Jump to content

Hammond Central - Its not too late - Change Your Nickname NOW!!


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This reminds me of my one and only foray into the coaching ranks. My older daughter was about 8, and I agreed to help out with softball. First practice and a little girl came over complaining that she

City of Hammond is named after George Hammond. He was the man who invented refrigerated railroad cars.  They should be called the Hammond Ice Trains.  

IMHO a better name and mascot than a generic, run of the mill Panther.  Those are a dime a dozen.      

Posted Images

16 hours ago, FarmerFran said:

Could be worse... you could be the Logansport Berries and have Felix the cat be your mascot.

IMHO a better name and mascot than a generic, run of the mill Panther.  Those are a dime a dozen.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 9:02 AM, Tommy said:

City of Hammond is named after George Hammond. He was the man who invented refrigerated railroad cars.  They should be called the Hammond Ice Trains.

 

They call those "reefers" in the logistics industry, but I could see why that may not fly lol. George Hammond also ran one of the largest meat packing pants in the Midwest at the time with the largest plant being in Hammond although Hammond Packers isn't that innovative. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hammond could name the school after certain posters on this board who constantly seek attention. Ladies and gentleman I give you the Hammond Trolls.

Edited by jakone
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2021 at 9:15 PM, DT said:

Here are some better choices :

HC Wildcats

HC Lakers

HC Steelheads

HC Spartans

I'm not familiar with the history of Hammond. Is there a lot of Greek soldiers in their past? Or is there another reason why wolves don't fit their history and Spartans do? 

I am genuinely curious. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 7:02 AM, Tommy said:

City of Hammond is named after George Hammond. He was the man who invented refrigerated railroad cars.  They should be called the Hammond Ice Trains.

 

Tommy!!!

Laying some history on us!!!!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2021 at 7:06 PM, DT said:

I dont like it.  I think it was a poor choice and Im expressing my opinion.  

It was a weak choice, DT....and there are two others Wolves already in NW Indiana.  I wanted the school to continue to be Hammond high as well.

 

(and as you know, 'Bulldogs' is taken.  I just wanted to send you a couple of photos of someone you may know.

The battle for softball supremacy in Lake County goes on!)

3B soph Emily Phillips - 5-5-21- vs. LC.jpg

Emily Phillips after her two-run single vs. LC (5-5-21) 2.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2021 at 7:02 AM, Tommy said:

City of Hammond is named after George Hammond. He was the man who invented refrigerated railroad cars.  They should be called the Hammond Ice Trains.

 

They could've called their gym 'The Ice Box' 

And if they could build a dynasty..it could be 'The Ice Age' 😉

Edited by oldunclemark
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

It was a weak choice, DT....and there are two others Wolves already in NW Indiana.  I wanted the school to continue to be Hammond high as well.

 

(and as you know, 'Bulldogs' is taken.  I just wanted to send you a couple of photos of someone you may know.

The battle for softball supremacy in Lake County goes on!)

3B soph Emily Phillips - 5-5-21- vs. LC.jpg

Emily Phillips after her two-run single vs. LC (5-5-21) 2.jpg

Thanks for the pics OUM.  Emily is quite the athlete.  She actually has more natural talent than her older sister.  I used to go watch her play in youth tournaments.  Her Mom Kate is a tireless supporter and she has been doing everything humanely possible to help these girls achieve such high levels of success at CP.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DT said:

Thanks for the pics OUM.  Emily is quite the athlete.  She actually has more natural talent than her older sister.  I used to go watch her play in youth tournaments.  Her Mom Kate is a tireless supporter and she has been doing everything humanely possible to help these girls achieve such high levels of success at CP.  

I hadn't seen her play before this year. She's good defensively at 3B and her bat is coming around.   I think next year she'll probably be their shortstop.

The big game now is (barring a sectional upset) Crown Point at Lake Central....for the regional title on June 1...I think the winner of that game gets to the state title game.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coachfields said:

I'm not familiar with the history of Hammond. Is there a lot of Greek soldiers in their past? Or is there another reason why wolves don't fit their history and Spartans do? 

I am genuinely curious. 

Spartans is a generic name I chose .  I dont particularly like it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

They could've called their gym 'The Ice Box' 

And if they could build a dynasty..it could be 'The Ice Age' 😉

YOU GUYS ARE STEALING MY THUNDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Call their cheerleaders the Ice Princesses...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

I probably know more about Woofs than anyone on here, I swear to God I do. The real Woofs are Parke Heritage. STATE LAW!

I dont quite get this recent fixation with the name "Wolves" as a mascot.  

It made sense when the Minnesota Timberwolves adopted the name.  Maybe we could go with the Hammond Bison or the Hamond Grizzlies or the Hammond Polar Bears.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

So girls softball is played with the players wearing tennis visors and not traditional baseball caps?  Why?

This reminds me of my one and only foray into the coaching ranks. My older daughter was about 8, and I agreed to help out with softball. First practice and a little girl came over complaining that she couldn’t get a batting helmet to fit. I told her that was because her hair was “too big.” By the time I got home her mother was on the phone reaming me, as the kid went home and started crying because “Coach said I had to cut my hair.” I decided I was not cut out to coach girls.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

So girls softball is played with the players wearing tennis visors and not traditional baseball caps?  Why?

 

 

Neither caps nor visors are a requirement in sotfball or baseball.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, gonzoron said:

 

Neither caps nor visors are a requirement in sotfball or baseball.

I never said they were a requirement, was just curious as to why they choose to wear tennis visors instead of traditional baseball caps.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I never said they were a requirement, was just curious as to why they choose to wear tennis visors instead of traditional baseball caps.

 

I’m telling’ ya, it’s a hair thing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I’m telling’ ya, it’s a hair thing.

As a softball umpire, that would be my guess too. 
 

Never really thought about. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2021 at 8:04 PM, Bobref said:

What’s the big deal? New school, new nickname. Same thing happened when Elston and Rogers consolidated in Michigan City. Ditto for Central and Memorial in Elkhart. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Hello Bob, you are starting to sound like Joe Friday, why don't you add; "Just the facts, just the facts m'am" to your repertoire ?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to beat the dead horse... NFHS Baseball rules SECTION 4 UNIFORMS Article 1 Uniforms of all team members should be of the same color and style. Caps and shoes are required equipment (no track spikes allowed.) When a player is required to wear a head protector, it replaces the cap as mandatory equipment. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Goose Liver said:

Not to beat the dead horse... NFHS Baseball rules SECTION 4 UNIFORMS Article 1 Uniforms of all team members should be of the same color and style. Caps and shoes are required equipment (no track spikes allowed.) When a player is required to wear a head protector, it replaces the cap as mandatory equipment. 

I stand corrected regarding high school baseball, assuming Indiana adheres to the NFHS standard. MLB has no such requirement, neither does high school softball.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DE said:

As a softball umpire, that would be my guess too. 
 

Never really thought about. 

 Never really cared...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...