Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2021

Bobref

8 minutes ago, temptation said:

A good (albeit shorthanded) Virginia team.  Don’t let that slip through the cracks.

Yes. Without their starting quarterback Virginia had a very slight chance to compete let along win. Without him playing the Irish could do nothing to impress their resume for the playoff committee in my opinion. Had they shut down that offense with Armstrong playing maybe the committee would have been impressed. 

19 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Yes. Without their starting quarterback Virginia had a very slight chance to compete let along win. Without him playing the Irish could do nothing to impress their resume for the playoff committee in my opinion. Had they shut down that offense with Armstrong playing maybe the committee would have been impressed. 

I see no path unless Cincinnati gets beaten and the Big Ten cannibalizes itself and all three (OSU, UM, MSU) Eve with two losses.

Many years ago at a Cardinal Ritter/Cathedral game, a young Cathedral student said to his mother, "let's go home, this game is boring."  His mother's reply, "the Irish are winning 35-0, that's anything but boring."   Boring is in the eye of the beholder.

Notre Dame just isn't talented, or deep, enough to compete with Georgia, Alabama or Ohio State.  I just want them to win out and go to a warm place for a bowl game, where they can get some extra practice and start getting better for next season.

3 hours ago, temptation said:

A good (albeit shorthanded) Virginia team.  Don’t let that slip through the cracks.

Notre Dame has some key players out as well. The quarterback is pretty important though, I'll give you that. 

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

Notre Dame just isn't talented, or deep, enough to compete with Georgia, Alabama or Ohio State. 

If Oregon can beat Ohio State (beginning of the season.......blah blah blah) and PSU and Nebraska can both come within 9 points of the Buckeyes, then Notre Dame can compete. Everyone puts Ohio State on a pedestal, but they've come up short in their last three playoff appearances, two of those losses embarrassing ones. 

If you're an Irish fan who still wants the Irish in the CFP, then you must be happy that tOSU is putting the big hurt on MSU today.  MSU shouldn't have been rated over the Irish anyway because Purdue beat MSU and Notre Dame beat Purdue.  I believe that detail is being taken care of this afternoon.

On 8/4/2021 at 7:48 AM, temptation said:

I'm thinking the futures bet on ND over 8.5 wins seems like a lock, no?

Quite the opposite actually Bobby.  I cashed in on this bet (as well as IU under 8 last week).

Pretty weak schedule for the Irish honestly and it finally looks like not playing in a conference title game is going to hurt them for a change.

Not much stopping ND at this point but themselves. If they look solid against Stanford, then they are in. As it stands now, the Irish are #6 in the rankings. They'll move ahead of the OSU/Michigan loser. They'll also move ahead of Alabama after Georgia gives them their second loss. Hell, if Houston can pull the upset over Cincinnati, Notre Dame could end up being a 3 seed. 

Let's face it, Notre Dame is an annual 10 game winner and the recruiting is only getting better. For anyone out their that doesn't like the Irish, you might want to just pass on watching college football in 2022. Next year is looking pretty good..............and the year after, and the year after. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BTF said:

Not much stopping ND at this point but themselves. If they look solid against Stanford, then they are in. As it stands now, the Irish are #6 in the rankings. They'll move ahead of the OSU/Michigan loser. They'll also move ahead of Alabama after Georgia gives them their second loss. Hell, if Houston can pull the upset over Cincinnati, Notre Dame could end up being a 3 seed. 

Let's face it, Notre Dame is an annual 10 game winner and the recruiting is only getting better. For anyone out their that doesn't like the Irish, you might want to just pass on watching college football in 2022. Next year is looking pretty good..............and the year after, and the year after. 

While it looks better for the Irish this morning than it did yesterday I’m not so sure this is entirely true.

What’ll be interesting is if Bama loses a close one to UGA do they have the balls to drop them out?  They wouldn’t go to 4 because of a rematch.

Then, does the big 12 champ jump ND (especially if it’s Okie State who has 1 loss) while the Irish are sitting at home?

They CAN’T jump Cincinnati if the Bearcats continue to step on the gas like they did yesterday.

As to your other point. While I don’t label myself a Notre Dame “hater” I don’t like em.  I think Kelly is slightly above average on game days but he’s a great recruiter.

They are benefiting right now from the fact that their “rivals” are all in a downward spiral.  They were heads and shoulders above every team on their schedule this year in terms of talent.  

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BTF said:

I think it’s like 40 straight wins vs unranked opponents. The Irish and BK have built a program that is much better than any program besides those top 3 or 4 (Alabama, Ohio St, Georgia, Clemson?) in the country. But there’s still a gap between ND and those top teams. Next year they open the season vs Ohio State, we’ll get to see then if they’ve closed that gap.

