Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

5A 2021

Northern 5A gets a new look with Snider jumping into the mix. Overall though, it's looking like Cathedral at the top..........unless they are going through a rebuilding year. Who comes next though? Zionsville seems to be the safe bet, but you can never count out New Pal. Snider returns a boat load from last year. 

Cathedral – Reloading as usual? Up or down this year? Does it make a difference? Number one until proven otherwise.

Zionsville – apparently a pretty good core returning from last year? They were pretty good in 2020 and kids tend to make massive improvements from their junior to senior years.

New Palestine – Although I wasn’t real impressed with his assessment of the Snider/New Pal game in 2015, I still think he is one of the Top 5 coaches in Indiana. Up or down? Someone from Central Indiana chime in on this one. 

Dwenger – coming directly from the Dwenger community, this could be a rebuilding year. Or is it? Jason Garrett has proven himself as a top tier coach. Dwenger is Dwenger, so I’m not buying into the rebuilding talk. Reloading is probably more than likely. They have a tough act to follow though. I’ve never seen a team as dominant as Dwenger over the last two years and not even make it to the state championship game.

Valpo – another program whose contingent claims to be in a rebuilding year. Apparently they’ve lost a lot of studs, but word has it that there is a pretty good quarterback in the pipeline?

Snider – one year removed from their most lackluster performance in three decades, this years team needs to prove itself on the field. Returning 17 starters including an Ohio State recruit anchoring the offense and a Purdue commit anchoring the defense, the pieces are in place for a return to glory

2 hours ago, BTF said:

Northern 5A gets a new look with Snider jumping into the mix. Overall though, it's looking like Cathedral at the top..........unless they are going through a rebuilding year. Who comes next though? Zionsville seems to be the safe bet, but you can never count out New Pal. Snider returns a boat load from last year. 

Cathedral – Reloading as usual? Up or down this year? Does it make a difference? Number one until proven otherwise.

Zionsville – apparently a pretty good core returning from last year? They were pretty good in 2020 and kids tend to make massive improvements from their junior to senior years.

New Palestine – Although I wasn’t real impressed with his assessment of the Snider/New Pal game in 2015, I still think he is one of the Top 5 coaches in Indiana. Up or down? Someone from Central Indiana chime in on this one. 

Dwenger – coming directly from the Dwenger community, this could be a rebuilding year. Or is it? Jason Garrett has proven himself as a top tier coach. Dwenger is Dwenger, so I’m not buying into the rebuilding talk. Reloading is probably more than likely. They have a tough act to follow though. I’ve never seen a team as dominant as Dwenger over the last two years and not even make it to the state championship game.

Valpo – another program whose contingent claims to be in a rebuilding year. Apparently they’ve lost a lot of studs, but word has it that there is a pretty good quarterback in the pipeline?

Snider – one year removed from their most lackluster performance in three decades, this years team needs to prove itself on the field. Returning 17 starters including an Ohio State recruit anchoring the offense and a Purdue commit anchoring the defense, the pieces are in place for a return to glory

Think Cathedral still has to be the favorite. Really hope Snider lives up the hype next season, Indiana high school football is better when they are a contender. Don’t think Valpo will be a title threat. Zionsville should be a contender again, can’t speak for Dwenger. Don’t know what New Pal is returning but will be interested to see how they do, we will find out week 1 vs Decatur Central. Coach Ralph is undoubtedly a top 3 coach, sure a lot of people have him as the best (I do). 

5 hours ago, BTF said:

Cathedral will more than likely be the best team in the state this year regardless of class. They return an absolute ton off last years team, and probably will actually be better this year than last year. Columbus East and New Pal are in the same sectional now since CE is back in 5A.. Those 2 schools have split 2-2 in 4 matchups.. 

Cathedral will be even better this year than last year (they were “young” last year).....and they were just a minute away from being the best team in the State last year...falling late to a Top 10 team nationally (Center Grove).  Add that Cathedral (and Center Grove) were both better than any team in Ohio last year.

Edited by Lysander

All of the aforementioned teams will be will begin summer practice with full intentions of winning the state championship. But for the purpose of this thread, it looks like the biggest question is who Cathedrals strongest contender will be. I know I left out some pretty solid programs..................Whiteland, Decatur Central, Harrison, Plainfield, Castle, Michigan City, and Mishawaka.

22 hours ago, BTF said:

All of the aforementioned teams will be will begin summer practice with full intentions of winning the state championship. But for the purpose of this thread, it looks like the biggest question is who Cathedrals strongest contender will be. I know I left out some pretty solid programs..................Whiteland, Decatur Central, Harrison, Plainfield, Castle, Michigan City, and Mishawaka.

Leaving out Columbus East?  They come back to 5A and have always been a power, though they have to adjust to a new coach.

38 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

Leaving out Columbus East?  They come back to 5A and have always been a power, though they have to adjust to a new coach.

Can never count out Columbus East. An oversight on my part. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

5A North will go through one of Dwenger, Snider, or Zionsville.

Cathedral heavy favorite to win 5A. Castle played Cathedral somewhat tough last year and seem to remember them starting a ton of young guys. Think they may be the biggest challenger to Cathedral. 

Castle lost one of their big O-lineman.  Transfered to Gibson Southern to play with the PU recruit they have at QB.

16 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

Castle lost one of their big O-lineman.  Transfered to Gibson Southern to play with the PU recruit they have at QB.

What about skill position players? I thought they started a few sophomores last year but my memory isn't the best. 

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

What about skill position players? I thought they started a few sophomores last year but my memory isn't the best. 

SIAC guys that still live there could probably fill in better than I, but looks like QB and RB were Sophmores.   Courier and Press said they did have a lot coming back.

