Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

New football sectional pairings for 21-22 Announced

Hoping the stay in 1A and not moving up to 2A produces a good result for the season. 2A seems to have been spread out with Pioneer, Luers, Eastbrook and LCC as well as others up and coming. 

6 hours ago, BTF said:

I'm giving Zionsville a 50/50 shot of getting out of regional. What about Valpo? I haven't heard anyone chime in on them yet. Any of the Duneland guys want to chime in?

Tommy has already anointed Valpo as the 5A north representative. 

25 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Tommy has already anointed Valpo as the 5A north representative. 

Sure. Who the heck is Tommy?

Let's just say the north will be fun to watch this year.

11 hours ago, Basementbias said:

Hoping the stay in 1A and not moving up to 2A produces a good result for the season. 2A seems to have been spread out with Pioneer, Luers, Eastbrook and LCC as well as others up and coming. 

Luers has to be the favorite... If they return most of what they had in the State Game in 20 they will be athletic and very, very good.

11 hours ago, BTF said:

Sure. Who the heck is Tommy?

Let's just say the north will be fun to watch this year.

Not sure, some poster from page one of the thread. How good do you think Snider will be this season? 

1 hour ago, psaboy said:

Not sure, some poster from page one of the thread. How good do you think Snider will be this season? 

Potentially? Good enough to get to the state finals. The kids of course have to put in the work. They have some studs, but then again, they had some studs last year. I think the biggest difference is how young they were last year. 

At the end of the day I think it will be a very competitive tournament with Snider, Dwenger, Zionsville, and Valpo. No offense to any I failed to mention. 

On 5/3/2021 at 8:40 PM, Tommy said:

Cake walk for Valpo in 5A North.

Valpo!?! Who do they even have returning? Lost Burbee, Jones, Dingman, their QB, Hofer, etc. They do return Vinyard at RB, but he'll need A LOT of help. I would give the edge to Zionsville right now based on last year's results and who they have returning. Valpo won't even have a cakewalk in Sectionals.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

Luers has to be the favorite... If they return most of what they had in the State Game in 20 they will be athletic and very, very good.

Required summer reading for both programs.  

https://www.amazon.com/Football-Clock-Management-John-Reed/dp/0939224399?scrlybrkr

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Potentially? Good enough to get to the state finals. The kids of course have to put in the work. They have some studs, but then again, they had some studs last year. I think the biggest difference is how young they were last year. 

At the end of the day I think it will be a very competitive tournament with Snider, Dwenger, Zionsville, and Valpo. No offense to any I failed to mention. 

https://www.amazon.com/Football-Clock-Management-John-Reed/dp/0939224399?scrlybrkr

Edited by Robert
Edit

This is not the year for Valpo. They have been dominant no doubt and will always be solid, but they had some high quality talent during this run, especially the last two, that they will not have this year. Chesterton, LaPorte, and Michigan City bring back more talent and contributors than Valpo. With Chesterton not being in 5A, I don't think  Valpo can get past who ever wins sectional 10 to even have to worry about the Ft. Wayne rep or Zionsville. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 9:10 AM, Trojanmp52 said:

Or CG had to play a team that has two weeks of rest and time to prep for a game 

Take a look at the first 5 weeks of Center Grove's schedule

33 minutes ago, DACNUT said:

This is not the year for Valpo. They have been dominant no doubt and will always be solid, but they had some high quality talent during this run, especially the last two, that they will not have this year. Chesterton, LaPorte, and Michigan City bring back more talent and contributors than Valpo. With Chesterton not being in 5A, I don't think  Valpo can get past who ever wins sectional 10 to even have to worry about the Ft. Wayne rep or Zionsville. 

