Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

New football sectional pairings for 21-22 Announced

45 minutes ago, temptation said:

Every time I read this I get more and more fascinated for some odd reason.

A team traveling through two OTHER states to play an in-state game is flat out hysterical to me.

Just a weird bit of geography. 

2017 was bizarre all the way around. Evansville Central played at East Central (EC vs EC) on Friday after driving through KY and OH en route. Saturday featured Lawrenceburg at Evansville Memorial (Tigers vs Tigers) driving the opposite route. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 10:28 AM, Justasportsfan said:

The wind to this sail would be money. Narrowing the gaps in population by expanding classes could possibly create more chances for those who would never get over the hump. Get bigger, faster, and stronger will always reign supreme. I'm playing devils advocate here yet I could see in the next decade or so us expanding to 8 classes.. that 3a program that is struggling to get kids out could benefit from hardware being added to their case. Heck a community playing for a spot in the sectional title could provide the jolt they need. As far as the actual math game..not sure on what parameters would be..just for starters..

<400 kids 1a

<800 kids 2a

<1200 kids 3a

<1600 kids 4a

<2000 kids 5a

<2500 kids 6a

<3000 kids 7a

>3000 kids 8a

I haven't checked how many schools would fall into each bracket. Create more bye weeks and a few schools would automatically play for sectional titles. An example of carmel playing its first playoff game for a sectional seems to be ok with me..travel for programs could be an issue yet they'd be traveling for something worthwhile. No I don't want every kid getting ring. Yes I am worried about dwindling numbers moving forward.

Even though you say it in the second to last sentence, this still strikes me as why don't we just make enough trophies for every school and let them all be State Champions.

Edited by BDGiant93

On 5/10/2021 at 6:39 PM, oldunclemark said:

There should be 32 teams in 6A..  The 32 teams with the biggest enrollment.

A 3-team sectional isnt a sectional. Its one game for somebody

Let Class 1A have the byes/ They need them.   There's five eight teams sectionals in 1A

I think 5A should also be a full 64 team tournament.  These schools have unlimited kids.  All of the byes should be in 1A.  Smaller rosters, more kids playing both ways, etc.

• Like 3

On 6/17/2021 at 12:44 PM, BDGiant93 said:

Even though you say it in the second to last sentence, this still strikes me as why don't we just make enough trophies for every school and let them all be State Champions.

If you're a big enough program to be deemed the highest then yes..the first game you play would be for a sectional title..not every school..just the biggest..give em a few bye weeks..unfair advantage..yes..risk of injury during practice..yes..the pro could be the "mega" programs would probably travel well n the gate would make back the money of them not playing the first 2 weeks..I do not want to dilute titles...when communities experience those runs they can be gamechangers n..state champs no..maybe a sectional title(1) in their record book..I know hardware isn't the only motive yet it sure helps to see ur possible future high school do damage come tourney time..

On 6/19/2021 at 12:03 AM, Justasportsfan said:

If you're a big enough program to be deemed the highest then yes..the first game you play would be for a sectional title..not every school..just the biggest..give em a few bye weeks..unfair advantage..yes..risk of injury during practice..yes..the pro could be the "mega" programs would probably travel well n the gate would make back the money of them not playing the first 2 weeks..I do not want to dilute titles...when communities experience those runs they can be gamechangers n..state champs no..maybe a sectional title(1) in their record book..I know hardware isn't the only motive yet it sure helps to see ur possible future high school do damage come tourney time..

There will always be someone at the bottom of each class. It just works out that way. I've worked at Ben Davis and Franklin Central and live in Decatur. I've seen all sides.

9 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

There will always be someone at the bottom of each class. It just works out that way. I've worked at Ben Davis and Franklin Central and live in Decatur. I've seen all sides.

But you have to admit that being at the bottom of each class doesn’t tell the whole story.

There are schools In 6A in the same class with schools 2-2.5x their enrollment.

23 hours ago, temptation said:

But you have to admit that being at the bottom of each class doesn’t tell the whole story.

There are schools In 6A in the same class with schools 2-2.5x their enrollment.

So, do we now split 6A into 16? So you have 16 teams competing for a title? The line has to be drawn somewhere. So, if we split 6A in half, Center Grove would be in the smaller class of the two. Carmel is 2+x the enrollment of Center Grove.

50 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

So, do we now split 6A into 16? So you have 16 teams competing for a title? The line has to be drawn somewhere. So, if we split 6A in half, Center Grove would be in the smaller class of the two. Carmel is 2+x the enrollment of Center Grove.

That’s an option.  I also like DT’s 24 team idea.

The bottom 1/4 of 6A is football purgatory.