mistakes on both sides of the ball.

We'll see how much they have improved when Tri-West visits in two weeks.

35 minutes ago, 1st_and_10 said:

Western Boone @ Western has been moved to Saturday Morning at 10:00 am

Was looking forward to this game more before Western got thumped by Kokomo. Now I'm not so sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Friday, Sep. 3
Danville 42, Lebanon 19 ©
Southmont 13, Seeger 0
Tri-West 61, Frankfort 14 ©
Western Boone 49, Crawfordsville 6 ©
Friday, Sep. 10
Danville at Crawfordsville ©, 7 pm
Frankfort at Southmont ©, 7 pm
North Montgomery at Lebanon ©, 7 pm
Tri-West at Western Boone ©, 7 pm

Game of the week is Tri-West at Western Boone.  Not sure if North Montgomery is out of quarantine yet or if they are out this week also.

Current Sag Standings:

SAGAMORE
ALL TIMES EASTERN
  CONFERENCE ALL GAMES
  W-L Pts OP W-L Pts OP Streak
Tri-West 1-0 61 14 3-  0 120 66 Won 3
Danville 1-0 42 19 2-  1 83 87 Won 1
Western Boone 1-0 49 6 2-  1 130 47 Won 1
Southmont 0-0 0 0 3-  0 73 20 Won 3
North Montgomery 0-0 0 0 1-  0 30 0 Won 1
Frankfort 0-1 14 61 2-  1 62 87 Lost 1
Crawfordsville 0-1 6 49 0-  3 38 122 Lost 14
Lebanon 0-1 19 42 0-  3 28 107 Lost 4

1 hour ago, Donnie Baker said:

I know Muda’s Weiners are improved but I think South Monts will win big. I swear to God they will 

I agree with your assessment.  South Montgomery's wins have been over better programs that Clinton Central and Clinton Prairie.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Donnie Baker said:

I know Muda’s Weiners are improved but I think South Monts will win big. I swear to God they will 

Maybe.  I just remember Frankfort won the game somewhat easily last season.  Things could have changed big time for either team or both since then but I would still not be surprised at all if Frankfort won.  Not necessarily predicting that, but it would not surprise me.  

Just watched the Tri-West Webo game on YouTube.  Bruins were able to more or less shut down the Stars running game to get the 20-11 win.  The lone touchdown for the Stars came on a pick-6.  

Next Friday the Bruins host Danville which will go a long way in determining the conference championship.  

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, superjay said:

At what point does the conference scrap the all-in conference schedule in Jr High/Middle School football?  The current state is not productive for anyone.  Multiple schools don’t have enough kids to play a full game.  Lopsided scores are common.  Any thoughts?

I think our Jr. High Coaching Staff would agree.

On 9/27/2021 at 1:17 PM, Muda69 said:

Look for the Sagamore conference to be gutted within the next five years. One can easily see the likes of Danville, Lebanon, Tri-West, and Western Boone fleeing to greener pastures of the Indianapolis metro/urban-sprawl athletic conferences.

Nah.  The Montgomery County schools are all fine.  Frankfort is the misfit.  They should go to the Hoosier Heartland Conference imo.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, XStar said:

Nah.  The Montgomery County schools are all fine.  Frankfort is the misfit.  They should go to the Hoosier Heartland Conference imo.  

Hmm, in regards to football Crawfordsville is "fine".  Really? :

2020 SEASON (0-10)

2019 SEASON (1-9)

2018 SEASON (1-9)

2017 SEASON (0-10)

2016 SEASON (2-8)

2015 SEASON (2-8)

2014 SEASON (2-8)

2013 SEASON (0-10)

2012 SEASON (1-9)

2011 SEASON (3-7)

2010 SEASON (1-9)

2009 SEASON (1-9)

2008 SEASON (4-6)

2007 SEASON (7-4)

Looks like the citizens of Crawfordsville make tackle football the same priority as the citizens of Frankfort.

• Sad 1

Don’t forget about the 0-6 record so far in 2021.  They are competitive in basketball and baseball (as is Frankfort, at least more so than in football historically).  Can’t really say it’s cyclical when it’s been down for 15 years.

