Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Aaron Rodgers

Gipper

According to this story, his 3 preferred destinations are with the Raiders, Broncos, or 49ers. The story sets out the contractual situation. Sounds like if the Packers were ever going to trade him, it wouldn’t be until after June 1.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2021/apr/29/report-aaron-rodgers-pushing-for-trade-raiders-on/

Report: Aaron Rodgers pushing for trade, Raiders on his list

By Mike Grimala (contact)

Thursday, April 29, 2021 | 2:11 p.m.

As if they weren’t busy enough with preparations for the first round of the NFL Draft, the Raiders’ war room no doubt jumped into overdrive on Thursday afternoon as reports surfaced that Las Vegas could be on Aaron Rodgers’s short list for trade destinations.

Rodgers, the reigning league MVP after passing for 4,299 yards and 48 touchdowns in 2020, is on the outs with the Packers and has reportedly told the team he doesn’t want to return to Green Bay for the 2021 season.

According to Pro Football Talk, the Raiders are among three preferred destinations for Rodgers, along with the Denver Broncos and San Francisco 49ers.

Rodgers has been named MVP three times during his Hall of Fame-caliber career and quarterbacked Green Bay to a Super Bowl championship following the 2010 season. He is heading into his age-38 season, however, and the Packers were cognizant enough of his age to select his replacement, former Utah State star Jordan Love, with a first-round pick in last year’s draft.

Rodgers has three years remaining on his current contract, with cap hits of $37.2 million, $39.8 million and $28.3 million in 2021, 2022 and 2023, respectively. The Packers would assume a massive dead-cap hit of $31.5 million if they traded Rodgers before June 1; after June 1 that figure would drop to $14.3 million.

The Raiders have one of the league’s longest-tenured starting quarterbacks in Derek Carr, who is heading into his eighth season at the helm of the silver and black. Only Matt Ryan (Atlanta Falcons), Russell Wilson (Seattle Seahawks), Ben Roethlisberger (Pittsburgh Steelers) and Rodgers have been starting for their teams longer.

Carr performed well for Las Vegas in 2020, completing 67.3% of his passes for 4,103 yards with 27 touchdowns and nine interceptions, but Rodgers would obviously represent a massive upgrade at the game’s most important position.

Carr is set to count $22.1 million against the cap in 2021, but the Raiders have some flexibility with his contract should they choose to pursue Rodgers. The team could save $19.6 million on Carr’s contract by trading him, incurring a dead-cap hit of just $2.5 million.

It is unknown what the Packers would want in return for their franchise quarterback, but it stands to reason the cost would be heavy. Green Bay reportedly turned down the 49ers’ offer of the No. 3 overall pick in this year’s draft; the Raiders own the No. 17 pick this year.

When Raiders general manager Mike Mayock was asked after the season about the possibility of attempting to upgrade at the quarterback position, he said the team is happy with Carr but that there is a professional responsibility to investigate other options.

“Obviously, I can’t talk about anyone else’s players, so I won’t,” Mayock said. “I’ll just talk about Derek and I’m going to tell you the same thing I’ve told you guys the last couple years, which is I think Derek Carr had his best year yet under Jon Gruden. I think he’s one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL and we couldn’t be happier with him, and I tell you every year, we evaluate every position, every year. I have no idea who might call me or who might not call me, so you have to do the evaluations both on your own players and every other player in the league and you got to stack your boards and understand what league value is all around the league, and we do that.”

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

If the ESPN story is true, he is 'very disgruntled with the Packers" and does not want to return for the 2021 season.  If this actually is true, thanks for the memories #12, next man up.

He did an awesome job as host of Jeopardy!That occupation has a history of longevity.

2 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

He did an awesome job as host of Jeopardy!That occupation has a history of longevity.

Let’s see: Art Fleming, Alex Trebec, and now possibly Aaron Rodgers?  I guess they’re (at Jeopardy!) are into hosts whose names begin with the letter A.

Seems like it was a whole lot of noise about nothing. We have seen stranger things happen, but trading with a team this late in the first round, or later makes no sense. Part of me thinks someone let the story leak; the timing of this breaking today is just odd. The team President as well as the GM and the Head Coach each made individual trips to A A Ron's home in Cali and made no progress. So maybe the noise from today made both sides pause? 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Seems like it was a whole lot of noise about nothing. We have seen stranger things happen, but trading with a team this late in the first round, or later makes no sense. Part of me thinks someone let the story leak; the timing of this breaking today is just odd. The team President as well as the GM and the Head Coach each made individual trips to A A Ron's home in Cali and made no progress. So maybe the noise from today made both sides pause? 

I don’t know what to think.  Part of me thinks if he wants out, cut bait.  But another part of me thinks there’s no way in hell Jordan Love or Tim Boyle can step up and be the guy.

8 hours ago, Gipper said:

I don’t know what to think.  Part of me thinks if he wants out, cut bait.  But another part of me thinks there’s no way in hell Jordan Love or Tim Boyle can step up and be the guy.

Yeah....I am not even sure what the end game is for either side in this.is LaFleur really that anxious to move on from Rodgers? If so, WHY? And is Rodgers really that willing to play somewhere else?

side note.....Tim Boyle is now in Detroit. 

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Yeah....I am not even sure what the end game is for either side in this.is LaFleur really that anxious to move on from Rodgers? If so, WHY? And is Rodgers really that willing to play somewhere else?

side note.....Tim Boyle is now in Detroit. 

Wow, Goff and Boyle...

I think Rodgers is dissatisfied with the organization. That’s not a news flash. But what Tom Brady did has emboldened him, and others. The paradigm used to be get with a good organization, and stay there. Now we are in a phase where players think they see greener grass elsewhere, but very few of them have the power to do anything about it. Rogers is one of the few.

I think there were a couple of things that helped Brady though. Getting a couple of guys from NE that he was familiar with, and then Arians getting out of his way. Brady ran a variation of the Pats offense. Had Arians not let that happen, I think the Bucs were heading for disaster. Rodgers won't have teammates that are available to go with him wherever he may land, and will not likely have a HC or OC that will give him the kind of freedom Brady was given. 

14 hours ago, Gipper said:

Let’s see: Art Fleming, Alex Trebec, and now possibly Aaron Rodgers?  I guess they’re (at Jeopardy!) are into hosts whose names begin with the letter A.

I'll hold off on the anointing of Mr. Rodgers as the next Jeopardy! host until I've seen LeVar Burton's upcoming stint as host.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gipper said:

Anderson Cooper

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

I'll hold off on the anointing of Mr. Rodgers as the next Jeopardy! host until I've seen LeVar Burton's upcoming stint as host.

Wait. What?  
From Roots, BBT, Star Trek and Reading Rainbow fame?  LETS GO!

31 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

"I'll take Anal Bum Covers for $500 Alex."

Gosh, I wish I remembered more of these, than just Norm McDonald doing Burt (Turd Ferguson) Reynolds. 

I am going to have to follow your YouTube lead my friend. 😂 

I know what I will be watching in between draft picks tonight.