Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana High School Football Encyclopedia? What would you want to see included?

Hello everyone! I've been thinking about creating an Indiana High School Football records book/encyclopedia.

I would include info from my previous books (all-state players, tournament history, etc.) but would want to include other features, as well.

• conference standings
  • coaching records
  • state records for players
  • list of state champs (including mythical back to 1800s)
  • articles on legendary coaches and teams

What else would you want to see included?

Thanks,
Dan "Rudy" Engler
AlmanacSports.com

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Hello everyone! I've been thinking about creating an Indiana High School Football records book/encyclopedia.

I would include info from my previous books (all-state players, tournament history, etc.) but would want to include other features, as well.

• conference standings
  • coaching records

Thanks,
Dan "Rudy" Engler
AlmanacSports.com

Hi Rudy! During quarantine I had actually been working on putting together a database of the football fields and stadiums(past/present) of all the high schools (present and defunct) here in Indiana. Real life eventually came back and I don't have the time to do such a thing anymore. I think it would be cool to find pictures and histories of these places, especially the ones that are gone, and add it to your info. Just a suggestion. Thank you for doing what you do for the history and records of our sport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

• conference standings
  • coaching records

Thanks,
Dan "Rudy" Engler
AlmanacSports.com

Stories about specific games.......Back in the 1920's, Notre Dame was traveling to Bloomington. The team stopped in Indy. Rockne went to see Cathedral play (I believe it was against St. X from Cincy), and talked to the team prior to the game. Legend has it as well, that he heard Cathedral was nicknamed the Fighting Irish (At that time, ND was using "Ramblers" as their nickname) and since both schools were run by the same order of priests, decided the schools could share the name. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 12:49 PM, Rudy said:

• conference standings
  • coaching records

Thanks,
Dan "Rudy" Engler
AlmanacSports.com

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing histories of High School teams. When they started coaches they have had. Notable alumni. I know this would make for a much larger book, but I think that if teams have played football in the state they should have at least a brief history of them given.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 12:49 PM, Rudy said:

• conference standings
  • coaching records

Thanks,
Dan "Rudy" Engler
AlmanacSports.com

If you need any help on BD, I've got a history file I can share with you.

• Like 1

Google searching "ifca zebras [name of school]" should turn up some really good info for you for your encyclopedia. Mark Candler used to do a great job updating that, so it's full of great data for teams up through around 2016.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 12:08 PM, CoachVeatch said:

Hi Rudy! During quarantine I had actually been working on putting together a database of the football fields and stadiums(past/present) of all the high schools (present and defunct) here in Indiana. Real life eventually came back and I don't have the time to do such a thing anymore. I think it would be cool to find pictures and histories of these places, especially the ones that are gone, and add it to your info. Just a suggestion. Thank you for doing what you do for the history and records of our sport.

This would be really cool to feature in the book. Bios on the more infamous fields would be a cool addition too!

On 4/28/2021 at 12:53 PM, Irishman said:

Stories about specific games.......Back in the 1920's, Notre Dame was traveling to Bloomington. The team stopped in Indy. Rockne went to see Cathedral play (I believe it was against St. X from Cincy), and talked to the team prior to the game. Legend has it as well, that he heard Cathedral was nicknamed the Fighting Irish (At that time, ND was using "Ramblers" as their nickname) and since both schools were run by the same order of priests, decided the schools could share the name. 

That's really cool. I'll have to do some research and see if I can find out more about this. Thanks for sharing and definitely want to have a "Legendary Games" section

On 5/4/2021 at 8:11 AM, Cheez said:

Google searching "ifca zebras [name of school]" should turn up some really good info for you for your encyclopedia. Mark Candler used to do a great job updating that, so it's full of great data for teams up through around 2016.

I've used this site countless times over the years. Definitely a great resource for Northern Indiana football history!

13 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Tim Adams would be a nice feature. We all miss the big fella. TA was the best.

Love this idea. @Muda69 this would go hand in hand with the GID history section.

On 4/28/2021 at 12:53 PM, Irishman said:

Did a search on newspapers.com to see what I could find.

I see Cathedral's first mention of the "Fighting Irish" nickname in 1925 (https://www.newspapers.com/image/104849923/?terms=Cathedral "Fighting Irish"&match=2).

However, there's a 1911 article which describes Notre Dame as "the fighting Irish crew" (https://www.newspapers.com/image/6823056/?terms="Notre Dame" "Fighting Irish"&match=3).

Would love to be proven wrong, and not saying that story isn't true, but these legends have a way of taking on a life of their own!

Thanks and please let me know if you find any other information on this!

Dan

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Did a search on newspapers.com to see what I could find.

I see Cathedral's first mention of the "Fighting Irish" nickname in 1925 (https://www.newspapers.com/image/104849923/?terms=Cathedral "Fighting Irish"&match=2).

However, there's a 1911 article which describes Notre Dame as "the fighting Irish crew" (https://www.newspapers.com/image/6823056/?terms="Notre Dame" "Fighting Irish"&match=3).

Would love to be proven wrong, and not saying that story isn't true, but these legends have a way of taking on a life of their own!

Thanks and please let me know if you find any other information on this!

Dan

I did find this on the UND site, claiming the Fighting Irish was official in 1927; changing it from the Ramblers. 

https://und.com/the-fighting-irish/#:~:text=Notre Dame competed under the,Notre Dame nickname in 1927.

As far as the Cathedral side of the story, I would say the best bet is to reach out to Bill Peebles, the current head football coach. His family has been around the school for a LONG time. I know the person who shared the story with me worked at the school over 20 years ago, and now works at the IHSAA; Chris Kaufman. 

• 1 month later...

I’ve begun work on this and hope to have finished by the start of the season.

Would anyone be interested in writing a story on their favorite team and/or coach to include in the book?

Thanks!