Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2021

Bobref

8 hours ago, psaboy said:

IMO, Kelley going to LSU is bad move, mostly for LSU. I think you need to be from dem parts to recruit there, Kelley is a bit "Yankee" AIMO. Kelley would get big payday and he is at end of his career, so he really has not much to lose, 

I think Kelly is arguably the best coach in college football. I mean, look what he's done with a bunch of smart kids! I think his biggest enemy is complacency with a contract like this. But I really don't think he'll fall down that road. His desire to be a national champion coach is really high. 

• Haha 1

It's one thing if Kelly took LSU's offer over his 4 million/yr at Notre Dame. But if he was up there in the 7-9 range, I find this hard to stomach. He had a good chance to get that statue within the next three years. With the recruits he has coming in and Tyler Buchner waiting his turn, I feel that a national title was likely either in '22 or '23. 

7 minutes ago, psaboy said:

He sure does like the college students though !!

That video pretty much eliminates him as a candidate. 

54 minutes ago, psaboy said:

My perspective comes from Natty's won, thank you very much!! If Kelley felt any heat at ND for not winning the big one, just wait till he gets to LSU. They ran a guy out of there that won the big one 2 years ago. I want to see him do well down there, I'm sure a lot of us will be watching.

Kelly wants to win a title. Period. He’s 60 years old. Kelly (clearly) feels LSU gives him the best chance to win a title rather than ND. Ed Orgeron and Les Miles won titles at LSU, they aren’t in the same breath as Kelly.

When I heard the news, I was just sick. But I’ve had some time to think about it now.

Good luck to Coach Kelly. He gave Our Lady’s university a decade of his life. We got fair value for what he was paid. He and his wife became important members of the community. He is the winningest Notre Dame coach of all time. He will take his place alongside Rockne, Leahy, Parseghian, and Holtz. Most importantly, he is not leaving the cupboard bare. So, I think most ND people will wish Coach Kelly well, and move on. This is a great opportunity for ND to move into the next phase of the football program with a new coach. Luke Fickel is the name everyone is talking about. But don’t sleep on Marcus Freeman, the 1st year DC. He’s a sensational recruiter and a great defensive coach. I expect he’ll be elevated to interim HC for the bowl game. Conventional wisdom is that your first job as a head coach should not be Notre Dame. But he might be the exception..

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, temptation said:

Gimme an honest coach wish list ND fans...

Home run hire?  Who is it?

Who'd make you happy?

Who to avoid?

Home run: Ryan Day

Be happy with: Fickell and Schiano

OK with, but would make me wonder: Fleck, Frost, Harbaugh, Chryst

Avoid: Bielema, Meyer; guys with no experience as a head coach. 

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

What about Freeman? I feel like that is who is going to be hired?

I think he is too.....just not sure....I added under ones to avoid, coaches with no head coaching experience. He fits there, right? I know he was the DC at Cincy, but that is all I knew about him. I am curious to see if Kelly offers him the same spot at LSU

24 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I think he is too.....just not sure....I added under ones to avoid, coaches with no head coaching experience. He fits there, right? I know he was the DC at Cincy, but that is all I knew about him. I am curious to see if Kelly offers him the same spot at LSU

Ahh good point. 

Don't think he leaves with Kelly. He's either going to be promoted to HC at ND or take Fickell's job if he leaves for Notre Dame. Notre Dame is finally starting to land some serious 5* talent, much of it attributed to Freeman and they may want to salvage some of that momentum. Also not sure if Notre Dame can wait potentially wait on Fickell to till the end of December or even early January. Signing Day is in two weeks. 

AD Jack Swarbrick meeting the media at 10am local time. Sounds like Marcus Freeman may be named interim head coach for now. He would get my vote, I think if he stays that will keep the recruiting class together and also keep the defense as a strength. I'm anxious to see who goes to LSU with the kelly? will Tommy Rees stay and run the offense? Will any of the other assistants feel slighted if Freeman becomes the head man after being there for one year? I'm still shocked about this, but I'm am excited for a new chapter if Freeman is the guy.

37 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Home run: Ryan Day

Be happy with: Fickell and Schiano

OK with, but would make me wonder: Fleck, Frost, Harbaugh, Chryst

Avoid: Bielema, Meyer; guys with no experience as a head coach. 

Scott Frost is not worthy of consideration. The other three would be Ok, but wouldn't stoke much excitement from my end.

28 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

AD Jack Swarbrick meeting the media at 10am local time. Sounds like Marcus Freeman may be named interim head coach for now. He would get my vote, I think if he stays that will keep the recruiting class together and also keep the defense as a strength. I'm anxious to see who goes to LSU with the kelly? will Tommy Rees stay and run the offense? Will any of the other assistants feel slighted if Freeman becomes the head man after being there for one year? I'm still shocked about this, but I'm am excited for a new chapter if Freeman is the guy.

I bet a few go, but don't see Tommy Rees leaving. Assuming Freeman gets the job (which I think he will) I think it would be wise to hire a former head coach on staff to help Freeman transition to head coach, similar to what Juwan Howard did at Michigan with Phil Martelli in basketball. Bring on someone like Gary Patterson to be the namesake DC and associate head coach would be much beneficial in my opinion. 

