Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SAGAMORE CONFERENCE 2021

21 hours ago, XStar said:

I think this could work well for TW and Danville who would likely stick together through any movement.  I don't think the Montgomery County schools have any interest in splitting up into different conferences.  I think Western Boone will always look at the Montgomery County schools and Lebanon as their main rivals and would want to stay in a conference with both.  I could see Lebanon looking to move on to a more Indy-centric conference at some point but their football team doesn't really demand an upgrade in competition at this point.  When they are at their best, they compete near the top of the Sagamore but they aren't ready to compete regularly against the Indy Catholic powers or larger public programs like Brownsburg and Zionsville.    

As Old Red in Shawshank Redemption says,  "Get busy livin, or get busy dying."  

On 9/27/2021 at 1:17 PM, Muda69 said:

One can easily see the likes of Danville, Lebanon, Tri-West, and Western Boone fleeing to greener pastures of the Indianapolis metro/urban-sprawl athletic conferences.

Only Lebanon out of the teams mentioned here is an original member of the Sagamore. Why do the newcomers always seek "greener pastures"? Never happy with where they are? 

16 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Only Lebanon out of the teams mentioned here is an original member of the Sagamore. Why do the newcomers always seek "greener pastures"? Never happy with where they are? 

I think you'll answer your own question by looking at the conference history of your own loved Hamilton Heights Huskies.  They were a charter member of the Mid-Capitla/Rangeline Conference, were they not?  Why did that conference eventually fall apart and left it's members seeing greener pastures? The same with the Huskies relatively short stint in the Mid-Indiana Conference.

6 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I think you'll answer your own question by looking at the conference history of your own loved Hamilton Heights Huskies.  They were a charter member of the Mid-Capitla/Rangeline Conference, were they not?  Why did that conference eventually fall apart and left it's members seeing greener pastures? The same with the Huskies relatively short stint in the Mid-Indiana Conference.

Hamilton Heights did not leave either of those conferences voluntarily. Both Conferences you mention disbanded. So no, looking at Hamilton Heights does not answer my question.

Edited by gonzoron
  • Like 1

Just now, gonzoron said:

Hamilton Heights did not leave either of those conferences voluntarily. They disbanded. So no, looking at Hamilton Heights does not answer my question.

Ok, you only need to look at the giant growth of your southern Hamilton county neighbors to find your answer.  Do you really think a current day Rangline conference containing the like of Sheridan and Westfield is a good idea?   Of course not.   Schools leave for the "greener pastures" of improved competitiveness,  reduced travel time, etc.

Would you have any issues with the Hamilton Heights of today being in the same athletic conference with today's Westfield, Zionsville, Avon, and Hamilton Southeastern?

On 9/28/2021 at 5:07 PM, gaby said:

Don’t forget about the 0-6 record so far in 2021.  They are competitive in basketball and baseball (as is Frankfort, at least more so than in football historically).  Can’t really say it’s cyclical when it’s been down for 15 years.

Question would be the destination for the top 4.  Too small for Mid State, too big for Wabash River, Western Indiana possibly, but they already have 12 teams.  Indiana  Crossroads might be a slight improvement, but not enough to move.  Hoosier Athletic could be interesting.

My thought is Crawfordsville (and probably Frankfort) really needs to evaluate where football fits in their landscape, or if those resources are better deployed elsewhere.

I don't know that Webo leaves the Sag.  They have had great success in football, but it really doesn't make sense for the other sports.  

23 hours ago, XStar said:

I think this could work well for TW and Danville who would likely stick together through any movement.  I don't think the Montgomery County schools have any interest in splitting up into different conferences.  I think Western Boone will always look at the Montgomery County schools and Lebanon as their main rivals and would want to stay in a conference with both.  I could see Lebanon looking to move on to a more Indy-centric conference at some point but their football team doesn't really demand an upgrade in competition at this point.  When they are at their best, they compete near the top of the Sagamore but they aren't ready to compete regularly against the Indy Catholic powers or larger public programs like Brownsburg and Zionsville.    

Obviously Lebanon is the main rival in all sports... In football, I would say Tri-West is probably #2 and Danville #3 especially the last several years.  All these kids are growing up playing against Lebanon, Danville, and Tri-West in football.  The Montgomery County Schools/Frankfort struggle to get teams on the field in youth and Jr. High.

I think Lebanon really needs to move... They are the biggest school in the conference yet they struggle to win in it (and not just football).  I am not sure what the Sagamore does for them... At some point it has to make sense for them to move... But like mentioned, I have no idea where they go where they can compete.

I do think Danville will look to move also... They are a pretty large 3A and with the growth and announcement of a few housing neighborhoods going in there, I think they will be 4A very soon.  Not sure how much longer they stay in SAG.  And if they go, I would assume Tri-West will go with them.

