Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2021

Bobref

I hope that wasn't the last we get to see of junior safety Kyle Hamilton in a Notre Dame uniform. He's going to miss this week vs. North Carolina with a knee issue. Sounds like it won't be season ending, but he's most likely a high first round draft pick who will have a decision to make in regards of if and when to come back to play. 

3 hours ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

I hope that wasn't the last we get to see of junior safety Kyle Hamilton in a Notre Dame uniform. He's going to miss this week vs. North Carolina with a knee issue. Sounds like it won't be season ending, but he's most likely a high first round draft pick who will have a decision to make in regards of if and when to come back to play. 

My understanding is that he has impingement of the fat pad of his knee. The prognosis for full recovery without any surgery for such injuries is virtually 100%. But, depending on the degree of impingement and the response to treatment, could be up to 8 weeks. Of course, that’s for you or me. He might well be different.

• Like 1

Another scuffling win.  It's not that much fun watching the Irish this season.  They're way too inconsistent.

The defense was awful and  twice the offense couldn't score from inside the red zone and settled for FG's.  Lots of work left to be done.

Navy up next.

26 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Another scuffling win.  It's not that much fun watching the Irish this season.  They're way too inconsistent.

The defense was awful and  twice the offense couldn't score from inside the red zone and settled for FG's.  Lots of work left to be done.

Navy up next.

Purdue and Indiana football fans must scoff at the notion that a team that is going to be ranked in the top ten and is 7-1 “is not that much fun watching.”

Spoiled?

I could watch Kyren Williams highlight tapes for hours.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

Williams is something special to watch. I have not seen a better back this season. His vision, acceleration, ability to stop and change direction are fun to watch. While not spoiled, Coan is frustrating to watch…..and yeah, the defense lets teams hang around too long. It reminds me a lot of the defenses from when Van Gorder was the coordinator….way too complicated. Diaco simplified things so well. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Navy up next.

They’ll need to tackle much much better vs Navy. That qb Howell had like a cheat code where he couldn’t be tackled or sacked, was very frustrating to watch. 

55 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Williams is something special to watch. I have not seen a better back this season. His vision, acceleration, ability to stop and change direction are fun to watch. While not spoiled, Coan is frustrating to watch…..and yeah, the defense lets teams hang around too long. It reminds me a lot of the defenses from when Van Gorder was the coordinator….way too complicated. Diaco simplified things so well. 

Listening to BK post game presser he said UNC on tape was a counter running team. But these teams, like 4th week in a row, that have a bye before playing ND change things up. BK said they ran zero counter runs last night (not sure if true but he should know). Not trying to make excuses just stating what I heard. But you’re right, the defense needs to play and tackle much better. Luckily navy won’t throw too much, the secondary needs to communicate better as there were a few blown assignments vs UNC. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, temptation said:

Purdue and Indiana football fans must scoff at the notion that a team that is going to be ranked in the top ten and is 7-1 “is not that much fun watching.”

Spoiled?

I could watch Kyren Williams highlight tapes for hours.

I could be spoiled, and I'm glad the Irish are winning, but they are much more talented than they're playing.  Kyle Hamilton's absence was more key than I imagined.  I realize he's the heart and soul of the defense but no one seemed to want to step up in his absence.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

I could be spoiled, and I'm glad the Irish are winning, but they are much more talented than they're playing.  Kyle Hamilton's absence was more key than I imagined.  I realize he's the heart and soul of the defense but no one seemed to want to step up in his absence.

Can’t argue that.  Just remember they were 4-8 not too long ago…that really wasn’t fun to watch I bet.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

I think you’re exactly right. Hamilton is one of the 5 best players in college football right now and the undisputed leader of the defense. It would be nice to have someone step up. But he’s irreplaceable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bobref said:

I think you’re exactly right. Hamilton is one of the 5 best players in college football right now and the undisputed leader of the defense. It would be nice to have someone step up. But he’s irreplaceable.

That's evident, Bob.  If there was any doubt before, that was taken care of last night.

18 hours ago, Bobref said:

There's not a lot of guys in the country who could replace Kyle Hamilton, and there certainly isn't anyone on ND's roster currently to replace him. Unless they hit on the safety recruit out of Iowa they are really high on, the Irish will almost have to look into the transfer portal to help solve the safety position for next season.

Houston Griffith has been ok but isn't a big fan of contact (somewhat necessary to play safety) and DJ Brown is ok in a back up role playing minimal snaps, not playing every snap of the game. I thought some of the younger guys would be able to step up but that has not been the case like you guys mentioned. I hope Hamilton comes back after Navy, but that is going to be a major weakness heading into next season. 