Other than his record at Cincinnati, what is the appeal with Fickel? I've never heard of him as an innovator on defense, and it appears all he ever coached at Ohio State was defense with the Co-Coordinator tag as well. Pure gut feeling with no analytical logic, but I have a feeling he's going to underwhelm when he leaves Cincinnati. 

One of the trolls at Deadspin with their anti-Kelly, anti-ND take:  https://deadspin.com/brian-kelly-broke-up-by-text-after-the-second-date-1848136433

If you’re a Notre Dame fan, and I assume you’re done trashing your underground hovel and listening to your entire Bob Seger collection, you can look forward to the fact that you’re only about 10 months away from watching Brian Kelly getting his brains beaten in by various SEC schools. It’s a cold world in college football when you can’t handpick the whole schedule, and then be done various favors by the committee desperate to chase the ratings that only your ignorami provide as Notre Dame once again gets its intestines festooned around whatever stadium they get assigned in its first playoff game. That first 30-point loss to Ole Miss is going to hit you right between the eyes.

Or maybe you can come to the realization that you’ve been supporting someone who presided over a program that had a hand in the death of two students, and even though it’s utterly disgusting he will leave with an even bigger payday waiting instead of the disgrace that should have awaited him, you can promise to do better. You won’t, which always makes for a hilarious but saddening juxtaposition with Touchdown Jesus. But hey, the Irish aren’t the only organization to pervert Jesus to their needs. And I enjoy it when you show the world who you truly are.

It’s kind of amazing that it took this long for some other school to prove once again that Notre Dame is nothing more than an also-ran with a vegetable reputation being kept alive for decades on life support by a fanbase and media that can barely cling on to the distant memories of whenever it was ND mattered last. Perhaps LSU is just that desperate, Perhaps they’ve taken leave of their senses. Whoever comes next will be happy to use Notre Dame as a stepping stone, too, but they’ll be quicker about it than Kelly. Hopefully they won’t kill anyone along the way.

Deadspin is the worst. The absolute worst. I could barely read the rest of that after seeing them steal a great line from Gangs of New York: 

"I took the father. Now I'll take the son. You tell young Vallon I'm gonna paint Paradise Square with his blood. Two coats. I'll festoon my bedchamber with his guts."

5 minutes ago, BTF said:

Does that tell us that they have their sights on Fickell? 

Or they feel there's no turning back if they give Freeman the Interim tag.

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

When I heard the news, I was just sick. But I’ve had some time to think about it now.

Good luck to Coach Kelly. He gave Our Lady’s university a decade of his life. We got fair value for what he was paid. He and his wife became important members of the community. He is the winningest Notre Dame coach of all time. He will take his place alongside Rockne, Leahy, Parseghian, and Holtz. Most importantly, he is not leaving the cupboard bare. So, I think most ND people will wish Coach Kelly well, and move on. This is a great opportunity for ND to move into the next phase of the football program with a new coach. Luke Fickel is the name everyone is talking about. But don’t sleep on Marcus Freeman, the 1st year DC. He’s a sensational recruiter and a great defensive coach. I expect he’ll be elevated to interim HC for the bowl game. Conventional wisdom is that your first job as a head coach should not be Notre Dame. But he might be the exception..

Agree with this post with the exception of "He will take his place alongside Rockne, Leahy, Parseghian, and Holtz." No national championship, no statue. If another coach comes in and wins with all this talent that Kelly left here, then Kelly will long be forgotten as the new coach's statue is put in place. Lets be honest here, with what Notre Dame has and the recruits coming in, the Irish have a VERY strong chance of becoming national champs either next year or the after..........as long as they don't get hit hard with decommits and transfers. 

Kelly knows he had a better chance of winning a title with ND over the next three years than he does with LSU. He just couldn't turn down the money they threw at him.

Edited by BTF
correction

57 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Other than his record at Cincinnati, what is the appeal with Fickel? I've never heard of him as an innovator on defense, and it appears all he ever coached at Ohio State was defense with the Co-Coordinator tag as well. Pure gut feeling with no analytical logic, but I have a feeling he's going to underwhelm when he leaves Cincinnati. 

I think his record at Cincy is a critical piece. I don't think people are really looking for innovation. I would say that he has elevated the program with his ability to recruit. Cincy is a tough sell for a lot of young guys. If anyone has been on campus, that stands out. He has been at Cincy long enough to say it's the players he has brought in that have the team in the CFP; regardless of any feelings about whether they should be or not.

16 minutes ago, BTF said:

Agree with this post with the exception of "He will take his place alongside Rockne, Leahy, Parseghian, and Holtz." No national championship, no statue. If another coach comes in and wins with all this talent that Kelly left here, then Kelly will long be forgotten as the new coach's statue is put in place. Lets be honest here, with what Notre Dame has and the recruits coming in, the Irish have a VERY strong chance of becoming national champs either next year or the after..........as long as they don't get hit hard with decommits and transfers. 

Kelly knows he had a better chance of winning a title with ND over the next three years than he does with LSU. He just couldn't turn down the money they threw at him.

You do recall that he is Notre Dame’s all time winningest coach, right?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

You do recall that he is Notre Dame’s all time winningest coach, right?

Some fans, including yourself may never forget him for that. Other fans will forget all about him after Fickell or Freeman get that championship that they haven't had in 34 years.

If I may, let's edit your statement just a little. "He will take his place just underneath Rockne, Leahy, Parseghian, and Holtz."