Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NIC 2021 Outlook

1 hour ago, DT said:

With all due respect to South Bend, we have seen consolidation in Muncie, East Chicago, Michigan City, Anderson, Elkhart, and Hammond over the past two decades.

Terre Haute is currently undertaking a full scale review of its future needs and will take action soon.

Why should we give South Bend a pass when others with similar challenges have taken decisive action?

The Citys toxic political culture is no excuse for inaction  in my view.

Um.  I'm not sure that you are in charge of giving out "passes" for decisions made in South Bend.  I know I'm not and I actually live/vote here.

South Bend is very much looking into consolidation.  They are not considering the ramifications that would have on their high school football teams either, as they shouldn't.  The school corporation is a mess.  Failing schools and they continue to lose students and funding.  They (teachers and school corporation) just rammed through a huge property tax increase last year that will give them an additional $220 million over the next 8 years to cover up their failures and I have no doubt once that is up they'll come back blaming a lack of funds for their continuing to fail and then ask for even more.

At any case, it's kind of laughable that you think anyone might care to consider your feelings on the matter or that you have any kind of position to hold them accountable for anything, especially by using high school football for reasoning.  Even though I happen to agree that consolidation would be beneficial, I think you are totally misguided in your considerations.  

24 minutes ago, Bobref said:

No argument there. It’s just a question of where the fault lies.

Technically, Mayor Pete had little to do with the school board and their problems.  As you mentioned, those are elected positions. 

That said, one could argue that he had little to do with the private investment that happened in downtown while he was mayor also and he had no problem claiming that as his success, one of the few he can point to in my opinion.  If I'm being totally fair to him, I don't think he's responsible for the failures of the school system.  Crime is a different story.  Credit where it is due though, he did get Brian Boitano to come to the grand opening of a $20 million dollar ice skating project he had built in a downtown park!

• Haha 1

As much as I enjoy the shots at South Bend politics and school board, let's see if we can get this back on the rails.

The NIC "East-West Division" (i.e., Big Boy Football)...should have another interesting race.

Marian has to replace the QB, but has plenty of experience at the skill positions. Only one starter returns on the offensive line, but injuries caused many of those reserves to get experience during the regular season. I would look for the Knights to be togh again.

Elkhart lost a ton to graduation, but they have the league's best receiver in Donovan Johnson and a speedy running back in Jaiven Sharp. They lost one of the DC's and the OC, so we'll see how that changes things. I think they'll still be pretty good.

Will Penn be better without Powlus at QB, since the offense seemed to centered around him? Alec Hardrict is legit speedster in the backfield and a lot of experience returns on defense.

Will Casey McKim's second year result in the Cougars going back to the option? It's the most experienced offensive line coming back and some young, exciting backs. The Cougars could be ready to make a run at the conference crown.

Adams is another team with most of the o-line returning, some good skill people back and about half of the defensive starters back.

Older history would tell you St. Joe belongs in this division, more recent would say they should go the North-South. Bryon Whitten has to replace his QB, O-Line and D-Line and play everyone mentioned above. Good Luck.

As for the North-South, Bremen has 4/5 of it'[s o-line back, an experienced QB in Ethan Nunemaker and about half the defense back. If the Lions can find a solid running back, they should be a force to be reckoned with.

Cory Stoner at Jimntown has the division's most electric player in Johntu Reed, but he has to find an O-line and patch some holes at linebacker.

John Glenn returns 19 of 22 starters. A healthy Nathan Creed at QB had the Falcons playing well before he was hurt against Bremen. It could be a banner year in Walkerton if he returns to form.

Todd Stammich had a prtty young team at Washington last season and they made strides at the end of the season. The defensive line is the biggest question mark that has to be answered.

Justin Kinzie's Riley team had problems scoring points last year, so the offense has been the focus of the off-season. You wonder if things might change a little bit in terms of the system they run on the South Side. 

And then there's Clay, which at least got a win last year. They haven't had two in a year since 2014. We'll see if that's possible.

2 hours ago, XStar said:

Um.  I'm not sure that you are in charge of giving out "passes" for decisions made in South Bend.  I know I'm not and I actually live/vote here.

