Jump to content

New football sectional pairings for 21-22 Announced


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Trojanmp52 said:

For most people I know once we are south of Big Ben road off of 37/69 we are in northern Kentucky

so we are south of the state lol

Center Grove is in Sectional 8. That means that they are south per the IHSAA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

There is? Based on what exactly? According to the 2019-2020 count (which is the last accurate data count we have access to) Jeffersonville had an enrollment of 2,035 while Castle has an enrollment of 1,965. Are 70 students considered a BIG enrollment gap between schools?

Not too long ago, Jeffersonville was at 2200 and Castle was at 1800.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

Not too long ago, Jeffersonville was at 2200 and Castle was at 1800.

Before or after the most recent CONFIRMED enrollment data I provided? If it was before, then your statement does not exactly hold weight as it would seem the gap has shrunk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2021 at 4:05 PM, temptation said:

Three team sectionals?  What a joke.

Nothing like getting a bye to the sectional championship.

True, but then you play in the sectional championship after 2 weeks off. That's a long stretch for high school kids. I think one week off does a lot for the bigger schools (that play a big school schedule) especially if you're playing a team for the second time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/11/2021 at 7:20 AM, NLCTigerFan07 said:

That is how it will be in the future - but the IHSAA could not accurately confirm which 32 schools belonged in 6A this year. It is not that hard to grasp. There is no way accurately telling which 2 schools should be moved up because the only accurate data is from previous years, and things have changed since then (with or without COVID). Add in the fluctuating numbers DUE to Covid, the IHSAA thought it best to just keep the same schools in 6A that were in it the last 2 years.

It would have been "unfair" to add Zionsville and Valparaiso to 6A this year without knowing for sure their enrollments were in fact bigger than say.... Jeffersonville, FW Northrop, Harrison (WL) or Castle. Those 6 schools during the last enrollment period were all within 90 students of each other. For all we know, any 2 of those 6 schools would be included in "The 32 teams with the biggest enrollment" as you say.

Thanks, NLC............But it is hard to grasp. Why did 3 teams drop out of 6A?

I dont think there were 29 teams in 6A the last 2 years.///I'm pretty sure there were 32.

If exact enrollments fluctuated, why did some teams drop to 5A?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JeffO2 said:

True, but then you play in the sectional championship after 2 weeks off. That's a long stretch for high school kids. I think one week off does a lot for the bigger schools (that play a big school schedule) especially if you're playing a team for the second time. 

But you are ALWAYS better of with a bye than a game.  You cant be eliminated on bye week.

Nobody can get injured on a Friday that you dont play.

Ask offensive linemen who play every offensive down for nine weeks if they want a bye week (or) two before the playoffs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Thanks, NLC............But it is hard to grasp. Why did 3 teams drop out of 6A?

I dont think there were 29 teams in 6A the last 2 years.///I'm pretty sure there were 32.

If exact enrollments fluctuated, why did some teams drop to 5A?

Next year there are 30 teams in 6A (6 sectionals with 4 teams = 24 teams and 2 sectionals with 3 teams = 6 teams. 24+6=30)

Only 2 teams dropped out of 6A. Those two teams (FW Snider and Columbus East) are NOT 6A enrollment schools, they were in 6A due to Success Factor. During the last 2 years, neither team acquired enough Success Factor points (2 points are needed) to STAY in 6A, thus were dropped to 5A. So it would be "unfair" to make them stay in 6A when they 1) are not 6A by enrollment and 2) did not acquire enough Success Factor points to stay up in the class. Thus, those 2 schools dropped to 5A.

As well, in 5A - the Hammond Schools saw consolidation from 4 high schools to 2 high schools. Previously, the 4 high schools were 2 4A schools and 2 3A schools. Now as 2 high schools, they are BOTH in 5A enrollment.

Thus why 5A went from 33 schools to 37 schools this year. FW Snider and Columbus East dropped due to lack of success factor points in class 6A, and Hammond Central and Hammond Morton were added due to consolidation of high schools.

Edited by NLCTigerFan07
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Next year there are 30 teams in 6A (6 sectionals with 4 teams = 24 teams and 2 sectionals with 3 teams = 6 teams. 24+6=30)

Only 2 teams dropped out of 6A. Those two teams (FW Snider and Columbus East) are NOT 6A enrollment schools, they were in 6A due to Success Factor. During the last 2 years, neither team acquired enough Success Factor points (2 points are needed) to STAY in 6A, thus were dropped to 5A. So it would be "unfair" to make them stay in 6A when they 1) are not 6A by enrollment and 2) did not acquire enough Success Factor points to stay up in the class. Thus, those 2 schools dropped to 5A.

As well, in 5A - the Hammond Schools saw consolidation from 4 high schools to 2 high schools. Previously, the 4 high schools were 2 4A schools and 2 3A schools. Now as 2 high schools, they are BOTH in 5A enrollment.