I like Morton as a potential darkhouse to get to northern semistate

On 5/4/2021 at 9:10 AM, Trojanmp52 said:

Or CG had to play a team that has two weeks of rest and time to prep for a game 

Take a look at the first 5 weeks of Center Grove's schedule

17 hours ago, Basementbias said:

LCC and Pioneer had to go to 2A to escape the potential for knocking the other out early in the tournament.  In the past 20 years, LCC and Pioneer have met like 13 times in post-season with 11 of those resulting in one or the other being knocked out in sectionals.  In at least a couple of those cases it was #1 vs. #2 and in a couple of cases it was the very first game of sectionals where #1 eliminated #2.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

LCC and Pioneer had to go to 2A to escape the potential for knocking the other out early in the tournament.  In the past 20 years, LCC and Pioneer have met like 13 times in post-season with 11 of those resulting in one or the other being knocked out in sectionals.  In at least a couple of those cases it was #1 vs. #2 and in a couple of cases it was the very first game of sectionals where #1 eliminated #2.

Pretty crazy that Pioneer/LCC go from being in the same sectional/regional for years to being on different halves of the bracket...

3 hours ago, foxbat said:

Yep, why we need to try to make hay while the sun is shining. Last year I knew SA was not going to let 2019 happen again. They should still be good but they lost key players. AC has a good Sr and Sophmore class with some talented Jr's. 

3 hours ago, scarab527 said:

Michigan City is a better pick imo. 

I think the two programs are fairly close   Either should be able to play with Valpo.  Morton has really beefed up its schedule.  They open up with 3 6A opponents, including Elkhart, and travel to Indy cathedral and Bloomington South.  I dont think they would have taken on this type of schedule unless they knew they had a solid team this coming season.  I dont know anything about their coach as he just came on board last year in the shortened season.  

Thought I heard some of the kids who transfereed to Merrillville were going back to Morton.  Any word on that?

ASS SECTIONAL JOHN HARRELL'S INDIANA HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RECENT SEASONS
5A 9 E-MAIL CORRECTIONS FOOTBALL FIELD 0-0
TOURNAMENT HISTORY
HAMMOND MORTON
GOVERNORS
Coach: Mac Mishler, 3-1 in 2nd year at school

DATE OPPONENT CENTRAL TIME OA 0.0, DA 0.0
Aug. 20   Portage 6A 7:00 pm    
Aug. 27 at Lake Central 6A 7:00 pm    
Sep. 3 at Elkhart 6A 6:30 pm    
Sep. 10 at Munster 5A 7:00 pm    
Sep. 17   Gary West 4A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 24 at Indianapolis Cathedral 5A 6:30 pm    
Oct. 1   Hammond Central 5A © 7:00 pm    
Oct. 9 at Bloomington South 5A 5:00 pm    
Oct. 15 at East Chicago Central 4A © 7:00 pm    
©GREAT LAKES CONFERENCE GAME
Edited by DT

10 hours ago, 1st_and_10 said:

Agree but if they have to play in bad weather in the playoffs it could be a problem for them.  I don't see a 2A defense stopping their passing attack but wind, rain, ice and/or snow could and they didn't show the ability to stop a good running game in the playoffs last season.  I could see a Pioneer, Andrean, Eastbrook, or Eastside (or whoever emerges as the top teams in the North) knocking them off in bad weather.

If they get back to Lucas Oil, I don't know how they lose.  Clark would have to have a really bad game and 2A South looks like it could be kind of weak without Western Boone in it but you never know who may emerge or re-emerge.  Linton-Stockton fans seem to always think whoever beats them is going to win it all.  It's too bad they couldn't re-set the sectionals this year because 2A could use it for a little competitive balance.  3A too actually.    

4 hours ago, foxbat said:

Will be interesting to see if they end up back together in 2022.  I'd guess so.  LCC has no business going through the South.  

• Disdain 1

Jaylon Smith played on four championship teams for Bishop Luers. His senior year was the Knights last championship 9 years ago. That's quite a drought for the mighty Knights. That was also the elder Linday's last year as the head coach. Good luck to his son this year. It will be nice to see him get his first. 

10 hours ago, BTF said:

Think a lot depends on how much of a "leap" Haupert can make from soph year to jr. year. Need a strong season out of Brown the lead back, I'm expecting to be. 

2 hours ago, XStar said:

Agree but if they have to play in bad weather in the playoffs it could be a problem for them.  I don't see a 2A defense stopping their passing attack but wind, rain, ice and/or snow could and they didn't show the ability to stop a good running game in the playoffs last season.  I could see a Pioneer, Andrean, Eastbrook, or Eastside (or whoever emerges as the top teams in the North) knocking them off in bad weather.