1 hour ago, Indiana Fan said:

What about Bloomington South? 2 new move ins who are BIG TIME recruits. Their father will be joining the IU football staff. Maybe the Panthers break through and put together a run.

I don't know much about Gabe Johnson. Losing Mo Moriarty can't be a good thing. I actually thought they would have posted better records during the Drew Wood years. Good luck to them though. When I think of power programs down south, they always come to the surface. 

2 hours ago, BTF said:

I don't know much about Gabe Johnson. Losing Mo Moriarty can't be a good thing. I actually thought they would have posted better records during the Drew Wood years. Good luck to them though. When I think of power programs down south, they always come to the surface. 

They cancelled their Roncalli game at the last minute, so I did not get to see them play, but they lost to Bloomington North team that I did see play.  Was not impressed with Bloomington North.  They also got run over by Castle in playoffs.  So one would think the two move ins would have to be really good for them to improve enough to make a long run out of the South.

18 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

They cancelled their Roncalli game at the last minute, so I did not get to see them play, but they lost to Bloomington North team that I did see play.  Was not impressed with Bloomington North.  They also got run over by Castle in playoffs.  So one would think the two move ins would have to be really good for them to improve enough to make a long run out of the South.

Their two move-ins have multiple power 5 offers and the senior to be was an Ohio St commit. But agree, two players aren't going to carry you at this classification of football. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

Just curious if you got a chance to see Roncalli against Harrison last season and your thoughts?  I didn't get to see the game in person, but in the game recap, it looks like it was a back and forth game with several lead changes between the teams and Roncalli getting the best of the back and forth before time expired.  Harrison's got some growing to do, but am encouraged by the size of the freshman class and their competitiveness.  They've typically been comfortably handled by Westfield in previous years, but this Westfield's freshman squad only beat Harrison by 7.  Unfortunately for Harrison, I think that by the time that freshman squad hits varsity, Harrison's going to probably be big enough to classify as 6A.

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Just curious if you got a chance to see Roncalli against Harrison last season and your thoughts?  I didn't get to see the game in person, but in the game recap, it looks like it was a back and forth game with several lead changes between the teams and Roncalli getting the best of the back and forth before time expired.  Harrison's got some growing to do, but am encouraged by the size of the freshman class and their competitiveness.  They've typically been comfortably handled by Westfield in previous years, but this Westfield's freshman squad only beat Harrison by 7.  Unfortunately for Harrison, I think that by the time that freshman squad hits varsity, Harrison's going to probably be big enough to classify as 6A.

Watched the broadcast, so I was not there.

I was VERY impressed with Harrison's offense.  Dixon was fast and a load to bring down.  QB throws and runs well and I think he comes back this year.  A few other nice skilled position players played very well and gave the Roncalli D a lot of problems.

What was hard to tell was on D.  Seemed like many of the best skilled players were on offense.  I noted that they broght some of the Offensive players like Dixon into the game at times to play D.  Maybe even a o-lineman or two.  Roncalli line is huge, running back was great and this was about the time that the QB took his game to the next level.   Roncalli did that point total to Mooresville (2 OL going to Purdue), so maybe Harrison just played against a really good offensive team.

It was anyone's ball game until the end.   I thought it was a great last minute pick up for Roncalli and the Harrison announcers seemed to say the same thing.

Best of luck next year.

• Like 1

Youth football in bloomington is a fraction of what it was before Myron left the first time. Thus the decline in Talent for South. Moriority got as much out of the limited talent as anybody could. New coach doesn’t seem to have much charisma . Mo wasn’t able to get them back to the highest level. I don’t see Gabe Johnson getting any further. 

54 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Tommy or anyone up in Duneland territory know what Michigan City has returning? I believe they were fairly young last year. I see that 6'0 Sophomore APB Jaden Hart is a player to keep an eye on. 

They bring back starting QB Giovani Laurent, IFCA Jr All-State DB Kennan Tucker Jr, and 2x IFCA All-State Edge Cornell Branch IV, among others. I think they’ll be a solid team that could potentially make a run in 5A north. 

On 5/15/2021 at 7:29 PM, BTF said:

Dwenger will be bad. No Oline no QB. Sad to say but BD won't get out of sectionals.

They need to be back in 4A. This is what I was talking about for years about the success rule. These kids will be crushed in 5A because of the class ahead of them.

3 hours ago, Mebuck said:

Dwenger will be bad. No Oline no QB. Sad to say but BD won't get out of sectionals.

They need to be back in 4A. This is what I was talking about for years about the success rule. These kids will be crushed in 5A because of the class ahead of them.

If Dwenger doesn't get out of sectionals, it's not because they are bad. It's because they are in the same sectional as Snider. Something's got to give. 

I agree with regard to the success rule. But I also don't have the perfect answer. I do like a four year success factor versus two. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BTF said:

If Dwenger doesn't get out of sectionals, it's not because they are bad. It's because they are in the same sectional as Snider. Something's got to give. 

I agree with regard to the success rule. But I also don't have the perfect answer. I do like a four year success factor versus two. 

I think the Ihsaa could assist..I mentioned it in another thread though..the sf says 2 pts should allow u to stay up..maybe move it to 3 or 4?

7 hours ago, Justasportsfan said:

I think the Ihsaa could assist..I mentioned it in another thread though..the sf says 2 pts should allow u to stay up..maybe move it to 3 or 4?

The 2pt stay up  doesn't necessarily bother me. The IHSAA believes that if you are good enough to win a sectional, then you are good enough to stay in that class. I don't dispute that. What bothers me is having a dominant class bumping the rebuilding class up a level. For many programs, their run of success is based on a two year cycle, then they go through a rebuilding phase. So coming up with a certain amount of points over a four year span instead of two makes more sense to me. 

• Like 1