Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2021

Bobref

38 minutes ago, temptation said:

We will see tomorrow.  Bama an underdog for the first time since 2015 and knowing they NEED to win to keep their season alive.

Not betting against Saban.

The pressure of being a coach in the SEC may be weighing heavy on Kirby this evening. While we know that Kelly really did not have any significant wins, or at least won a game they were not favored in.....has Kirby? I don't follow Georgia, but nothing comes to mind. Does his seat get warm if they lose tomorrow? Or lose it the playoff if they stay in the top 4? I am guessing Saban knows the pressure is on Kirby tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, temptation said:

We will see tomorrow.  Bama an underdog for the first time since 2015 and knowing they NEED to win to keep their season alive.

Not betting against Saban.

Agreed, just don't think Bama's offense is good enough going against the UGA defense.

Now, for sheer craziness purposes regarding the Playoffs, I hope tomorrow is WILD.

Example: UGA, OSU, Cincy, Michigan all losing.

For your sake, I hope UM wins 🙂

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DE said:

Agreed, just don't think Bama's offense is good enough going against the UGA defense.

Now, for sheer craziness purposes regarding the Playoffs, I hope tomorrow is WILD.

Example: UGA, OSU, Cincy, Michigan all losing.

For your sake, I hope UM wins 🙂

UGA gets a freebie.  They are in regardless.

6 hours ago, DE said:

Will BK get a statue at ND?

100% no. Had he retired from football as the coach of Notre Dame, the university may have considered. No chance now that he jumped ship for another program with his team in contention for the playoffs. 

6 hours ago, temptation said:

UGA gets a freebie.  They are in regardless.

I find it perplexing that there is a lot of talk about a two loss Alabama team getting in, but absolutely no talk of a two loss Ohio State team getting in. Who wins this game on a neutral field? I'll take Ohio State. 

3 hours ago, BTF said:

100% no. Had he retired from football as the coach of Notre Dame, the university may have considered. No chance now that he jumped ship for another program with his team in contention for the playoffs. 

I find it perplexing that there is a lot of talk about a two loss Alabama team getting in, but absolutely no talk of a two loss Ohio State team getting in. Who wins this game on a neutral field? I'll take Ohio State. 

Good analysis BTF.

My question was posed more TIC, but still legit....

If they did erect a statue in BK's honor, what color would they make his face?  The calm, cool, and collected BK or the wild-eyed, tomato red faced BK?  🙂

22 hours ago, Bobref said:

As I said, the program is in great shape and ready to assume a position with the elites … except in one area: recruiting. Just compare the number of 5 stars at Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State with the number at ND. As much as anything else, we need a superstar recruiter as the face of the program. By all accounts, that describes Coach Freeman.

If you aspire to championships, and what you’re doing is very good, but won’t get you there, you either try something else or change your goal. I’m for trying something else.

But as you have stated multiple times that "something else" will never be concessions regarding academic standards at Notre Dame.  Therefore the Irish's pool of "5 start OMG! athletes" available to them just got cut by probably 50% or more.  Good luck with that, even with a "superstar recruiter."

I truly believe unless this changes the ND faithful will have to be happy with "10-11 wins every year, getting to the final four every 4 yrs. or so, filling the stadium, etc."

Edited by Muda69

21 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Thank you.  I'll wait patiently.

I mean he did coin some third string QB who had 11 pass attempts in November “the chosen one”.

He often seems to have all the answers, so why would this be any different?

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm back from a short vacation spent mostly with the in-laws.  It was not uneventful as my wife's first cousin tested positive for COVID, another first cousin totaled her car on the way to meet us and has severe whiplash injuries and a second cousin was hospitalized with COVID.  There were plenty others to visit though.

As far as football goes, never bet against Saban in a big game.  We should know better by now.  He's the master at getting his players to play lights out in the spotlight.

I'm comfortable with Brian Kelly's leaving.  IMO, he was getting quite stale at Notre Dame.  Marcus Freeman is an excellent choice and I hope he's the coach at Notre Dame for many years to come.  He seems to be the kind of coach that Notre Dame has lacked for many years.  He can coach up and inspire players better than any coach in the Irish near past.  He seems to have the right mentality for the unique challenges of Notre Dame.  I guess we'll find out soon if Jack Swarbrick and the players were right.

The CFP played out just as I'd hoped.  I want the Irish to get to a good Bowl Game, which the Fiesta surely is, and play a team that will challenge them.  I think this will benefit the Irish, long term, more than a playoff spot would.  The future looks bright and I'm hopeful that the ND spirit is on its way back to South Bend.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, temptation said:

Another free ride to 10-11 wins.  9 gimmes, 1 sure loss and two "toss ups" that lean towards an ND win.

"Wake up the echoes."

Shame on Notre Dame for scheduling Ohio State, Clemson, USC, Stanford, BYU, and North Carolina in the same season. 

Is the sure loss because they are playing a certain team on the road? 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Shame on Notre Dame for scheduling Ohio State, Clemson, USC, Stanford, BYU, and North Carolina in the same season. 

Is the sure loss because they are playing a certain team on the road? 

Eh, catching OSU early is a plus, especially since they will likely be losing double figure guys to the draft but yes, they will be underdogs in that game.

Clemson will be a toss up but I lean ND there because I think the loss of Venables will hurt the Tigers dearly.  I think he hid a lot of Dabo’s flaws.

USC is the big mystery.  They’ll hit the transfer portal, have an enthusiastic coach who will play up the rivalry and will get all season to figure things out by the time ND comes to town.

David Shaw is solid but vastly overpaid.  Stanford hasn’t been the same since Harbaugh left.  They are a power 5 in name only.  Easy win for ND.

BYU will hang around for a while but fold.

UNC was vastly overrated this season due to Howell.  They were barely bowl eligible WITH a first round QB under center.  They won’t be a threat in 2022.

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Eh, catching OSU early is a plus, especially since they will likely be losing double figure guys to the draft but yes, they will be underdogs in that game.

Clemson will be a toss up but I lean ND there because I think the loss of Venables will hurt the Tigers dearly.  I think he hid a lot of Dabo’s flaws.

USC is the big mystery.  They’ll hit the transfer portal, have an enthusiastic coach who will play up the rivalry and will get all season to figure things out by the time ND comes to town.

David Shaw is solid but vastly overpaid.  Stanford hasn’t been the same since Harbaugh left.  They are a power 5 in name only.  Easy win for ND.

BYU will hang around for a while but fold.

UNC was vastly overrated this season due to Howell.  They were barely bowl eligible WITH a first round QB under center.  They won’t be a threat in 2022.

All I'm saying is that Notre Dame does a good job of scheduling top notch competition. Even with USC and Stanford being down, their schedule rank is still pretty decent. Most games are scheduled years in advance. Imagine Ohio State, Clemson, USC, BYU, and Stanford having good years. That would rival what goes on in the SEC.