Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Breaking News: Warsaw and Warren Central sign a 2-year deal to play home and home in 2024 and 2025

32 minutes ago, DT said:

Here are a few more interstate matchups Id like to see :

IMG vs Center Grove

Pickerington Central OH vs Carmel

Cleveland St Ignatius vs Ft Wayne Dwenger

Cincy St Xavier vs New Palestine

Homewood Flossmoor vs Crown Point (The Buzea Bowl)

Colerain OH vs Columbus East

Louisville Trinity vs Bishop Chatard

Chicago Mt Carmel vs Merrillville

So, what have you got against the mighty Eagles of St. Edward, who (pre-pandemic) traveled more often and farther than all those teams? Back in the day, St. Edward and Cathedral were both run by the Congregation of the Holy Cross, and were referred to as “sister schools” (which I thought was odd because the faculty was primarily Holy Cross brothers). They often traded faculty. They played a home and home series just a few years ago. It would be great to renew that.

The rest of your proposed matchups are OK, but anything involving IMG will run afoul of the ill-advised “travel rule.”

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Bobref said:

So, what have you got against the mighty Eagles of St. Edward, who (pre-pandemic) traveled more often and farther than all those teams? Back in the day, St. Edward and Cathedral were both run by the Congregation of the Holy Cross, and were referred to as “sister schools” (which I thought was odd because the faculty was primarily Holy Cross brothers). They often traded faculty. They played a home and home series just a few years ago. It would be great to renew that.

The rest of your proposed matchups are OK, but anything involving IMG will run afoul of the ill-advised “travel rule.”

Gave me a giggle.  The kind of thing one of the priests at my elementary school would say and never bat an eye.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Not if IMG flies into Indy.  They travel.  

34 minutes ago, DT said:

Not if IMG flies into Indy.  They travel.  

Nope. Won’t work.

10-1 Out-of-State Contest Limitations
The address of out-of-state schools participating in a Contest against a member School as well as the site of such Contests must be within Six-hundred (600) miles round trip travel from the Indiana state line and shall be sponsored or co-sponsored by a member high School.

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Nope. Won’t work.

10-1 Out-of-State Contest Limitations
The address of out-of-state schools participating in a Contest against a member School as well as the site of such Contests must be within Six-hundred (600) miles round trip travel from the Indiana state line and shall be sponsored or co-sponsored by a member high School.

Thats interesting.  IMG travelled to Dallas and to Nashville this past season.  I wonder if the IHSAA would grant CG a waiver if they were to concince IMG to come in for a game.  

15 minutes ago, DT said:

Thats interesting.  IMG travelled to Dallas and to Nashville this past season.  I wonder if the IHSAA would grant CG a waiver if they were to concince IMG to come in for a game.  

My understanding is that they’ve done it plenty in the past for basketball, but never for football.

11 hours ago, DT said:

Here are a few more interstate matchups Id like to see :

IMG vs Center Grove

Pickerington Central OH vs Carmel

Cleveland St Ignatius vs Ft Wayne Dwenger

Cincy St Xavier vs New Palestine

Homewood Flossmoor vs Crown Point (The Buzea Bowl)

Colerain OH vs Columbus East

Louisville Trinity vs Bishop Chatard

Chicago Mt Carmel vs Merrillville

I don't want any team from Indiana playing IMG.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DT said:

Coach Buzea may not be a big fan of the CP-Lowell matchup   Might be worth his time to reach out to the CP AD

16 hours ago, Bobref said:

Abolish the longest running high school football rivalry — The Battle for ‘The Old Leather Helmet” — in the state? Find another way.

For what it's worth - it looks like Warsaw is playing Chesterton in 2022 and 2023. Also, looks like the Michigan City matchup is only guaranteed/agreed upon through 2022 season. So the Tiger's out of conference opponents the next few years are:

2021: Dublin Coffman (OH) and Michigan City
2022: Chesterton and Michigan City
2023: Chesterton and ?????
2024: Warren Central and ?????
2025: Warren Central and ?????

13 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

Which Week of the season is this? Is that known? Will it be week 2 or week 9? Maybe I missed that in there.

That I have not seen confirmed/mentioned at the moment, but it would have to either be week 1 or week 2 due to the fact that the NLC plays all their conference games from week 3 through week 9 during the season.

7 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

For what it's worth - it looks like Warsaw is playing Chesterton in 2022 and 2023. Also, looks like the Michigan City matchup is only guaranteed/agreed upon through 2022 season. So the Tiger's out of conference opponents the next few years are:

2021: Dublin Coffman (OH) and Michigan City
2022: Chesterton and Michigan City
2023: Chesterton and ?????
2024: Warren Central and ?????
2025: Warren Central and ?????

That I have not seen confirmed/mentioned at the moment, but it would have to either be week 1 or week 2 due to the fact that the NLC plays all their conference games from week 3 through week 9 during the season.

Tell Coach to reach out to Center Grove.  They may be ready to cancel the Cathedral contract.  They like to rotate

One thing I think you can expect from Coach Kirschner at Warren is schedule continuity. At least when he was at BD, he wanted long term stability in that regard. Good for Warsaw wanting to play Warren. That's always a problem for the MIC's Big 4. 

Will it be a great game? Dunno, but Warsaw will be better for playing up in competition. At least they'll know that they tried. Wonder if there's some Kirschner/Warsaw connection in coaching friendships, etc.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DT said:

Tell Coach to reach out to Center Grove.  They may be ready to cancel the Cathedral contract.  They like to rotate

3 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

One thing I think you can expect from Coach Kirschner at Warren is schedule continuity. At least when he was at BD, he wanted long term stability in that regard.

