Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2021

Bobref

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

He'd be smart too but sounds like LSU is prepared to make Freeman the highest paid DC in America at well over $2mil/yr. But I don't think Freeman is a coordinator anywhere next year, he'll be a head coach. 

Agree. 

44 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

OK, I’m officially on the Freeman bandwagon. The alternative, I’m afraid, is a major reboot.

22 minutes ago, Bobref said:

OK, I’m officially on the Freeman bandwagon. The alternative, I’m afraid, is a major reboot.

Notre Dame "should" never have to reboot, in my opinion. I get the love and support for Freeman and I do think he'll one day end up being a very good college HC, but player support/recruiting retainment really shouldn't be the mitigating factor in the hiring process. Same thing happened with USC and Clay Helton. Helton was named the interim after they fired Sarkisian and it was in large part due to outspoken support by then current players and committed recruits. That same support landed Helton an extension that certainly wasn't warranted. 

ND is a big boy program and they will make the right decision and it very well could be Freeman and he very well could kill it in South Bend for the next 20 years, but the decision shouldn't be based on player/recruit input. 

• Like 1

Bob Davie, Charlie Weis, Gerry Faust, 

ND is not the place for a coach to take his first HC job at.  No place like it in college football.  Freeman only being there one year is even more alarming.  Folks were calling for his head thru first half of season and then they played some dismal programs Navy, Virginia, Georgia Tech and Stanford snd suddenly he is God’s gift to defense.  

Fickell is safer choice.  Another name is Dave Arandi of Baylor.  

I get it people want Freeman because the players love him

They loved Gerry Faust too….

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Notre Dame "should" never have to reboot, in my opinion. I get the love and support for Freeman and I do think he'll one day end up being a very good college HC, but player support/recruiting retainment really shouldn't be the mitigating factor in the hiring process. Same thing happened with USC and Clay Helton. Helton was named the interim after they fired Sarkisian and it was in large part due to outspoken support by then current players and committed recruits. That same support landed Helton an extension that certainly wasn't warranted. 

ND is a big boy program and they will make the right decision and it very well could be Freeman and he very well could kill it in South Bend for the next 20 years, but the decision shouldn't be based on player/recruit input. 

Valid.

21 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Keeping current recruiting class in tact. Also a pretty good young offensive player caller.

Marcus Freeman, new head coach. Go Irish 

Against crappy teams perhaps

did you watch any games the last couple years? 
cincy?

alabama?

Clemson? 

AWFUL

27 minutes ago, temptation said:

So the question becomes, who does the first year head coach bring in as his defensive coordinator?

Good question. It sounds like most of the staff is staying. Rees (OC/WB) Taylor (RB) mcnulty (TE) Elston (DL) Mickens (DB) are the names I’ve heard who are back. With that in mind I’d think elston or perhaps freeman still runs the D??

45 minutes ago, RingLeader said:

As in you cant defend it?  
I agree

Defend what? Alabama has beaten down almost everyone they’ve played it seems since Saban has been there? That nobody could beat Trevor Lawrence when he was at Clemson? That Cincinnati actually has a good team and beat up a team that couldn’t block anyone at the time and didn’t figure out the qb situation??

30 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Well, Swarbrick’s roll of the dice is officially underway. This represents a huge gamble for the Irish. Just hope the upside is worth it.

I like the hire. A risk? Absolutely. Ryan Day seems to be doing just fine. Notre Dame has good football team. It sounds like they'll work hard for him............same can be said for the existing staff surrounding him. The recruits, at a level ND hasn't seen in a long time, will keep their commitments. All that being said, ND is poised to continue their success for at least a couple more years. This is better than Freeman going to LSU, recruits decommitting, and players entering the transfer portal. Not to mention a f--- y-- to LSU and Brian Kelly. You don't get Freeman, he's staying. Now all Freeman has to do is get his first championship before Kelly does. And you better believe everyone still on board will do everything to make that happen. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BTF said:

I like the hire. A risk? Absolutely. Ryan Day seems to be doing just fine. Notre Dame has good football team. It sounds like they'll work hard for him............same can be said for the existing staff surrounding him. The recruits, at a level ND hasn't seen in a long time, will keep their commitments. All that being said, ND is poised to continue their success for at least a couple more years. This is better than Freeman going to LSU, recruits decommitting, and players entering the transfer portal. Not to mention a f--- y-- to LSU and Brian Kelly. You don't get Freeman, he's staying. Now all Freeman has to do is get his first championship before Kelly does. And you better believe everyone still on board will do everything to make that happen. 

The reign of The Chosen One is about to commence. And I’m not talking about Freeman. 

• Like 1

AP source: Notre Dame set to promote Freeman to head coach

https://apnews.com/article/college-football-sports-football-brian-kelly-notre-dame-fighting-irish-football-c5b80950e0ebbc4174a07e8590dcca75

Notre Dame is working on a deal to promote defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman to head coach to replace Brian Kelly, a person with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press on Wednesday night.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because nothing had been finalized, though the first piece of Notre Dame’s plan to regroup after Kelly left for LSU earlier this week had already fallen into place.

Offensive coordinator Tommy Rees informed Notre Dame he would remain with the Fighting Irish instead of joining Kelly in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Notre Dame released a video on Twitter of Rees telling the team he was staying put.

The next step is elevating the 35-year-old Freeman, who would become the second Black head football coach at Notre Dame after Tyrone Willingham (2002-04).

The person told AP that Kelly also had interest in bringing Freeman to LSU. Kelly left Notre Dame after 12 seasons and with the Fighting Irish still in contention for a spot in the College Football Playoff. He was introduced Wednesday as the Tigers’ coach.