Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2021

Bobref

8 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

The Irish need to look at another QB next week against Toledo.  Coan just isn't very mobile.

I agree, arm strength is suspect too.......most telling play was at the end of regulation....ball needed to go 60 yards to get to the end zone, and he could not get it 50 yards....even with stepping into the throw.

11 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

It was a momentum changer.  If it's called correctly it's Notre Dame ball!  Possession means everything in the 4th quarter especially.

The Irish need to look at another QB next week against Toledo.  Coan just isn't very mobile.

LOL @ this take.

40 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Irish went into play not to lose when they got to 38 points. Not sure why they spend so much time in a prevent defense, especially in the red zone. Play calling on offense went too conservative too soon. 

This, I will agree with.  Freeman seems like one hell of a recruiter but had some obvious flaws tonight.

My takeaways from this game….,

1. This new offensive line is going to be a work in progress. Blake fisher sprained knee so he’ll miss some time. His replacement last night Carmody did not look very good

2. how many plays did the defense get into the backfield yet FSU still gained positive yards 

3. it’s only 1 game but former DC Clark Lea may have been the best at making in game adjustments. Not sure if it was injury related but CL wouldn’t have been running a 3 man front if it was getting gashed by the opposing run game. Marcus Freeman has some work to do (may have been short handed up front) as this wasn’t a the start on defense we were hoping for

4. Jack coan played well. Disagree with whoever said he should be benched. A running game and better o line play will help. My only issue was a few sacks he took 

5. Kyle Hamilton is good at football unless he cheats and watches the qb eyes 

6. How can you not root for FSU QB McKenzie mIlton 

Go Irish. A win is a win but that was way too close for comfort. Watching games and ND opponents Thurs-Sat i thought the Irish had a really good shot to run the table and go 12-0. Don’t see that happening now. But who knows it’s a long season and I’m glad college football is back

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Just heard BK say Paul Moala (penn hs) tore his Achilles last night. This after  tearing his other Achilles last season or the end of 19 I can’t remember. Feel terrible for him. 

I thought that’s what it looked like when I saw it happen. Eric Dickerson’s looked the same. 

Edited by gonzoron

17 hours ago, DE said:

Jack Coan keeps playing like this, ole “chosen one” won’t see any action for a very long time. 

16 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

16 hours ago, Irishman said:

I agree, arm strength is suspect too.

Now I’m confused …. Coan was 26/35 (74%), 4 TDs, 1 int., 366 yds. That works out, under the NFL system, to a QBR of a little over 133. 158.75 is perfect. So, it seems to me he’s not the problem. The problem is without a rushing game, they had no ability to take the air out of the ball in the 4th quarter, like they tried to do. They have a preseason first team AA at running back, and he averages 2.3 yds./carry. Sounds like an O-line issue to me.

Edited by Bobref

13 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Now I’m confused …. Coan was 26/35 (74%), 4 TDs, 1 int., 366 yds. That works out, under the NFL system, to a QBR of a little over 133. 158.75 is perfect. So, it seems to me he’s not the problem. The problem is without a rushing game, they had no ability to take the air out of the ball in the 4th quarter, like they tried to do. They have a preseason first team AA at running back, and he averages 2.3 yds./carry. Sounds like an O-line issue to me.

And the one interception was a Hail Mary at the end of regulation.

Some people just have unrealistic expectations.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

He had two great throws for TD's. What was the total for yards after catch? The first TD was a 16 yarder with the TE running for the last 25 to get in. The screen pass was 55 yards, right? Something like that. The swing pass in the red zone was even a one yard pass with the RB doing a fantastic job of making guys miss to get 10 more yards for the TD. Just a few examples that come to mind.

That said, I NEVER said he was the problem though. Play calling on both sides of the ball changed dramatically once they put 38 points on the board. They played to not lose the game, and got way too conservative in play calling. Playing prevent defense for over a quarter on the road and letting FSU do whatever they wanted was frustrating. The blitz combos and pass rush were non existent until the 3rd down play in OT. Even then guys looked lost in the secondary at times. As aggressive as FSU was on defense, the screen was perfect, but only called twice??? Teams like Alabama and Clemson from previous years keep the foot on the gas and bury teams in those spots. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Irishman said:

He had two great throws for TD's. What was the total for yards after catch? The first TD was a 16 yarder with the TE running for the last 25 to get in. The screen pass was 55 yards, right? Something like that. The swing pass in the red zone was even a one yard pass with the RB doing a fantastic job of making guys miss to get 10 more yards for the TD. Just a few examples that come to mind.

That said, I NEVER said he was the problem though. Play calling on both sides of the ball changed dramatically once they put 38 points on the board. They played to not lose the game, and got way too conservative in play calling. Playing prevent defense for over a quarter on the road and letting FSU do whatever they wanted was frustrating. The blitz combos and pass rush were non existent until the 3rd down play in OT. Even then guys looked lost in the secondary at times. As aggressive as FSU was on defense, the screen was perfect, but only called twice??? Teams like Alabama and Clemson from previous years keep the foot on the gas and bury teams in those spots. 

I’ve heard multiple folks applaud Freeman’s recruiting ability yet question his in-game coaching ability.

The three-man front scheme down the stretch was head scratching to say the least.

Also heard whispers he is the coach in waiting once BK walks away. 

Take it for what it’s worth.

Edited by temptation

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Why you quote me?  This your way of saying I was right?  😁

57 minutes ago, temptation said:

I’ve heard multiple folks applaud Freeman’s recruiting ability yet question his in-game coaching ability.

The three-man front scheme down the stretch was head scratching to say the least.

Also heard whispers he is the coach in waiting once BK walks away. 

Take it for what it’s worth.

What kind of pomp and circumstance will they do when BK leaves?  Similar to the pope?

38 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Coan had a good game. That’s all. You pointed it out. Even a blind pig finds a truffle now and then.

Thanks for the backhanded compliment.  Wouldn't expect anything else from you.

And I'll continue to point out more.  You are welcome.

40 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Coan had a good game. That’s all. You pointed it out. Even a blind pig finds a truffle now and then.

Without Coan, they lose.  With your "chosen one", they get humiliated.

41 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Your arrogance here is blinding.

22 minutes ago, DE said:

Thanks for the backhanded compliment.  Wouldn't expect anything else from you.

And I'll continue to point out more.  You are welcome.

Without Coan, they lose.  With your "chosen one", they get humiliated.

Your arrogance here is blinding.

Somebody’s got a burr under his saddle.

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Great recruiter? Yes. Outcoached as the game wore on? Absolutely. It's just one game though. 

1 minute ago, BTF said:

Great recruiter? Yes. Outcoached as the game wore on? Absolutely. It's just one game though. 

Correct and many are overreacting but had that game gone the other way, the pitchforks would have been our first thing this morning.

Mike Norvell is not exactly known as an elite play caller and made his own fair share of questionable decisions but Freeman’s “prevent D” in the 4th quarter nearly made Norvell look like a savant. 

11 hours ago, temptation said:

Correct and many are overreacting but had that game gone the other way, the pitchforks would have been our first thing this morning.

Mike Norvell is not exactly known as an elite play caller and made his own fair share of questionable decisions but Freeman’s “prevent D” in the 4th quarter nearly made Norvell look like a savant. 

I'm sure Freeman will be open to any recommendation BK may have after allowing 38 points in his season opener. As we've seen before, success at one level doesn't exactly equate to success at another. 

11 minutes ago, BTF said:

I'm sure Freeman will be open to any recommendation BK may have after allowing 38 points in his season opener. As we've seen before, success at one level doesn't exactly equate to success at another. 

He's already had success during his years at Cincinnati.