• Like 2

Just for 💩 💩 💩 and giggles; scenarios that get the Irish in the playoffs

Georgia beats Alabama and Ohio State beats Michigan

Alabama beats Georgia by a wide margin and Michigan beats Ohio State

Cincinnati loses a game

Ohio State loses to either Michigan or the conference championship opponent. 

Honestly though, as far as the Michigan Ohio State game, the loser is out no matter what. I just cannot see a two loss team getting in the playoff. If Georgia loses big to Bama, they very well could drop out of the top 4. Their strength of schedule hurts them if they do lose. If that game is a close one with Bama winning (3-7 point margin) then they both are in and the Irish are out. Out of these top 6 teams, there really is only one quality win at the moment, and that was Cincy winning at Notre Dame. 

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Just for 💩 💩 💩 and giggles; scenarios that get the Irish in the playoffs

Georgia beats Alabama and Ohio State beats Michigan

Alabama beats Georgia by a wide margin and Michigan beats Ohio State

Cincinnati loses a game

Ohio State loses to either Michigan or the conference championship opponent. 

Honestly though, as far as the Michigan Ohio State game, the loser is out no matter what. I just cannot see a two loss team getting in the playoff. If Georgia loses big to Bama, they very well could drop out of the top 4. Their strength of schedule hurts them if they do lose. If that game is a close one with Bama winning (3-7 point margin) then they both are in and the Irish are out. Out of these top 6 teams, there really is only one quality win at the moment, and that was Cincy winning at Notre Dame. 

NO way UGA drops out of the top 4.

I too fear a close SEC title game in which Bama still gets in.  I just can’t see them putting them at number four though which then sets up a rematch.

7 hours ago, temptation said:

I too fear a close SEC title game in which Bama still gets in.  I just can’t see them putting them at number four though which then sets up a rematch.

I don't think a close loss to Georgia gets Alabama in. Clemson was close to beating Georgia, but it doesn't mean they are a playoff team.

Losing to a three loss Texas A&M team, almost losing to a pitiful Florida team, barely beating Arkansas at home, and a close loss to Georgia will eliminate them from the conversation. Besides, I don't care how good your conference is. A two loss team shouldn't jump a one loss team from a Power Five school or a one loss Notre Dame team. If you lose two games in the regular season, you blew your shot to call yourselves national champions.

A two loss Bama team in the playoffs would be a crime. I'd rather see a one loss Oklahoma State team get a shot versus a two loss Alabama team. 

Agreed, I do not think UGA falls out of the top 4 with a loss to Bama.

Hopefully Bama loses which would make them have 2 losses. (2nd playoff ever without them in it) 

Off past experience, I feel like the conference champions will get more love by the committee. Michigan, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St. are all right behind us also with one loss. 

Do you guys think they will put any of the conference champs in ahead of us, that is not there now, if we beat Stanford? 

Notre Dame is playing some darn good ball. I got the opportunity to be at the game Saturday v.s Georgia Tech, awesome senior night! 

1 hour ago, CouldHalfBen said:

Agreed, I do not think UGA falls out of the top 4 with a loss to Bama.

Hopefully Bama loses which would make them have 2 losses. (2nd playoff ever without them in it) 

Off past experience, I feel like the conference champions will get more love by the committee. Michigan, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St. are all right behind us also with one loss. 

Do you guys think they will put any of the conference champs in ahead of us, that is not there now, if we beat Stanford? 

Notre Dame is playing some darn good ball. I got the opportunity to be at the game Saturday v.s Georgia Tech, awesome senior night! 

“Us?”

Settle down Rudy.

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, temptation said:

“Us?”

Settle down Rudy.

I had to laugh at that as well, so thanks for that. But if you want to get right down to it. He was at the game. Imagine playing a game with no crowd. So it's not unreasonable to say "us." 

Just now, BTF said:

I had to laugh at that as well, so thanks for that. But if you want to get right down to it. He was at the game. Imagine playing a game with no crowd. So it's not unreasonable to say "us." 

I mean, it was even Georgia Tech…the game where Rudy got his “sack” (though he WAS offsides).

ND should beat down the tree tonight. Stanford cannot run the ball or stop the run which is unusual for a Stanford team. 
11-1 would be a heckuva coaching job by BK and staff, especially with how poor the o line and inconsistencies of qb play was at the beginning of the year. 

47 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

ND should beat down the tree tonight. Stanford cannot run the ball or stop the run which is unusual for a Stanford team. 
11-1 would be a heckuva coaching job by BK and staff, especially with how poor the o line and inconsistencies of qb play was at the beginning of the year. 

Notre Dame was more talented than every team they took the field with this year and is going to finish with one top 25 win.

Come on.