Thus why 5A went from 33 schools to 37 schools this year. FW Snider and Columbus East dropped due to lack of success factor points in class 6A, and Hammond Central and Hammond Morton were added due to consolidation of high schools.

It's unfortunate that Snider didn't have the two points needed to remain in 6a. But it was never meant to be. Homestead had the better team both years. Snider's down cycle pushed them down a class just in time for their up cycle. Then there's the chance that the up cycle will push them up a class for their down cycle. Still with me? There has to be a better system than this, lol. Anyway...................

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BTF said:

It's unfortunate that Snider didn't have the two points needed to remain in 6a. But it was never meant to be. Homestead had the better team both years. Snider's down cycle pushed them down a class just in time for their up cycle. Then there's the chance that the up cycle will push them up a class for their down cycle. Still with me? There has to be a better system than this, lol. Anyway...................

Yes....not everyone yell at once..having bye weeks b4 the playoffs seem nice..largest schools first game could be for a sectional title even..the money would still be there..more titles for everyone=more community involvement..other states would only know if they look in to it..if another state has 8 classes I have yet to know how or why they break down into the 8..how many is too many?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/6/2021 at 9:44 AM, scarab527 said:

All the kids who transferred to Merrillville are graduating, so Morton won’t be getting any of them back. Morton has always made its living getting transfers from Gary or out of district in general so maybe if they get some studs that way they’ll be decent. But if they’re just putting together the Morton and Gavit teams from last year, no way they’ll be able to play with Valpo. Maybe whoever made their schedule knows something I don’t, but those games against Elkhart and especially Cathedral are going to get ugly unless some new transfer studs are coming to Morton. It’s one thing to give yourself a hard schedule, and an entirely different thing to schedule teams that are truthfully way out of your league. 

You never know....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Then, I guess I do not understand the point you’re trying to make.

Creating more classes would benefit our state and who cares if other states think Indiana is too small to add more. 

  • Disdain 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Justasportsfan said:

Creating more classes would benefit our state and who cares if other states think Indiana is too small to add more. 

I think reasonable people can differ on whether “creating more classes would benefit our state.” Make your case.

And, how many is “more?”

Edited by Bobref
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I think reasonable people can differ on whether “creating more classes would benefit our state.” Make your case.

And, how many is “more?”

The wind to this sail would be money. Narrowing the gaps in population by expanding classes could possibly create more chances for those who would never get over the hump. Get bigger, faster, and stronger will always reign supreme. I'm playing devils advocate here yet I could see in the next decade or so us expanding to 8 classes.. that 3a program that is struggling to get kids out could benefit from hardware being added to their case. Heck a community playing for a spot in the sectional title could provide the jolt they need. As far as the actual math game..not sure on what parameters would be..just for starters..

<400 kids 1a

<800 kids 2a

<1200 kids 3a

<1600 kids 4a

<2000 kids 5a

<2500 kids 6a

<3000 kids 7a

>3000 kids 8a

I haven't checked how many schools would fall into each bracket. Create more bye weeks and a few schools would automatically play for sectional titles. An example of carmel playing its first playoff game for a sectional seems to be ok with me..travel for programs could be an issue yet they'd be traveling for something worthwhile. No I don't want every kid getting ring. Yes I am worried about dwindling numbers moving forward.

  • Disdain 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Justasportsfan said:

<400 kids 1a

<800 kids 2a

<1200 kids 3a

<1600 kids 4a

<2000 kids 5a

<2500 kids 6a

<3000 kids 7a

>3000 kids 8a

I haven't checked how many schools would fall into each bracket.

Yikes.... you should check the numbers then and comeback with a more pheasible breakout of adding 2 additional classes.... because the way you have it now, is no bueno:

~75 schools <400 kids 1A

~114 schools <800 kids 2A

~48 schools <1200 kids 3A

~26 schools <1600 kids 4A

~22 schools <2000 kids 5A

~13 schools <2500 kids 6A

~5 schools <3000 kids 7A

~11 schools >3000 kids 8A

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm curious, do the geographical boundaries for the Warsaw Community school district extend well past the city limits of Warsaw itself, and take up a considerable amount of surrounding Kosciusko County?  It just find it curious that a city a little over 15k can have such a large high school.  In contrast Frankfort is a city of 16k+ with a high school of only around 900.  Thank you.

 

 

  • Disdain 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I'm curious, do the geographical boundaries for the Warsaw Community school district extend well past the city limits of Warsaw itself, and take up a considerable amount of surrounding Kosciusko County?  It just find it curious that a city a little over 15k can have such a large high school.  In contrast Frankfort is a city of 16k+ with a high school of only around 900.  Thank you.

 

 

District Map April 2021

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I'm curious, do the geographical boundaries for the Warsaw Community school district extend well past the city limits of Warsaw itself, and take up a considerable amount of surrounding Kosciusko County?  It just find it curious that a city a little over 15k can have such a large high school.  In contrast Frankfort is a city of 16k+ with a high school of only around 900.  Thank you.