• Like 1

Yesterday vs. Navy was the first time I’ve seen Jack Coan play live. He clearly has limitations. He’s a serviceable QB, but no more. He took 2 drive-killing sacks, and both were absolutely his fault. Both times he had unblocked rushers at the line of scrimmage pre-snap and didn’t get out of the play, change the protection, or get the ball to a hot receiver. I watched his head on pass plays and he clearly locks on his target at the snap and is not going through progressions very often. Half of his completions were to running backs. His chief asset is he doesn’t turn it over. He’s not going to lose games for them, but he’s not going to win any, either. He’s a placeholder until Kelly’s willing to trust the freshman Buchner with the ball on the minus side of the 50.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Yesterday vs. Navy was the first time I’ve seen Jack Coan play live. He clearly has limitations. He’s a serviceable QB, but no more. He took 2 drive-killing sacks, and both were absolutely his fault. Both times he had unblocked rushers at the line of scrimmage pre-snap and didn’t get out of the play, change the protection, or get the ball to a hot receiver. I watched his head on pass plays and he clearly locks on his target at the snap and is not going through progressions very often. Half of his completions were to running backs. His chief asset is he doesn’t turn it over. He’s not going to lose games for them, but he’s not going to win any, either. He’s a placeholder until Kelly’s willing to trust the freshman Buchner with the ball on the minus side of the 50.

The defense really impressed me, holding navy under 200 yards of offense and out of the end zone. Albeit against a backup quarterback for a half the Irish defense played assignment correct. 

Have not seen Jack coan play live but it’s painful when you see a blitz coming that you think coan should see coming and he somehow does not. Happens at least twice a game. 

Coan is just not mobile!  He's a statue at times, critical times.  He does seem more like a game manager.  There are two QB's on the sideline with more athletic ability and eventually more upside.  The future looks good!

That was the best defensive effort against the Navy in the years I've watched the series.  it was stifling.

Kelly actually said in his post game...we did enough....and later I don't think we were ever in trouble. 

Both statements are accurate. But they still are not doing things that make you think this is a top team, or to just bury a team like this. 

They will move up one slot with Oklahoma losing. Michigan State has Ohio State and Penn State left and Michigan has Ohio State. If osu plays like they did today, they won't lose another conference game. 

The most I see ND moving up is 3 spots this season; leaving them at number 6. 

• Like 1

I'm not interested in the Irish making the Final Four.  I want them to improve week by week, and get a decent bowl game in a nice location.

Not a clean game tonight, but a good game for the Irish.  They left some points out there but had enough to win comfortably.  The also had a chance to play some players who needed to see the field for experience.

• Like 1

Kind of a boring game, think that had to do with Virginia’s starting quarterback being out. Irish got on top and were never threatened. You guys are right, while most teams keep their foot on the gas BK likes to go conservative and play it safe, at least in my opinion. I love Kyren Williams, he is so damn tough to bring down and run to watch. Also liked what I saw from the young safeties converted from cornerback/wide receiver  (Ramon Henderson and Xavier Watts). They’ll be needed next season. And the frosh rb Diggs could be a beast next year replacing Williams. Irish should finish 11-1 and go to a good bowl and hopefully win it!!! I think when it’s all said and done ND will be one of the final 2 out.  

On another note, could this be one of the easiest schedules Notre Dame has ever had? 

• Like 1

When the Irish come out and dominate, I never think that is a boring game. I'd rather see ND pound their opponent into submission in hopes that the committee will see that that could be one of the top four teams, versus having a heart attack in a game that comes down to the end. 

Notre Dame dominated a good Virginia team on their home field last night. Not sure what else they could have done. The defense is playing well and Coan has found his stride. Notre Dame showed me last night that they they are as worthy as anyone for that #4 spot. I feel that Georgia and Bama are two best teams with the other two spots wide open. But I also agree that Notre Dame is going to have a problem moving up four spots with games against Georgia Tech and Stanford to end the season. What will hurt ND is the fact that they have no victories over a Top 15 team.........unless Wisconsin finishes that high by seasons end. 

2 hours ago, BTF said:

When the Irish come out and dominate, I never think that is a boring game. I'd rather see ND pound their opponent into submission in hopes that the committee will see that that could be one of the top four teams, versus having a heart attack in a game that comes down to the end. 

Notre Dame dominated a good Virginia team on their home field last night. Not sure what else they could have done. The defense is playing well and Coan has found his stride. Notre Dame showed me last night that they they are as worthy as anyone for that #4 spot. I feel that Georgia and Bama are two best teams with the other two spots wide open. But I also agree that Notre Dame is going to have a problem moving up four spots with games against Georgia Tech and Stanford to end the season. What will hurt ND is the fact that they have no victories over a Top 15 team.........unless Wisconsin finishes that high by seasons end. 

A good (albeit shorthanded) Virginia team.  Don’t let that slip through the cracks.