Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2021

Bobref

15 minutes ago, BTF said:

It will take Brian Kelly three years to rebuild LSU. He has the talent at Notre Dame to win next year. 

Maybe we'll hire Urban Meyer and win the championship in Brian Kelly's first year out. 

My guess is that Swarbick still remembers the plane landing in Utah and Meyer sending it back. That bridge has burned, and there is too much baggage with Meyer after that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Irishman said:

My guess is that Swarbick still remembers the plane landing in Utah and Meyer sending it back. That bridge has burned, and there is too much baggage with Meyer after that. 

I am thinking it's time to back up the BRINK's truck and get Luke Fickell in the fold for the Irish, and I am a LUTHERAN...  Go Valpo!  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, psaboy said:

IMO, Kelley going to LSU is bad move, mostly for LSU. I think you need to be from dem parts to recruit there, Kelley is a bit "Yankee" AIMO. Kelley would get big payday and he is at end of his career, so he really has not much to lose, 

Absolutely in AGREEMENT!!!  This has the feeling of a 'money grab' all over it.  

Kinda like that girl that you know you have NO BUSINESS having any interest in you, but you get all giddy when she pushes upon you....It won't end well.  But the paycheck may be nice.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, psaboy said:

IMO, Kelley going to LSU is bad move, mostly for LSU. I think you need to be from dem parts to recruit there, Kelley is a bit "Yankee" AIMO. Kelley would get big payday and he is at end of his career, so he really has not much to lose, 

Saban and Miles were both “Yankees” and both won national titles there. Kelly built an arguable top 5 program with recruiting restrictions at ND, imagine what he’ll do at LSU without them. Louisiana produces some serious in-state talent and there’s no other major in-state program to compete with.

• Like 1

I’m shocked. Sounds like notre dame was too. I will say the program is in a much better place than when he arrived. 
I’d like Marcus Freeman but first time head coaching job being at notre dame may be too much to handle. But the recruits love him and he’s a great young up and coming coach. So is Tommy Rees. 
And there’s still a slight chance they make the playoffs.  What odd timing 

3 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

Absolutely in AGREEMENT!!!  This has the feeling of a 'money grab' all over it.  

Kinda like that girl that you know you have NO BUSINESS having any interest in you, but you get all giddy when she pushes upon you....It won't end well.  But the paycheck may be nice.

Yep, it is the retirement check he (and most people) would like to get. Good luck to him if it happens, some web sites are already saying he is hired. Funny no mention of this on WNDU or WSBT, the main local news feeds here in the greater metro tri-plex of SB/Mish/Elk

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Saban and Miles were both “Yankees” and both won national titles there. Kelly built an arguable top 5 program with recruiting restrictions at ND, imagine what he’ll do at LSU without them. Louisiana produces some serious in-state talent and there’s no other major in-state program to compete with.

Kelley is not close to Saban. Miles, maybe closer, who knows. 

• Like 1

Just now, psaboy said:

Yep, it is the retirement check he (and most people) would like to get. Good luck to him if it happens, some web sites are already saying he is hired. Funny no mention of this on WNDU or WSBT, the main local news feeds here in the greater metro tri-plex of SB/Mish/Elk

He was making $7-8 million/yr at ND, Kelly obviously came to the realization he just wasn’t going to win a National Title at Notre Dame.

Nick Saban

Alabama

SEC

$7,300,000

Jim Harbaugh

Michigan

Big Ten

$5,250,000

Charlie Strong

Texas 54 Big 12 $5,000,000

Kevin Sumlin Texas A&M 50 SEC $5,000,000

Urban Meyer Ohio State 50 Big Ten $4,800,000

Bob Stoops Oklahoma 54 Big 12 $4,750,000

Les Miles LSU 61 SEC $4,500,000

Art Briles

Baylor

Big 12

$4,250,000

Steve Sarkisian

USC

Pac 12 

$4,250,000

Kirk Ferentz

Iowa

Big Ten

$4,000,000

Gus Malzahn Auburn 49 SEC $4,000,000

James Franklin Penn State 42 Big Ten $4,000,000
13 Brian Kelly Notre Dame 53 Ind. $4,000,000

7 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Kelley is not close to Saban. Miles, maybe closer, who knows. 

Nick Saban was 34-24-1 at Michigan State before getting hired on at LSU. He had one good year at 9-2 and was virtually .500 every other year. Brian Kelly cleaned up a huge mess at ND and built a top 5 program. Kelly is 10x more established at his time of hiring compared to LSU. Perspective please.

15 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

He was making $7-8 million/yr at ND, Kelly obviously came to the realization he just wasn’t going to win a National Title at Notre Dame.

False.

12 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Nick Saban

Alabama

SEC

$7,300,000

Jim Harbaugh

Michigan

Big Ten

$5,250,000

Charlie Strong

Texas 54 Big 12 $5,000,000

Kevin Sumlin Texas A&M 50 SEC $5,000,000

Urban Meyer Ohio State 50 Big Ten $4,800,000

Bob Stoops Oklahoma 54 Big 12 $4,750,000

Les Miles LSU 61 SEC $4,500,000

Art Briles

Baylor

Big 12

$4,250,000

Steve Sarkisian

USC

Pac 12 

$4,250,000

Kirk Ferentz

Iowa

Big Ten

$4,000,000

Gus Malzahn Auburn 49 SEC $4,000,000

James Franklin Penn State 42 Big Ten $4,000,000
13 Brian Kelly Notre Dame 53 Ind. $4,000,000

This is obviously outdated.

His base is supposed to be $7M and with the other benefits $9M

He has taken them about as far as he could.  Making the playoff is one thing but winning it?  I think ND would always be a player or 2 short.  Plus there is not more ND can give him.  Swarnrick has given him everything he has wanted.

Fickel has said ND or OSU are the only 2 jobs he would leave for.  Could Campbell from Iowa State be on the radar?

I know I posted it as a joke, but follow the LSU lead and swing for the fences. Talk to Day. I will throw another name out there some may not be thinking of, but Greg Schiano is worth considering. There may even be a couple more names from the B1G that may be considered. 

• Like 1

There was some belief that this was a ploy to get a bigger contract from ND, but according to SI.com, Kelly sent a late night text to his team.

"Let me first apologize for the late night text and, more importantly, for not being able to share the news with you in person that I will be leaving Notre Dame," Kelly wrote. "Our program is elite because of your hard work and commitment and I know that will continue. I will share more in the morning when we meet."

8 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Nick Saban was 34-24-1 at Michigan State before getting hired on at LSU. He had one good year at 9-2 and was virtually .500 every other year. Brian Kelly cleaned up a huge mess at ND and built a top 5 program. Kelly is 10x more established at his time of hiring compared to LSU. Perspective please.

My perspective comes from Natty's won, thank you very much!! If Kelley felt any heat at ND for not winning the big one, just wait till he gets to LSU. They ran a guy out of there that won the big one 2 years ago. I want to see him do well down there, I'm sure a lot of us will be watching.

8 hours ago, Irishman said:

Notre Dame was late to that party. Meyer already made up his mind to go to Florida.