Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

#1 Oklahoma

BTF

ESPN has Oklahoma at #1 in their preseason power poll. Not that I have an ounce of respect for ESPN or anything they have to say...........but that's another story. Is the media just bored? Tired of the same ol' same ol'? Are we just playing pretend this 2021 in thinking that anyone other than Alabama, Clemson, or Ohio State will be the team to beat? I get it, it's fun to mix things up. Not that Notre Dame will ever be accused of being on a level playing field with those three programs (nor should they) even though they've been on par with Oklahoma over the past decade. Anyway, this isn't about Notre Dame. How good is Oklahoma and are they really good enough to overcome plethora of 5-star athletes that the Big Three programs are using to dominate the college football landscape? 

On 5/11/2021 at 8:03 AM, BTF said:

ESPN has Oklahoma at #1 in their preseason power poll. Not that I have an ounce of respect for ESPN or anything they have to say...........but that's another story. Is the media just bored? Tired of the same ol' same ol'? Are we just playing pretend this 2021 in thinking that anyone other than Alabama, Clemson, or Ohio State will be the team to beat? I get it, it's fun to mix things up. Not that Notre Dame will ever be accused of being on a level playing field with those three programs (nor should they) even though they've been on par with Oklahoma over the past decade. Anyway, this isn't about Notre Dame. How good is Oklahoma and are they really good enough to overcome plethora of 5-star athletes that the Big Three programs are using to dominate the college football landscape? 

Oklahoma has their fair share of 5* talent as well and returns pre-season Heisman favorite and potential 2022 #1 draft pick QB Spencer Rattler. Are they the #1 team? Who knows, they haven't played a game yet. But it's not egregious. If I was a betting man I wouldn't take the field betting against Alabama, Clemson, or Ohio State to win it all, but Oklahoma will run roughshod through the Big 12 and will be one of 4 teams in the playoff. 

I'll believe it when I see it. I read somewhere a few weeks ago where an obscene amount of 5-Star's were enrolling at the Big 3 by comparison to all the other schools combined. Oklahoma wasn't mentioned. It's fun to make an 'outside the box' prediction, which is what ESPN is probably doing. But in the end, it's a three way race. Crown two champions since it's not a level playing field. A champion of 5-Star athletes and a champion for the rest of college football. While were at it, let's crown three. One for actual student athletes (Notre Dame, Stanford, Northwestern, etc.). 

I don't follow Oklahoma or the BIG 12 that closely, I don't see them or any team in that conference getting into the playoffs until they start playing some defense. It seems like OU lays an egg every year and loses a game they should win, and it's usually like 55-46 or48-42.....

• Like 1