Question would be the destination for the top 4.  Too small for Mid State, too big for Wabash River, Western Indiana possibly, but they already have 12 teams.  Indiana  Crossroads might be a slight improvement, but not enough to move.  Hoosier Athletic could be interesting.

My thought is Crawfordsville (and probably Frankfort) really needs to evaluate where football fits in their landscape, or if those resources are better deployed elsewhere.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Hmm, in regards to football Crawfordsville is "fine".  Really? :

2020 SEASON (0-10)

2019 SEASON (1-9)

2018 SEASON (1-9)

2017 SEASON (0-10)

2016 SEASON (2-8)

2015 SEASON (2-8)

2014 SEASON (2-8)

2013 SEASON (0-10)

2012 SEASON (1-9)

2011 SEASON (3-7)

2010 SEASON (1-9)

2009 SEASON (1-9)

2008 SEASON (4-6)

2007 SEASON (7-4)

Looks like the citizens of Crawfordsville make tackle football the same priority as the citizens of Frankfort.

I was talking about the cultural fit.  They are not "upscale" like Western Boone.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gaby said:

My thought is Crawfordsville (and probably Frankfort) really needs to evaluate where football fits in their landscape, or if those resources are better deployed elsewhere.

Yep. They should contract.

Edited by gonzoron

Here is how I see it.  Frankfort moves to Hoosier East and North Montgomery to Hoosier West.  Crawfordsville joins the WIC and makes 12 teams(that conference realigns Gold division-C-ville, Greencastle, West Vigo, Sullivan, Northview, N.Putnam Green division-Edgewood, S.Putnam, Cloverdale, Indian Creek, Owen Valley, Brown Cty).  Southmont moves to Wabash River and makes 9 team conference.  The remaining 4 combine with Circle City (TW, Lebanon, WeBo, Danville, Guerin, Chatard, Roncalli, Brebeuf).   Only a dream, but sure to make good conversation.

45 minutes ago, superjay said:

Here is how I see it.  Frankfort moves to Hoosier East and North Montgomery to Hoosier West.  Crawfordsville joins the WIC and makes 12 teams(that conference realigns Gold division-C-ville, Greencastle, West Vigo, Sullivan, Northview, N.Putnam Green division-Edgewood, S.Putnam, Cloverdale, Indian Creek, Owen Valley, Brown Cty).  Southmont moves to Wabash River and makes 9 team conference.  The remaining 4 combine with Circle City (TW, Lebanon, WeBo, Danville, Guerin, Chatard, Roncalli, Brebeuf).   Only a dream, but sure to make good conversation.

Hoosier is full. Frankfort will have a tough time finding a conference if they try to make a move

Edited by gonzoron

15 hours ago, gaby said:

Don’t forget about the 0-6 record so far in 2021.  They are competitive in basketball and baseball (as is Frankfort, at least more so than in football historically).  Can’t really say it’s cyclical when it’s been down for 15 years.

Question would be the destination for the top 4.  Too small for Mid State, too big for Wabash River, Western Indiana possibly, but they already have 12 teams.  Indiana  Crossroads might be a slight improvement, but not enough to move.  Hoosier Athletic could be interesting.

Frankfort is a "4A' school in name only.  Due to socioeconomic realities it really only has about a 2A level talent/depth base.  Therefore the Hoosier Heartland would be a good fit.  The conference already has two 2A schools in Delphi and Eastern Howard.

1 hour ago, superjay said:

I think this could work well for TW and Danville who would likely stick together through any movement.  I don't think the Montgomery County schools have any interest in splitting up into different conferences.  I think Western Boone will always look at the Montgomery County schools and Lebanon as their main rivals and would want to stay in a conference with both.  I could see Lebanon looking to move on to a more Indy-centric conference at some point but their football team doesn't really demand an upgrade in competition at this point.  When they are at their best, they compete near the top of the Sagamore but they aren't ready to compete regularly against the Indy Catholic powers or larger public programs like Brownsburg and Zionsville.