 

 

It appears to take up at least half or close to half of the County.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

I'm curious, do the geographical boundaries for the Warsaw Community school district extend well past the city limits of Warsaw itself, and take up a considerable amount of surrounding Kosciusko County?  It just find it curious that a city a little over 15k can have such a large high school.  In contrast Frankfort is a city of 16k+ with a high school of only around 900.  Thank you.

Yes - the majority of the county (especially concerning where people LIVE) feeds into the high school. Thus why it is named Warsaw Community High School.

As well, while the town of Warsaw has a population of around 15,500 - there are MANY neighborhoods that are just outside of the "city" limits. My old home growing up being one of those. Also, it's important to remember that while Winona Lake is technically a separate town, the two are connected as one. Winona Lake has a population of around 5,000 itself. I would guess that the "greater" Warsaw area has at least 30,000 if not more population considering the county itself has about 80,000.

In the below screenshot:

Orange - Warsaw Community Schools
Green - Wawasee Community School Corporation
Pink - Wa-Nee Community Schools (NorthWood)
Blue - Triton School Corporation
Yellow - Tippecanoe Valley School Corporation
Purple - Whitko Community School Corporation

 

image.png.4ac7c0f81cfe76c6ed2c84d03d576197.png

Edited by NLCTigerFan07
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Yes - the majority of the county (especially concerning where people LIVE) feeds into the high school. Thus why it is named Warsaw Community High School.

As well, while the town of Warsaw has a population of around 15,500 - there are MANY neighborhoods that are just outside of the "city" limits. My old home growing up being one of those. Also, it's important to remember that while Winona Lake is technically a separate town, the two are connected as one. Winona Lake has a population of around 5,000 itself. I would guess that the "greater" Warsaw area has at least 30,000 if not more population considering the county itself has about 80,000.

In the below screenshot:

Orange - Warsaw Community Schools
Green - Wawasee Community School Corporation
Pink - Wa-Nee Community Schools (NorthWood)
Blue - Triton School Corporation
Yellow - Tippecanoe Valley School Corporation
Purple - Whitko Community School Corporation

 

image.png.4ac7c0f81cfe76c6ed2c84d03d576197.png

They sure have an awesome facility for basketball, was there about a month ago. Even if it seems like it's 2 miles from one end to the other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Yikes.... you should check the numbers then and comeback with a more pheasible breakout of adding 2 additional classes.... because the way you have it now, is no bueno:

~75 schools <400 kids 1A

~114 schools <800 kids 2A

~48 schools <1200 kids 3A

~26 schools <1600 kids 4A

~22 schools <2000 kids 5A

~13 schools <2500 kids 6A

~5 schools <3000 kids 7A

~11 schools >3000 kids 8A

That would be one heck of a tournament...LOL! Yes I agree, 8 classes is bad!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

As well, while the town of Warsaw has a population of around 15,500 - there are MANY neighborhoods that are just outside of the "city" limits. My old home growing up being one of those. Also, it's important to remember that while Winona Lake is technically a separate town, the two are connected as one. Winona Lake has a population of around 5,000 itself. I would guess that the "greater" Warsaw area has at least 30,000 if not more population considering the county itself has about 80,000.

Another reason the State of Indiana needs to allocate funding for an interstate connecting Fort Wayne to Chicago running through Warsaw. US 30 is a nightmare and one of the most dangerous highway arteries in the state. Oh wait, that money is going toward an interstate from Indy to Rockville. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

They sure have an awesome facility for basketball, was there about a month ago. Even if it seems like it's 2 miles from one end to the other.

Are you talking about the new TRAC? I can't remember exactly what the acronym stands for, but yes it is awesome. I heard they had like 100 teams here that weekend they hosted the big basketball tournament and used basically every basically court we have in the facility. I want to say there are 3 in the main gym (main gym floor then 1 each in either upper deck), 1 in the auxilary gym and then the 4 courts in the fieldhouse. Definitely wish they had that when I was in school.

For those interested:

https://www.warsawschools.org/page/trac-info

Warsaw's new indoor track/fieldhouse that was opened I think about a year and a half ago (beginning of the 2019-2020 school year). 200m track with spectator seeting as well as 4 basketball courts on the inside, 2 of which have wood floors.

23 minutes ago, BTF said:

Another reason the State of Indiana needs to allocate funding for an interstate connecting Fort Wayne to Chicago running through Warsaw. US 30 is a nightmare and one of the most dangerous highway arteries in the state. Oh wait, that money is going toward an interstate from Indy to Rockville. 

I do not live in the area anymore, but my family still does. I believe there are already preliminary meetings on a US 30 update, including either updating the current route OR creating a new route either NORTH of the city or SOUTH of the city.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...