Edited by 1st_and_10
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Would you have any issues with the Hamilton Heights of today being in the same athletic conference with today's Westfield, Zionsville, Avon, and Hamilton Southeastern?

No, I wouldn't have a problem with that. I think the other schools would be the ones who had issues with it. But back to my original point, Hamilton Heights has never voluntarily left a Conference they were a member of for 'greener pastures' as you claim.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

No, I wouldn't have a problem with that. 

I bet most other HH parents and fans are glad you are not the AD.   Are there any circumstances whatsoever where you believe a high school should voluntarily leave an athletic conference for another?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I bet most other HH parents and fans are glad you are not the AD.   Are there any circumstances whatsoever where you believe a high school should voluntarily leave an athletic conference for another?

Hamilton Heights has never been faced with making this decision. Conference changes were always due to multiple teams leaving. In the case of the Mid-Indiana, 4 of the 8 teams left in the same year because they could not compete. Including your beloved Maconaquah.

11 minutes ago, superjay said:

So let’s say the Sagamore is never breaking up.  What four schools could we add to balance the conference and possibly split into large school/small school?

If 4 teams decide to leave the Sagamore, it most likely will die. It happened to the Range Line and the Mid-Indiana, possibly others in the State such as the MWC.

45 minutes ago, 1st_and_10 said:

I could see a major conference restructure happen in the next few years (and not just the SAG)... The million dollar question, is who will start the domino effect?

Center Grove & Carmel going to the HCC very soon....Trickle down effect from there. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Including your beloved Maconaquah.

Hail! Hail! Maconaquah!

Hail to the Red and the Blue!

Hail! Hail! to MHS, to our Braves we will always be true.

Fight! Fight for victory, whether odds be great or small

Honor, Love, and Praise we give to our Maconaquah!

7 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Hail! Hail! Maconaquah!

Hail to the Red and the Blue!

Hail! Hail! to MHS, to our Braves we will always be true.

Fight! Fight for victory, whether odds be great or small

Honor, Love, and Praise we give to our Maconaquah!

I think they changed that in 2015.

• Disdain 1

2 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

The Montgomery County Schools/Frankfort struggle to get teams on the field in youth and Jr. High.

THIS!  I believe all three MoCo high schools have decent to good coaching staffs, but there are too many athletes in the hallways that do not play football, for whatever reason.  Schlicher in particular needs to build a culture starting in grade school and keep them in the program.

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

Hamilton Heights has never been faced with making this decision. Conference changes were always due to multiple teams leaving. In the case of the Mid-Indiana, 4 of the 8 teams left in the same year because they could not compete. Including your beloved Maconaquah.

If 4 teams decide to leave the Sagamore, it most likely will die. It happened to the Range Line and the Mid-Indiana, possibly others in the State such as the MWC.

Please learn to read.  If Sagamore were to ADD 4 schools.  Which 4 schools make the most sense?

2 hours ago, superjay said:

So let’s say the Sagamore is never breaking up.  What four schools could we add to balance the conference and possibly split into large school/small school?

Raiding the WIC to a degree, but I would like Northview, Greencastle, West Vigo, and possibly West Lafayette as a fourth.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gaby said:

Raiding the WIC to a degree, but I would like Northview, Greencastle, West Vigo, and possibly West Lafayette as a fourth.

No thanks. It is an hour and 45 minute drive between Brazil and Frankfort,  2 hours and 5 minutes from West Terre Haute to Frankfort.

Frankfort's best bet is either petitioning to join the Hoosier Heartland or groveling before the lords of the Hoosier Conference for a place at the table.

3 hours ago, superjay said:

Please learn to read.  If Sagamore were to ADD 4 schools.  Which 4 schools make the most sense?

Heritage Christian, Brebeuf, Tipton, Hamilton Heights, Speedway.

If you start looking smaller, which I wouldn't, then Sheridan, Clinton Prairie, and Clinton Central.  And I only include those schools because under your premise Frankfort is still in the conference.  

8 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Neither of these have any reason to leave the Hoosier Conference. 

Agree.  Just answering the hypothetical about teams that should be attractive to the Sagamore.  Hoosier Conference is solid in spite of a terrible name.  

14 hours ago, superjay said:

Which game will be the biggest blowout this Friday?  I got Danville over Frankfort #1.  Lebanon over C-Ville #2

Yeah, the Danville starters can probably leave after the first quarter so they can start watching film and prepping for Western Boone next week.

9 hours ago, XStar said:

Hoosier Conference is solid in spite of a terrible name.  

They should rename it the Hoosier Flatlands Conference to juxtapose with the Hoosier Hills Conference.

Edited by Muda69