South Bend is very much looking into consolidation.  They are not considering the ramifications that would have on their high school football teams either, as they shouldn't.  The school corporation is a mess.  Failing schools and they continue to lose students and funding.  They (teachers and school corporation) just rammed through a huge property tax increase last year that will give them an additional $220 million over the next 8 years to cover up their failures and I have no doubt once that is up they'll come back blaming a lack of funds for their continuing to fail and then ask for even more.

At any case, it's kind of laughable that you think anyone might care to consider your feelings on the matter or that you have any kind of position to hold them accountable for anything, especially by using high school football for reasoning.  Even though I happen to agree that consolidation would be beneficial, I think you are totally misguided in your considerations.  

Im not in charge and I dont claim to be in charge.

I am however interested in the overall health of high school football in Indiana and South Bend is certainly a sick puppy.

Elkhart, East Chicago and Michigan City have seen better football programs emerge post consolidation.

Anderson and Muncie not so much.

Frankly, I believe SB would see the most dramatic improvement of them all should they take an aggressive run at consolidation and right size their schools based on future enrollment trends.

While improvement of prep sports is not the primary objective of consolidation, it certainly is a positive intended consequence and would beneficial to the community at large.  

2 hours ago, XStar said:

Technically, Mayor Pete had little to do with the school board and their problems.  As you mentioned, those are elected positions. 

That said, one could argue that he had little to do with the private investment that happened in downtown while he was mayor also and he had no problem claiming that as his success, one of the few he can point to in my opinion.  If I'm being totally fair to him, I don't think he's responsible for the failures of the school system.  Crime is a different story.  Credit where it is due though, he did get Brian Boitano to come to the grand opening of a $20 million dollar ice skating project he had built in a downtown park!

Pete likely avoided the consolidation issue because it was too big for a once term residency.  He clearly had bigger plans than sticking around South Bend.  

1 hour ago, Gridwatcher said:

As much as I enjoy the shots at South Bend politics and school board, let's see if we can get this back on the rails.

The NIC "East-West Division" (i.e., Big Boy Football)...should have another interesting race.

Marian has to replace the QB, but has plenty of experience at the skill positions. Only one starter returns on the offensive line, but injuries caused many of those reserves to get experience during the regular season. I would look for the Knights to be togh again.

Elkhart lost a ton to graduation, but they have the league's best receiver in Donovan Johnson and a speedy running back in Jaiven Sharp. They lost one of the DC's and the OC, so we'll see how that changes things. I think they'll still be pretty good.

Will Penn be better without Powlus at QB, since the offense seemed to centered around him? Alec Hardrict is legit speedster in the backfield and a lot of experience returns on defense.

Will Casey McKim's second year result in the Cougars going back to the option? It's the most experienced offensive line coming back and some young, exciting backs. The Cougars could be ready to make a run at the conference crown.

Adams is another team with most of the o-line returning, some good skill people back and about half of the defensive starters back.

Older history would tell you St. Joe belongs in this division, more recent would say they should go the North-South. Bryon Whitten has to replace his QB, O-Line and D-Line and play everyone mentioned above. Good Luck.

As for the North-South, Bremen has 4/5 of it'[s o-line back, an experienced QB in Ethan Nunemaker and about half the defense back. If the Lions can find a solid running back, they should be a force to be reckoned with.

Cory Stoner at Jimntown has the division's most electric player in Johntu Reed, but he has to find an O-line and patch some holes at linebacker.

John Glenn returns 19 of 22 starters. A healthy Nathan Creed at QB had the Falcons playing well before he was hurt against Bremen. It could be a banner year in Walkerton if he returns to form.

Todd Stammich had a prtty young team at Washington last season and they made strides at the end of the season. The defensive line is the biggest question mark that has to be answered.

Justin Kinzie's Riley team had problems scoring points last year, so the offense has been the focus of the off-season. You wonder if things might change a little bit in terms of the system they run on the South Side. 

And then there's Clay, which at least got a win last year. They haven't had two in a year since 2014. We'll see if that's possible.

Welcome to the board Gridwatcher. You have to be a seasoned vet who was locked out of their old account.  But, there's still a kid to worry about at Marian and his name his Atkinson. He is a major threat in the return game. I think Marian will have no choice but to play him on the offensive side of the ball. Does he get a shot at his old position at QB?

Elkhart will have some question marks but a school that size will hopefully be able to fill in those vacancies. I see them hovering over the .500 mark easily.

