Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hammond Central - Its not too late - Change Your Nickname NOW!!

Guest DT

The Hammond Central WOLVES.  What in the world could they have been thinking about.  Are there packs of Wolves roaming the City of Hammond?  Is this an homage to Wolf Lake?  Dont we alrewady have WOLVES in Michigan City and Boone Grove?

The Hammond Central Wildcats sounds so much better.  100 Times better in fact.  Why is HC running away from its wonderful history and heritage?

Please Hammond Central admins, supporters, fans and alumni.  Push your school to make this change back to "Wildcats" before the start of the new school year.

Wolves?  Give me a break.  Thats just lazy and boring and inept.  

Total agreement not sure what they were thinking. Can’t use the excuse they didn’t want to feel like clark was taken over by Hammond high because that’s what Morton did to Gavit. Plus the new building is close to the old Hammond high just baffled by this as well.

Edited by Whiting89

5 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

Total agreement not sure what they were thinking. Can’t use the excuse they didn’t want to feel like clark was taken over by Hammond high because that’s what Morton did to Gavit. Plus the new building is close to the old Hammond high just baffled by this as well.

Im surprised and very disapointed that the HHS alumni let this happen.  This is not the old guard that is ushering in this change.  This is new admins from the outside who dont understand the glorious history of Hammond High School.  Calling it Hammond Central was nothing more than hubris and arrogance.  The new school is no more "Central" than is Morton.  Maybe they should have just renamed both schools Hammond East and Hammond West.

Edited by DT

7 minutes ago, southend said:

Is this petty slow time discussion? Uh, what does this do to the school as far as their performance in any of the sports? Explain. 

How would you react if FW Snider changed their nickname to the Cougars?

9 minutes ago, DT said:

What’s the big deal? New school, new nickname. Same thing happened when Elston and Rogers consolidated in Michigan City. Ditto for Central and Memorial in Elkhart. Nothing to see here. Move along.

• Like 1

Just now, Bobref said:

What’s the big deal? New school, new nickname. Same thing happened when Elston and Rogers consolidated in Michigan City. Ditto for Central and Memorial in Elkhart. Nothing to see here. Move along.

I dont like it.  I think it was a poor choice and Im expressing my opinion.  

1 minute ago, DT said:

I dont like it.  I think it was a poor choice and Im expressing my opinion.  

So, it’s the actual nickname they chose you don’t like, as opposed to the fact that they went away from “Wildcats?”

I think its a terrible name.  No creativity.  No connection to anything about he school.  They didnt want to offend the Clark and Gavit people so they went with a mundane, safe choice.  

More and more you see teams named after something that relates to the community. It would be interesting to know who came up with Wolves and why. It just doesn't seem like much thought was put into it. But I'm on the outside looking in. 

50 minutes ago, DT said:

Probably more likely to find a cougar roaming Fort Wayne than a Panther. But then the all black uniforms wouldn't make any sense. Nah, I'll pass. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

Lake Central should be the Laker IMHO.

Lakers, Steelhead, all nice, but there’s nothing distinctive about them.  Hammond Central Migratory Rainbow Trout has a nice ring to it.

• Haha 1

It’s not going to change. Too bad they don’t care about the history. Wolves is terribly generic. They used a “student survey” from a Denver marketing firm last year that doesn’t know Hammond from Carmel, so there is zero community relevance to wolves. A few 16 year olds who were e-learning thought it sounded cool. Just as much a tragedy getting rid of the George Rogers Clark identity.

It is really odd that they decided to change the name. The new school is built directly adjacent to Hammond High on the school’s parking lot and football field. They can’t be more than 20 yards apart.

FWIW, the Michigan City change still has some people upset and I’ve seen good arguments. I know I’ve read it before from MC people on Harrell boards that losing the Elston name really hurt community support/unity/excitement/whatever for MC. Rogers was barely around 20 years and Elston was around for 90, but they decided to go neutral.

I’m disappointed in Hammond, but more concerned now that they get their own football facility ASAP. They’re going to have to share with Morton for at least a year, which stinks and won’t help the program hit the ground running. Hiring a good coach like Adam Hudak will help though. 

Edited by region
  • Like 1

City of Hammond is named after George Hammond. He was the man who invented refrigerated railroad cars.  They should be called the Hammond Ice Trains.

Edited by Tommy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

When Elston and Rogers consolidated in 1995 the students were given a list of nicknames to vote on and Wolves was the winner.

For years Michigan City was known as the Coho Fishing Capital of the Midwest.  I thought the Michigan City Steelheads would have been perfect.

I am constantly asked, “Why is it called Michigan City even though it is in Indiana?”  It is named after the Historic Michigan Road which was a pioneering lumber supply route that crossed the state from Kentucky to the Lake Michigan Shipping port that developed the cities along the Lake Michigan basin.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

City of Hammond is named after George Hammond. He was the man who invented refrigerated railroad cars.  They should be called the Hammond Ice Trains.

That is a nickname that would make the my Hall of Fame.

40 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I would prefer the mascot be named after a regional Indian tribe that used to live in the Lake County area.

Good luck with that in today’s PC climate ... something I know is a particular sore spot with you.

• Thanks 1