Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Coach Nowlin

Midnight Practices?

With more schools going to balanced calendar, kids have already started back by the time practice is starting.  Not likely to have them practicing at midnight on a "school night".

I'm with Chris on this....don't see the point...but I bet someone somewhere did it last night.

We do not have midnight practice anymore either,  First official day of practice Aug 4th, kids start school Aug 6th.

We do not have midnight practice anymore either,  First official day of practice Aug 4th, kids start school Aug 6th.

With more schools going to a balanced calendar, do you think that gives the schools that still have a "traditional" calendar an advantage in preseason?

If you are organized and committed even with they summer restrictions then you should be just fine if you had to start school August 4th or even last week. Efficiency is the key

• Upvote 1

I see that Mooresville had a midnight practice.  I sure hope it helps 'em some.

dont school already in session have an advantge??? They could practice in full pads 6 days a week for 4 hours each if they wanted. There are no rules once in school. Thats why I think this system is silly. A team can practice till 9 pm every night if they wanted once school starts.

This is not true. You can only practice 3 hrs total if you have one practice a day and 5 total hrs if you have two a day. Schools in session already still follow the same guidelines.

dont school already in session have an advantge??? They could practice in full pads 6 days a week for 4 hours each if they wanted. There are no rules once in school. Thats why I think this system is silly. A team can practice till 9 pm every night if they wanted once school starts.

Correct, doesn't matter when school officially started, the first official day of practice for Fall Sports was August 4th.  Helmets only,  August 5-6  Helmets/Shoulderpads,  August 7th First full practice in full pads.

Over the summer, you could only have 12 practices in Helmets/Shoulderpads

And up to 5 scrimmages against other teams, which count as 1 Shoulderpad/Helmet practice

Mississinewa has practice tonight at Midnight.  However they don't start school until Tuesday.  They are also having what is called Live-in Camp where the entire team and coach's stay at the school for 2 nights to bond.  They do practice but then they have x-box tournaments, dinner together, dinner with all parents, go swimming, and so forth.  They are staying within the rules.  

Sounds like team camp that can be done in June, my favorite is saint Joesphs college

Several years ago I was in the Dayton, OH area and they had a school doing it, but it was a HUGE community event.  We went to see what it was all about and I admit I was totally amazed.  They had food, bounce houses, it was like a community fair, then the highlight was seeing the high school team practice start at 1145.  The stands were packed as if a Friday night Varsity game.  Good time by all.