Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Breaking News: Warsaw and Warren Central sign a 2-year deal to play home and home in 2024 and 2025

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Money talks.  Free lunches walk.

Track, football and basketball are usually the sports LEAST affected by SES and Carmel/CG went 5/6 in THOSE sports.

In fact, if baseball, softball, golf and tennis go as expected, it appears CG/Carmel are about to go 18/20 in terms of conference championships.

8 minutes ago, temptation said:

Track, football and basketball are usually the sports LEAST affected by SES and Carmel/CG went 5/6 in THOSE sports.

...which probably explains NC's dominance in tennis.

Side note- "North Central" has to be the least creative name that a school could possibly have. 

56 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Side note- "North Central" has to be the least creative name that a school could possibly have. 

Carmel won the state title in boys tennis and is currently ranked #2 (behind Park Tudor) in girls tennis.

5 hours ago, DT said:

Crown Point could sneak in to your Top 5 if they beat Valpo and Merrillville.  

Young team last year? They got waxed twice by Merrillville last year. Looks like maybe one good team over the past decade?

Edited by BTF
correction

6 hours ago, BTF said:

Young team last year? They got waxed twice by Merrillville last year. Looks like maybe one good team over the past decade?

Biggest change is that they are now under the direction of one of the most qualified and experienced coaching staffs in the state.  

20 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

As opposed to "South Central"?  

10 hours ago, DT said:

Biggest change is that they are now under the direction of one of the most qualified and experienced coaching staffs in the state.  

He did have some impressive teams when he was at Portage. I remember some of his teams of the 90's. You didn't get to state without going through them. I remember Snider's 12-0 team in '94 bowing out to them.

21 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

Washington Central would be the township name + Central. I'm thinking since there was already George Washington HS in Indy they probably went with North Central instead. 

In the 1990's, Wayne Township opened an elementary school and had a naming competition. They chose...North Wayne.

32 minutes ago, BTF said:

He did have some impressive teams when he was at Portage. I remember some of his teams of the 90's. You didn't get to state without going through them. I remember Snider's 12-0 team in '94 bowing out to them.

He did his best work at Homewood Flossmoor  

19 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Washington Central would be the township name + Central. I'm thinking since there was already George Washington HS in Indy they probably went with North Central instead. 

In the 1990's, Wayne Township opened an elementary school and had a naming competition. They chose...North Wayne.

Also, Washington Township is the middle township on the North Side of Indy, hence North + Central. When North Central opened in the 50's many students came from outside the city limits and started to cut into the enrollments of Broad Ripple and Shortridge. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DT said:

He did his best work at Homewood Flossmoor  

Good for Portage. It's time for the Duneland to flex it's muscle at the 6a level. I think the future looks bright for the north. Valpo seems to be on solid ground. Merrillville is playing at a high level. It's just a matter of time for Portage. Warsaw is on the up and up. The Homestead and Carroll districts continue to grow and pump money into their facilities. And Snider may have a team over the next couple of years that could bump them back to 6a. Penn is still Penn. Not 'Geesman' Penn, but still solid.

On 4/30/2021 at 8:41 PM, BTF said:

A two loss regular season seems to be the norm for Bart Curtis at Warsaw. Does he do better in 2021? I think they get over that hump this year. They may have solidified themselves as a Top 5 team in 6A North. 

1. Penn

2. Merrillville

3. Elkhart

4. Homestead

5. Warsaw/Carroll

If I am being honest - this year might be a down year for the Tigers. They lost quite a bit of production on both sides of the ball this year, and defensively last year was not impressive IMO. Not like the defenses they have had in recent years. I would not be surprised if Warsaw goes .500 this year and maybe next year. However this past season, both middle school programs and the freshman team looked really good, so the not so distant future could be bright for the Tigers.

*Side note to your rankings - maybe your 6A North line is everyone north of US 24, but I would put Westfield and Lafayette Jeff in that top 5. At the very least both of those programs are higher up than Warsaw and FW Carroll. Westfield would probably be #1 IMO and Jeff/Homestead tied at #5

7 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

If I am being honest - this year might be a down year for the Tigers. They lost quite a bit of production on both sides of the ball this year, and defensively last year was not impressive IMO. Not like the defenses they have had in recent years. I would not be surprised if Warsaw goes .500 this year and maybe next year. However this past season, both middle school programs and the freshman team looked really good, so the not so distant future could be bright for the Tigers.

*Side note to your rankings - maybe your 6A North line is everyone north of US 24, but I would put Westfield and Lafayette Jeff in that top 5. At the very least both of those programs are higher up than Warsaw and FW Carroll. Westfield would probably be #1 IMO and Jeff/Homestead tied at #5

I'm talking about pure northern teams. I don't consider Westfield to be north in the slightest. They are an Indy team thrown in the northern bracket. I feel like Jeff is right on the line. Sometimes I credit them for being north, sometimes I don't. It depends on the day I guess. 

Regarding Warsaw. Good coaches typically improve there programs every year it seems for their first 5 or 6 seasons, then there is a trail off. That's all I was basing my prediction on. I will defer to you on that one, you know way more about their program than I do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

BuT WhAt ABoUt SoCIeoEcONomiC DEmOGrApHIcS?

