Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2021

Bobref

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Clemson will be a toss up but I lean ND there because I think the loss of Venables will hurt the Tigers dearly.  I think he hid a lot of Dabo’s flaws.

Just heard their offensive coordinator and AD are on their way out as well. It may not even be a toss up at this point. 

Man, cannot believe all your Domers missed this one: 

Players Coach Marcus Freeman (have always been big fan, really seemed impressive the times I saw him work at Purdue)   

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/marcus-freeman-notre-dame-college-football

Listen, I know I’ve been labeled as a player’s coach, and I’m proud to wear that badge. But I’ll be honest, I think there’s a misconception about a player’s coach, that Oh, the players like him — he’s their buddy. And my players know this: just because I don’t walk around like I have to put fear in their hearts, that doesn’t mean the demands aren’t going to be extremely high. I’ve always been a believer that being a coach doesn’t mean there has to be some constant level of discomfort for kids to reach their goals. You can be very demanding, and still make people feel good and still make people feel important — as long as they believe that you have their best interest at heart.

That’s the coach I’ve always been, and I’m going to stay true to that. These kids today are so smart. They’re so intelligent, and they know what’s real and what’s phony. If you’re not authentic they’ll see right through you. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, BTF said:

All I'm saying is that Notre Dame does a good job of scheduling top notch competition. Even with USC and Stanford being down, their schedule rank is still pretty decent. Most games are scheduled years in advance. Imagine Ohio State, Clemson, USC, BYU, and Stanford having good years. That would rival what goes on in the SEC. 

Looking at next year's ND schedule with Marshall, UNLV, and Cal (3 teams that are normally down and I don't remember ND playing) it made me curious who the top hitters have next year out of conference: Alabama plays Utah St, Texas, Louisiana-Monroe, and Austin Peay. Michigan plays Colorado St, Hawaii, and Connecticut. Ohio State plays Notre Dame, Arkansas St, and Toledo. Georgia plays Oregon, Samford, Kent St, and Georgia Tech. Just food for thought.

2 hours ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Looking at next year's ND schedule with Marshall, UNLV, and Cal (3 teams that are normally down and I don't remember ND playing) it made me curious who the top hitters have next year out of conference: Alabama plays Utah St, Texas, Louisiana-Monroe, and Austin Peay. Michigan plays Colorado St, Hawaii, and Connecticut. Ohio State plays Notre Dame, Arkansas St, and Toledo. Georgia plays Oregon, Samford, Kent St, and Georgia Tech. Just food for thought.

ND can't get Michigan and Purdue routinely on the schedule anymore, but can include Ohio State, Marshall, UNLV and Cal??  I guess I just miss the old days.  Also used to love ND playing Penn State and Pitt routinely.  Got the classic photo hanging in my basement of ND vs Penn State, snow coming down, with Rick Mirer and Reggie Brooks.

Not knocking the strength...just miss the old rivalries.....

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Blake Fisher has seemingly made a full recovery from his knee injury. He’s listed as the starter at right tackle vs Oklahoma St in the Fiesta Bowl. 

I hope you’re right. But the reason he’s starting is that Josh Lugg, who started all 12 games at right tackle, hurt his knee in practice and is having surgery.

7 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

This is a good matchup for the Irish.  It's what I had hoped for.

I hope the Freeman years get off to a good start!

GO IRISH!!!!!!!!!!!

As an ND Irish fan, you hoped that they were playing in a bowl game other than the CFP????

I sure hope that Marcus learns that you cannot ever play prevent against a good team in the last minutes of the half.  The easy score the Irish presented to the Cowboys was the turning point of the game.  This game sort of brings back memories of the USC/Anthony Davis game of the past.  The game ain't over until it's over!  Momentum is a crazy thing.

Also Jack Coan was way too hot and cold today.  He missed a lot of open receivers in the 2nd half.  Good luck to him wherever he goes after today.

5 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Looks like a complete collapse by the Irish.  

Yep!

NOW the officials finally call defensive holding against OSU!

That was a frustrating game to watch. Along the lines of what Bobref asked, why did they stick with Coan for so long? While he had a few decent throws, he is not a zone read type qb, and so many throws were just off or really bad. Defense missed too many tackles, and Oklahoma State moved too easily too often. 

38 minutes ago, Irishman said:

That was a frustrating game to watch. Along the lines of what Bobref asked, why did they stick with Coan for so long? While he had a few decent throws, he is not a zone read type qb, and so many throws were just off or really bad. Defense missed too many tackles, and Oklahoma State moved too easily too often. 

I understand what you are saying, but that’s a difficult sell when the guy has (at the time) 3 or 4 TD passes. 

Orlovsky and Wischusin mentioned numerous times how hard it was to run against the Okie St. front throughout the year. Maybe that had something to do with it. 🤷 

Edited by DE

1 hour ago, DE said:

I understand what you are saying, but that’s a difficult sell when the guy has (at the time) 3 or 4 TD passes. 

Orlovsky and Wischusin mentioned numerous times how hard it was to run against the Okie St. front throughout the year. Maybe that had something to do with it. 🤷 

Coan may have had those TD passes, the one to Mayer was thrown behind him. It took a great play by Mayer to catch the ball. There were a couple throws that were deep with no one close. The pick he threw in the 4th quarter is inexcusable. On a few incompletions, especially on out routes or digs, he threw late instead of leading them. I said it early in the season, he cannot throw a guy open. 
OK State had a solid front against the run, but Coan is not a zone read QB. He made several bad reads. There was one in particular on a 3rd and 2, outside guy crashes down the line hard, but he gives any way. That is a keep read all day. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Irishman said:

Coan may have had those TD passes, the one to Mayer was thrown behind him. It took a great play by Mayer to catch the ball. There were a couple throws that were deep with no one close. The pick he threw in the 4th quarter is inexcusable. On a few incompletions, especially on out routes or digs, he threw late instead of leading them. I said it early in the season, he cannot throw a guy open. 
OK State had a solid front against the run, but Coan is not a zone read QB. He made several bad reads. There was one in particular on a 3rd and 2, outside guy crashes down the line hard, but he gives any way. That is a keep read all day. 

Personally, I don’t think either of the other 2 QBs would have given ND a chance to win in the way Coan did. 

We both know he didn’t give up 38 points, but was the leader of the offense, throwing 5 TDs. 

I agree w you about the give/pull read.