If they get back to Lucas Oil, I don't know how they lose.  Clark would have to have a really bad game and 2A South looks like it could be kind of weak without Western Boone in it but you never know who may emerge or re-emerge.  Linton-Stockton fans seem to always think whoever beats them is going to win it all.  It's too bad they couldn't re-set the sectionals this year because 2A could use it for a little competitive balance.  3A too actually.    

Will be interesting to see if they end up back together in 2022.  I'd guess so.  LCC has no business going through the South.  

About a decade ago, LCC and Scecina met in LOS two years in a row representing the North and South, respectively, in 1A.  Now it appears they'll possibly have a chance to do so in regionals in 2A.  Similarly, LCC met Linton a couple of years later in a North/South meeting in 1A too.  Could meet up in South semi-state if the stars align.  Definitely a long shot, but it'd be something to see LCC and Pioneer play each other at LOS which would never happen with both in 1A pre-COVID.

14 hours ago, XStar said:

LCC won't make it out of sectionals this year.....

yes, I know something you don't know.....

No, I won't tell you what that something is, you will see in time...

And you are only half right if you think this statement has something to do with the school affiliated with on my profile....

Edited by RedwoodCowTippers

11 minutes ago, RedwoodCowTippers said:

LCC won't make it out of sectionals this year.....

yes, I know something you don't know.....

No, I won't tell you what that something is, you will see in time...

And you are only half right if you think this statement has something to do with the school affiliated with on my profile....

I don't know what any of the teams in that sectional have coming back or coming in, LCC included.  So if you do, you certainly know more than me.  Not a high bar to clear on that front and really not anything that's going to have anyone on the edge of their seat going into next season so the allusion to some sort of big secret is kind of funny.  Tell me.  Don't tell me.  No big deal to me either way. 

I will say that for anyone in that sectional to end up at Lucas Oil in 2021, they will have to be much improved from last season but stranger things happen every single year.

Edited by XStar
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, DT said:

I think the two programs are fairly close   Either should be able to play with Valpo.  Morton has really beefed up its schedule.  They open up with 3 6A opponents, including Elkhart, and travel to Indy cathedral and Bloomington South.  I dont think they would have taken on this type of schedule unless they knew they had a solid team this coming season.  I dont know anything about their coach as he just came on board last year in the shortened season.  

Thought I heard some of the kids who transfereed to Merrillville were going back to Morton.  Any word on that?

ASS SECTIONAL JOHN HARRELL'S INDIANA HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RECENT SEASONS
5A 9 E-MAIL CORRECTIONS FOOTBALL FIELD 0-0
TOURNAMENT HISTORY
HAMMOND MORTON
GOVERNORS
Coach: Mac Mishler, 3-1 in 2nd year at school

DATE OPPONENT CENTRAL TIME OA 0.0, DA 0.0
Aug. 20   Portage 6A 7:00 pm    
Aug. 27 at Lake Central 6A 7:00 pm    
Sep. 3 at Elkhart 6A 6:30 pm    
Sep. 10 at Munster 5A 7:00 pm    
Sep. 17   Gary West 4A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 24 at Indianapolis Cathedral 5A 6:30 pm    
Oct. 1   Hammond Central 5A © 7:00 pm    
Oct. 9 at Bloomington South 5A 5:00 pm    
Oct. 15 at East Chicago Central 4A © 7:00 pm    
©GREAT LAKES CONFERENCE GAME

All the kids who transferred to Merrillville are graduating, so Morton won’t be getting any of them back. Morton has always made its living getting transfers from Gary or out of district in general so maybe if they get some studs that way they’ll be decent. But if they’re just putting together the Morton and Gavit teams from last year, no way they’ll be able to play with Valpo. Maybe whoever made their schedule knows something I don’t, but those games against Elkhart and especially Cathedral are going to get ugly unless some new transfer studs are coming to Morton. It’s one thing to give yourself a hard schedule, and an entirely different thing to schedule teams that are truthfully way out of your league.