Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

New Donald Trump thread

Muda69

3 minutes ago, Wabash82 said:

Not that this outcome was unexpected, but surely the President could have found a cheaper way to buy 2,000 votes in Michigan for his re-election campaign:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2019/04/23/trumps-washing-machine-tariffs-cost-us-consumers-every-job-created/

He's going to make it up on volume.

2 hours ago, Wabash82 said:

Not that this outcome was unexpected, but surely the President could have found a cheaper way to buy 2,000 votes in Michigan for his re-election campaign:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2019/04/23/trumps-washing-machine-tariffs-cost-us-consumers-every-job-created/

Not a subscriber - Can't read the story.

22 minutes ago, swordfish said:

LOL - it asks me for a subscription.

Trying clearing the multitude of cookies that the WaPo (and a lot of other websites) put on your machine when you visit their sites.  It uses these cookies to track how many articles you have viewed and after a certain threshold has been reached (some as low as one) you'll be prevented from viewing the article and get some kind of "subscribe to me" pop up.

In Google Chrome go to Settings-->Advanced-->Content Settings-->Cookies-->See all cookies and site data.  From here in the 'search cookies" text entry type "washington" or something to that effect.  If should give you a list of all the URL's matching what you typed.    Then just click on "Remove All Shown" to delete them and in effect "reset" your counter.

Edited by Muda69

2 minutes ago, swordfish said:

LOL - it asks me for a subscription.

That's weird. Normally Republicans just get an intense electrical shock sent over the interwebs whem they click the link! 😄

The story outlines a recently-released study (jointly made by the University of Chicago and the Fed) of the effects of the tariff on foreign-made washing machines imposed by the Trump administration at the request of Whirlpool. The study showed that the tariff appeared to create about 2,000 new U.S. jobs, and that the tariff-based price increases paid by consumers for washers and dryers (dryers were not subject to the tariff, but since they are usually bought in tandem with washers, manufacturers thought, why not?) worked out to $1.5 billion annually, or around $815,000 per job created (again, that's an annual cost, presumably, until the tariffs go away).

The study also pointed out that, historically, federal job-creation programs that are funded directly by taxes create one new job per $50,000 of tax dollars directed to the program. 

4 minutes ago, Wabash82 said:

That's weird. Normally Republicans just get an intense electrical shock sent over the interwebs whem they click the link! 😄

The story outlines a recently-released study (jointly made by the University of Chicago and the Fed) of the effects of the tariff on foreign-made washing machines imposed by the Trump administration at the request of Whirlpool. The study showed that the tariff appeared to create about 2,000 new U.S. jobs, and that the tariff-based price increases paid by consumers for washers and dryers (dryers were not subject to the tariff, but since they are usually bought in tandem with washers, manufacturers thought, why not?) worked out to $1.5 billion annually, or around $815,000 per job created (again, that's an annual cost, presumably, until the tariffs go away).

The study also pointed out that, historically, federal job-creation programs that are funded directly by taxes create one new job per $50,000 of tax dollars directed to the program. 

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

Trying clearing the multitude of cookies that the WaPo (and a lot of other websites) put on your machine.  It uses these cookies to track how many articles you have viewed and after a certain threshold has been reached (some as low as one) you'll be prevented from viewing the article and get some kind of "subscribe to me" pop up.

In Google Chrome go to Settings-->Advanced-->Content Settings-->Cookies-->See all cookies and site data.  From here in the 'search cookies" text entry type "washington" or something to that effect.  If should give you a list of all the URL's matching what you typed.    Then just click on "Remove All Shown" to delete them and in effect "reset" your counter.

You may also have to refresh your router's connection to the internet (to your ISP), since they also sometimes track visits to their pages by IP address as well.

2 minutes ago, Wabash82 said:

You may also have to refresh your router's connection to the internet (to your ISP), since they also sometimes track visits to their pages by IP address as well.

Yes they sometime do that.  Kind of a pain, especially if you are accessing the internet via a public access point like at a Starbucks or something. 

12 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Trying clearing the multitude of cookies that the WaPo (and a lot of other websites) put on your machine when you visit their sites.  It uses these cookies to track how many articles you have viewed and after a certain threshold has been reached (some as low as one) you'll be prevented from viewing the article and get some kind of "subscribe to me" pop up.

Thanks Muda - Worked like a charm.

• Like 1

Just now, Muda69 said:

Yes they sometime do that.  Kind of a pain, especially if you are accessing the internet via a public access point like at a Starbucks or something. 

That is one of the reasons I use a VPN on my personal laptop -- in addition to my having finally been convinced by a certain GID poster that the government is out there watching my every move! 😄

1 minute ago, Wabash82 said:

That is one of the reasons I use a VPN on my personal laptop -- in addition to my having finally been convinced by a certain GID poster that the government is out there watching my every move! 😄

A smart move. But then again you are the smartest person on the GID.

• Disdain 1

3 minutes ago, Wabash82 said:

Being a fan of a couple of Chicago teams, I have learned far more about this stuff than I wanted. Even my satellite uses a random ip address. I learned that often times, it shows up as being located in Chicago. The Cubs and Blackhawks split their TV schedule among 3 stations, NBCSN Chicago, WGN Chicago (Not WGN America), and ABC 7. The ABC 7 games are local, over the air only. There are times if the Cubs are on ESPN or Fox (and they are on WGN or even ABC 7), they will be blacked out. Even if I got the Extra Innings package, they would be blacked out. I talked to someone from the mlb asking why I am considered part of the "local viewing area" from 270 plus miles away. He took some time to explain things. He asked for my zip code, and he told me what teams should be blacked out in my area. The Reds, Indians, Cardinals, and Tigers are blacked out, or should be, but he said I should get all of the Cubs games, especially if I had the Extra Innings package. It took some time to get through it all. I can see every Reds game, and there are times I will get an Indians or Tigers game. So, it was explained that I would need to set up a static IP address that is local to fix things. It worked for a while, but is now back to picking up random addresses.

Fun stuff, huh? lol

52 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Being a fan of a couple of Chicago teams, I have learned far more about this stuff than I wanted. Even my satellite uses a random ip address. I learned that often times, it shows up as being located in Chicago. The Cubs and Blackhawks split their TV schedule among 3 stations, NBCSN Chicago, WGN Chicago (Not WGN America), and ABC 7. The ABC 7 games are local, over the air only. There are times if the Cubs are on ESPN or Fox (and they are on WGN or even ABC 7), they will be blacked out. Even if I got the Extra Innings package, they would be blacked out. I talked to someone from the mlb asking why I am considered part of the "local viewing area" from 270 plus miles away. He took some time to explain things. He asked for my zip code, and he told me what teams should be blacked out in my area. The Reds, Indians, Cardinals, and Tigers are blacked out, or should be, but he said I should get all of the Cubs games, especially if I had the Extra Innings package. It took some time to get through it all. I can see every Reds game, and there are times I will get an Indians or Tigers game. So, it was explained that I would need to set up a static IP address that is local to fix things. It worked for a while, but is now back to picking up random addresses.

Fun stuff, huh? lol

Necessity is the mother of invention ... and Internet workarounds.