So, what prepares the team better for the tournament? Playing the same (good) teams year after year? Or having to scout, plan and adjust for teams you don’t see regularly, thinking that they will be worthy opponents, but not really knowing that when you schedule several years in the future? It would seem to me that the latter would be preferred, since that is probably what you’re doing in the upper levels of the tournament.

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

So, what prepares the team better for the tournament? Playing the same (good) teams year after year? Or having to scout, plan and adjust for teams you don’t see regularly, thinking that they will be worthy opponents, but not really knowing that when you schedule several years in the future? It would seem to me that the latter would be preferred, since that is probably what you’re doing in the upper levels of the tournament.

I don't disagree with that. I just wouldn't expect he'll have an open spot on the schedule going into the year as they have had the last few years at WC. That's my point. If he can do a long term deal with someone, he tends to do that. At BD, they were able to lock down Avon for a long time. Before Pike joined the MIC, they were locked in for a long time. I think Tech signed a long deal. He really wanted Brownsburg, but that didn't get done until he was leaving/out the door. Just saying that this is a trend with him. Nail down that schedule.

Edited by BDGiant93

7 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

One thing I think you can expect from Coach Kirschner at Warren is schedule continuity. At least when he was at BD, he wanted long term stability in that regard. Good for Warsaw wanting to play Warren. That's always a problem for the MIC's Big 4. 

Will it be a great game? Dunno, but Warsaw will be better for playing up in competition. At least they'll know that they tried. Wonder if there's some Kirschner/Warsaw connection in coaching friendships, etc.

Yeah I wondered that too. Coach Curtis and Coach Kirschner have been involved in Indiana High School football for a LONG time... perhaps they have a good relationship (I truly have no idea)

And I agree with your 3rd and 4th sentence. Do I expect Warsaw to be competitive? I do not believe that can be answered at this time. The kids that will be seniors and juniors in those games will be playing at the two Warsaw middle schools this season and on the Freshman team this upcoming year. But I certainly hope it builds excitement and buy in to the program from those in the community to understand what it will take for their football program to be elevated (and not get completely embarrassed in 2024 and 2025)

25 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Yeah I wondered that too. Coach Curtis and Coach Kirschner have been involved in Indiana High School football for a LONG time... perhaps they have a good relationship (I truly have no idea)

And I agree with your 3rd and 4th sentence. Do I expect Warsaw to be competitive? I do not believe that can be answered at this time. The kids that will be seniors and juniors in those games will be playing at the two Warsaw middle schools this season and on the Freshman team this upcoming year. But I certainly hope it builds excitement and buy in to the program from those in the community to understand what it will take for their football program to be elevated (and not get completely embarrassed in 2024 and 2025)

This is a game you put on your schedule when you want to take a step forward in the state tournament. I know I get a lot of flak from time to time for trumpeting the MIC, but there's nothing like high-level MIC football in this state. The players are all fast and mostly big and all strong. It gives you an idea of the speed of the game at that level. That way you don't get shellacked when you end up meeting a MIC team for real in the tourney. Every bit counts. Upsets happen. Bravo to Warsaw for stepping up.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I would agree to an extent; however, sometimes conference schedules kind of lock you in on what you can work with and sometimes continuity helps for the other "extra games."  In the Hoosier Conference, some of the teams only play other HC teams for the whole season, while others have the standard 7-game ... four in-division, two cross-division, and end-of-season crossover championship game ... plus two "open dates."  West Lafayette, for their open dates have often consistently scheduled cross-river 5A opponent McCutcheon for the last seven years and has, for the other date had a combination of Tri-West or Jeff for other other open date for the past decade or so.  LCC has also been in a similar mode of doing the standard HC 7-game routine and has scheduled Guerin, their sister school, for the past decade and a half in one of the open dates.

In line with what you are saying though, the teams of the HC see a fairly decent mix of teams and offenses/defenses in the course of the season, so they may well be getting that diversity and "shake up" that you are referencing as getting ready for the tourney through the conference play.  The HC has had four different teams represented at LOS in the past decade across three different classes.

2 hours ago, DT said:

I would expect a 35-14 type IMG win over CG.  Thats well worth watching, IMO.

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/img-academy-ascenders-(bradenton,fl)/football/schedule.htm

I would never play IMG no matter what school or talent you have. IMG is not true high school football. Indiana teams have plenty of solid talented schools to compete against. Also, I doubt CG would want to schedule another top team. MIC and HCC schools need a break every now and then. Wins matter too.

1 hour ago, Grover said:

I have no interest in seeing CG play IMG.

Would you be jealous if IMG scheduled Warren, Carmel or BD as part of its "Tour of the Midwest?"

20 hours ago, Bobref said:

Abolish the longest running high school football rivalry — The Battle for ‘The Old Leather Helmet” — in the state? Find another way.

Coach Curtis fears nobody.

Bobref....I thought Logansport vs Peru was the longest running rivalry in football for Indiana.  Wonder where one could find that info...

20 hours ago, Bobref said:

I don't think this is accurate (sorry not trying to call you out Bobref), but I've also read where this is the longest running football rivalry in other threads so I had to take a look... according to John Harrell's site Lowell and CP did not play in 1994-1996. They have opened the season every year since 1997