Just punt on this topic my man.  You've failed to answer my man's question about your plan to turn Gary West into a football power.

Very telling...

15 minutes ago, temptation said:

Just punt on this topic my man.  You've failed to answer my man's question about your plan to turn Gary West into a football power.

Very telling...

Who said anything about turning Gary West into a football power? It is however mind-numbingly dumb to insinuate that having success is only attributed to high enrollment and high socioeconomic demographics. I've provided examples on both ends of the spectrum as to why that isn't the case and in a few examples had both high enrollment and high socioeconomic that contradict your agenda.

You look at any program in the state of Indiana that has had sustained success over the years, culture, coaching, and commitment are the common themes. Most have at least two, some all three. 

You taking the absolute most extreme examples outliers in each scenario to try and prove a point isn't helping your cause. 

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Who said anything about turning Gary West into a football power? It is however mind-numbingly dumb to insinuate that having success is only attributed to high enrollment and high socioeconomic demographics. I've provided examples on both ends of the spectrum as to why that isn't the case and in a few examples had both high enrollment and high socioeconomic that contradict your agenda.

You look at any program in the state of Indiana that has had sustained success over the years, culture, coaching, and commitment are the common themes. Most have at least two, some all three. 

You taking the absolute most extreme examples outliers in each scenario to try and prove a point isn't helping your cause. 

This conversation is painful to follow. Can you at least acknowledge that schools with a higher enrollment have an advantage?

13 minutes ago, BTF said:

This conversation is painful to follow. Can you at least acknowledge that schools with a higher enrollment have an advantage?

Advantage over who? No I'm not going to say that schools like Noblesville, HSE, Fishers, Lake Central, etc have an advantage over a school like Center Grove despite having 1000+ more students. Would be ridiculous and untrue. Why can't schools like Noblesville, HSE, and Fishers consistently field good football teams despite having mega-enrollments and some of the highest socioeconomic demographics in the state? 

16 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Why can't schools like Noblesville, HSE, and Fishers consistently field good football teams despite having mega-enrollments and some of the highest socioeconomic demographics in the state? 

Football is a very complex endeavor. There are so many moving parts, so many factors that determine the degree of success a program has. Naturally, we’d like it to be something simple and objective, like enrollment or % of reduced fee lunches. But it is never that simple. Many, many of the factors are both subjective and incapable of being quantified. That’s why it is so difficult to predict outcomes — or identify which factors a successful team exploited to greatest advantage. If there was a simple recipe, everyone would be using it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Football is a very complex endeavor. There are so many moving parts, so many factors that determine the degree of success a program has. Naturally, we’d like it to be something simple and objective, like enrollment or % of reduced fee lunches. But it is never that simple. Many, many of the factors are both subjective and incapable of being quantified. That’s why it is so difficult to predict outcomes — or identify which factors a successful team exploited to greatest advantage. If there was a simple recipe, everyone would be using it.

I agree with you, but it's stupid (as well as lazy) to write off a school because they are at an enrollment disadvantage (comparatively) or have a low socioeconomic demographic. You have two posters on here who live and die by that sword but can't offer an explanation as to why their narrative just doesn't fit. 

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

I'm just wondering if someone can actually say the words............."higher enrollment is an advantage." I realize it's fun to thump your chest and claim you are the greatest when you beat up on a team half your enrollment or you wax a team when you have no district boundaries but the other teams does. But at some point, it's ok to be humble and admit your advantages.  That being said, success is clearly a combination of several factors............good coaching, enrollment, and socioeconomics all playing a significant role. 

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

I agree with you, but it's stupid (as well as lazy) to write off a school because they are at an enrollment disadvantage (comparatively) or have a low socioeconomic demographic. You have two posters on here who live and die by that sword but can't offer an explanation as to why their narrative just doesn't fit. 

You mean writing off state championship teamswith low enrollment like Snider, Castle, Bloomington South, and New Palestine? Or writing off a state championship team like Harding with an EXTREMELY high free/reduced lunch rate? Do you have any idea what 'by and large' means?

14 minutes ago, BTF said:

."higher enrollment is an advantage."

What advantage is it to North Central, Fishers, HSE, Pike, Lake Central, Noblesville i.e six of the ten largest high schools in the state? Fishers, HSE, and Noblesville are the three largest schools in the HCC and arguably the three worst football schools in the conference. I want to know where this higher enrollment advantage comes into play? Or is it the socioeconomic factor? You tell me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BTF said:

I'm just wondering if someone can actually say the words............."higher enrollment is an advantage." I realize it's fun to thump your chest and claim you are the greatest when you beat up on a team half your enrollment or you wax a team when you have no district boundaries but the other teams does. But at some point, it's ok to be humble and admit your advantages.  That being said, success is clearly a combination of several factors............good coaching, enrollment, and socioeconomics all playing a significant role. 

I would phrase it slightly differently, by saying that enrollment, socioeconomic status, coaching, and other factors can confer a significant advantage on those programs able and willing to utilize them. Not everyone is.