Penn will float around the .500 mark as long as they can steer clear of those Ohio schools. No one has updated maxpreps for this year to see.

Adams is a big question mark. They lose some solid athletes this year. But, it just seems like they can haven't been able to piece anything together since Redman.

I agree about Jimtown's Johntu. Kid can play but I wouldn't necessarily call him electric just yet. Lets see what Jimtown actually does with him this year. Most receivers can run a post pattern and he was decent back. Teams like Osceola Grace definitely make you look exceptional though.

Edited by TurfToe

7 hours ago, XStar said:

The SBCSC is more worried about am empty building becoming a charter school than improving their overall program.  The Democratic political machine got the tax money through on the back of a town where about 30% live under the poverty level.  They lost over 400 more kids this year and who knows with next.  They need 2 high schools and one trade/vocational/ career high school. but they won't do that.  The school board seems to be a puppet to what the corporation wants.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TurfToe said:

Welcome to the board Gridwatcher. You have to be a seasoned vet who was locked out of their old account.  But, there's still a kid to worry about at Marian and his name his Atkinson. He is a major threat in the return game. I think Marian will have no choice but to play him on the offensive side of the ball. Does he get a shot at his old position at QB?

Elkhart will have some question marks but a school that size will hopefully be able to fill in those vacancies. I see them hovering over the .500 mark easily.

Penn will float around the .500 mark as long as they can steer clear of those Ohio schools. No one has updated maxpreps for this year to see.

Adams is a big question mark. They lose some solid athletes this year. But, it just seems like they can haven't been able to piece anything together since Redman.

I agree about Jimtown's Johntu. Kid can play but I wouldn't necessarily call him electric just yet. Lets see what Jimtown actually does with him this year. Most receivers can run a post pattern and he was decent back. Teams like Osceola Grace definitely make you look exceptional though.

I think you vastly underrate Elkhart.  They should have one of the top offenses in the state.  Only team in the NIC that I can see having a chance is Penn.   Donovan Johnson. is closer to one of the best WR in the state than just the conference, the Sharpe kid is beyond special and likely a 3x NIC player of the year in that offense.  QB has a cannon for an arm and the OL is big.  More of a reload than anything.  

1 hour ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

The South Bend school bell schedule will change next year.  This came from the other schools in the conference (as claimed by administration).  Hopefully, games will be played in a timely manner this season, unless transportation becomes a bigger issue.

SO the concept that later start times proved educational worthy did not work?

St. Joe is advertising for a part time strength and conditioning coach.  Not sure why part time but would assume has to do with financial and the budget.  This is something that is grossly needed for their athletic program.  Not sure why it took so long since it had been talked about a few years ago.

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone know if there have been any transfers or new players that would add to any NIC team?

Anyone opting out of football for whatever the reason?

Interesting Elkhart is replacing Mishawaka with Carmel for two years.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

How is everyone feeling about summer workouts? 

NLC guy here, but was heartbroken for Jaiven Sharp last week, great kid and he's going to make a huge comeback at some point. 

Looking forward to our scrimmage with Elkhart coming up. 

On 7/7/2021 at 2:10 PM, ASJCPUMA said:

Interesting Elkhart is replacing Mishawaka with Carmel for two years.

When will those matchups with Carmel start? Next year? I only ask because I've heard rumors (and literally, that is all they are) that eventually Warsaw and Elkhart will get on each others schedules. With the Mishawaka game being week 2, and Warsaw starting a 2 game series vs Warren Central in 2024 and 2025 (I believe they are still going to play Michigan City the through 2023), I am wondering if perhaps after this season we might see Warsaw vs. Elkhart in week 1? Warsaw's game against Dublin Coffman (OH) is only a 1 year thing, so perhaps Warsaw will replace Concord on Elkhart's schedule. Again - only rumors and speculation on scheduling here, but I think both schools would benefit from that week 1 matchup.

On 7/29/2021 at 8:28 AM, NRRaider2001 said:

NLC guy here, but was heartbroken for Jaiven Sharp last week, great kid and he's going to make a huge comeback at some point. 

Looking forward to our scrimmage with Elkhart coming up. 

Elkhart lost another crucial player in our scrimmage, hoping for his sake it isn't a long term deal.