Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

DTs Dandy Dozen : Northwest Indiana Top 12

Guest DT

1. Merrillville - 4-0 Pirates are clearly the best team in the area and might be #2 in the state behind Center Grove.  Tons of blue chip talent and the team is starting to pull away as we approach the turn.  Pirates visit Laporte Friday.

2. Valparaiso - The defending 5A state runnerup is 3-0 after losing 2 games to COVID and beating DAC rival Chesterton 30-21 Friday night.  The loss of live game action has impacted Valpo's effectiveness, no doubt.  But plenty of time for the Vikes to fine tune the machine, including a huge conference matchup with #1 Merrillville on October 2.

3. Andrean - The Class 2A 59ers improved to 4-1 with a 52-10 blowout over NCC foe Highland.  Andrean has won 4 straight since its season opening loss to merrillville, outscoring its opposition 169-24.  The high flying 9ers travel to #4 Hobart in a huge NCC batttle this week.

4. Hobart   - took the week off and slipped a notch in the poll , but the Brickies remain in the hunt to reach all their goals for the season.  Hobart has not fared well in big games over the past decade, so the Friday night home date with Andrean looms large as the Bricks look to get back on the statewide contenders map.

5. Lowell - 4A Lowell remains unbeaten at 4-0 after an off week.  The Red Devils host unbeaten Kankakee Valley this week in a big rivalry game that LOwell has domintaed for decades.

6. Crown Point - The 3-2 Bulldogs edged conference rival Portage 24-21 Friday night and have an opportunity to pour some water on the brweing Valpo-Merrillville game on Oct 2 as they travel to VHS this week.  Watch out for a possible CP upset in this one.  

7. Michigan City - The 2-1 Wolves are sidelined with COVID Restrictions, and havent played since Sept 4.  City is scheduled to host Lake Central this week, pending compliance to COVID protocols.

8. Kankakee Valley - The Kougars are 5-0 under James Broyles but have built their streak on the backs of smaller schools.  An impressive 53-0 win over a very down Munster team should propel KV into its rivalry matchup this week with #5 Lowell.  

9. Chesterton  - Trojans are 2-3 after playing well in a close loss to Valpo.  Rival Portage visits this week.

10. Portage - The 2-3 Indians showing improvement under first year Coach Terry Chestovich, but the rugged DAC schedule offers little relief.  

11. Laporte - Slicers 1-4 grabbed their first win of the season, on the road at Lake Central 28-16 on Friday night.  Their reward?  A visit from #1 Merrillville this week.  

12. Lake Central - downtrodden Indians try to get back on track this week at Michigan City.  Could get ugly for LC if this one gets played.

4 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

Nice job listing the duneland plus part of the northwest crossroads. Please limit the ranking to top 5 because of the severe drop off in talent.

I picked the Top 12 as I see them.  Did I miss someone?  Should a GSSC school be in there?  Or should we extend our borders to Renssy and Lafayette?

Maybe youd like to see Wheeler or Hanover in over a low level 6A Dac team.

Sorry, not in my poll.

#13 BTW is Highland

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

Other than Valpo and Merrillville, I think the Big 4 of the NCC (Andrean, Hobart, KV, and Lowell) are better than the Duneland teams.

Doesnt say much for DAC depth.

My poll:

1.  Merrillville—undefeated for a reason 

2.  Valpo—also undefeated for a reason, but with fewer style points 

3.  Lowell—RDP is back, baby.

4.  Andrean—their one loss should have been closer 

5.  Kankakee Valley—no signature win yet.

6.  Hobart—see Andean’s comment 

7.  Hanover Central—Blaze Cano will lead them

8.  Crown Point—also-ran DAC school

9.  Wheeler—Starting to right the ship 

10.  Chesterton—would be higher if not falling asleep vs. 2A Pioneer

11.  Michigan City—unknown how good they would have been prior to Covid

12.  Griffith—throttled a very good Hanover squad