Football players participating in track and field

Center Grove currently has 29 players participating in track. Even Tayven Jackson 4star QB runs the 400m and place second in sectionals. Is this normal to have this many participate in track.
Does anyone know how many players do both at schools like Carmel and Warren Central 

Posted (edited)

Mine is still wrestling. Have a tournament at Mount Vernon(Fortville) tomorrow.

But the other thing is, those on the track team have not been able to participate in the football workouts.

Edited by gonzoron
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jon said:

Center Grove currently has 29 players participating in track. Even Tayven Jackson 4star QB runs the 400m and place second in sectionals. Is this normal to have this many participate in track.
Does anyone know how many players do both at schools like Carmel and Warren Central 

Glancing at the Evansville sectional results, here are the winners:

100M - Brodie Ev Memorial RB/DB

110H - Mockobee Boonville RB

200M - Thomas Ev Harrison WR 

400M - McDurmon Ev Mater Dei WR/DB

LJ - Mockobee

HJ - Maynard Ev Reitz WR

Shot & Discus - Cox Castle OL

Numerous relay participants were also names you would hear on Friday nights.

• Like 1

This is another area in which Eric Moore gets it and is ahead of the game.

Many coaches talk the talk but fail to walk the walk.  I’ve had numerous experiences in which coaches publicly say they want multi sport athletes yet behind the scenes they threaten playing time and want their hands on their kids year round.

Two sectional performances in track and field that stuck out to me from football studs were Wenkers Wright of Floyd Central and Devin Mockobee of Boonville.  They have a chance to be all state in both.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Mine is still wrestling. Have a tournament at Mount Vernon(Fortville) tomorrow.

But the other thing is, those on the track team have not been able to participate in the football workouts.

Do schools not offer advanced PE/weights during the day?  As to not miss their scheduled weight lifting. 

I recall reading an article or two, about a young man from Andrean (5 ️ LB I believe) that is on the state ranked baseball team, who works out before school. 

I’ve always said. Where there’s a will. There’s a way. 

Have a wonderful weekend. 

Posted (edited)

Not sure about track & field, but Mishawaka has some football players playing baseball. They had a nice article in the SBT (www.southbendtribune.com) about it. 

I live in Indy so I get my hometown news from the SBT. 🤷‍♂️ Sorry if this is off topic. 

Edited by ArmyVet80

8 hours ago, DE said:

Do schools not offer advanced PE/weights during the day?  As to not miss their scheduled weight lifting. 

Yes. Both my kids are enrolled in that. Neither of them participated in Track this spring though. My son's schedule up until this week has been Football workouts Monday and Wednesday, lifting Tuesday and Thursday, and wrestling practice Tuesday and Thursday. The wrestling is all voluntary since it's out of season. Tuesdays and Thursdays require 4 trips daily to the school and back. But I'm retired, I have no problem being his shuttle driver. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

Do you think lacrosse has been helpful  for football?  I think it would be for some of the no skill positions players

No skill?

Lewellen twins from pioneer:

1st n 3rd in 100m

1st in 200m

1st in 110 hurdles

1st in 400m

1st in 300 hurdles

1st in long jump 

Times n distance were respectable. That type of speed on the field had to be dangerous at the hs level.. I seen Snider had a few football players which helped them win their relay..one being the qb I believe..good to see cross training is still allowed..

• Like 1

Linton has a handful of football kids.  Lots of lineman throwing and even running.  Two lineman and a skill guy made it out of sectionals... Senior Landon Giles in the shot (Started both ways on the line)... Junior Drew Smith in the shot and discus (started both ways RB/LB)... Sophomore Wrigley Franklin in the discus (Started at guard last year).  Other football guys... Gabe Eslinger (RB/LB) had a respectable showing in the 100m dash at sectionals, but didn't get out.  Hunter Gennicks (QB/LB) and Jackson Lynn (TE/LB) were hit by injuries late... otherwise they would have a good chance of advancing in their hurdle events.  Kaulin Padgett (RB/DB) had a good year, but failed to advance out of the sectionals as well.  I'm guessing 12-15 football kids who participated.  

In regards to speed and lifting... it really pairs well with football.  It is also geared differently, so it allows more freedom for athletes to lift and still get their workouts/throws in.

• Like 1

Half the schools in Indiana get to play 10 games in a year.  Then 1/2 of the remaining half get to play a 12th game. In other words 75 percent of the teams are done by week 11.   This is not very many times  to learn how to compete.  Football Coaches are generally the ones that want to share athletes.  We want competitors.  We want to develop scholar athletes in as many sports as possible.  As a parent, I want my kids to "Honor Their Talent."  Meaning if they are blessed with the skills and the abilities they should play multiple sports.  It may not be their favorite sport, but they should still play to help their school, their friends/classmates, and their community to field a competitive team.    Meaning if I am a D-1 or D-2 QB for example and I can throw a baseball 85 plus, I should be playing baseball as well.  If I have decent speed, I should help the track team as well.  Some kids will specialize but I am truly not a fan.. Ironically as a football coach I do not want my kids around me all year long.  You have to be multi skilled in the job market  Why not the athletic field.

• Like 1

It is becoming quite clear that young athletes who specialize in a single sport at a young age are much more susceptible to injury than those who participate in multiple sports. Check out this excerpt from a National Federation publication (and check out the author’s name) attempting to encourage multiple sport participation:

A study by the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health which included more than 1,500 high school athletes found that athletes who specialized in one sport were twice as likely to report a lower extremity injury as compared to those who played multiple sports.

Another recent study published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine has those numbers even higher, claiming that spending more than eight months annually in one sport leaves young athletes nearly three times more likely to experience an overuse injury in their hip or knee.

Multiple Sports Increase Their Chances. If an athlete has hopes of playing professional sports, his or her chances surprisingly decrease by sticking with a single sport. One recent study found that those who specialize were more likely to play fewer games than kids with more varied interests. And according to the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine, 88 percent of NCAA Division I male and female athletes participated in an average of at least two or three sports when they were young.

Multiple Sport Participants Make Better Adults. The greatest reason, however, for mixing in other sports is that it makes for more well-rounded adults.

In a study of more than 14,000 12th graders, it was found that youth athletes who participated in multiple sports as kids were more likely to have healthier behaviors later in life such as exercising vigorously each day, getting at least seven hours of sleep regularly, being less likely to smoke and being more likely to eat green vegetables. They also seem to have higher levels of self-esteem and social support, and lower levels of loneliness and self-derogation.

Playing Multiple Sports Reduces Injury Risk, Dr. Tommy John on October 09, 2018

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/playing-multiple-sports-reduces-injury-risk/

Yes, the author is the son of that Tommy John, the former MLB pitcher for whom the surgery was named.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Bobref said:

It is becoming quite clear that young athletes who specialize in a single sport at a young age are much more susceptible to injury than those who participate in multiple sports. Check out this excerpt from a National Federation publication (and check out the author’s name) attempting to encourage multiple sport participation:

A study by the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health which included more than 1,500 high school athletes found that athletes who specialized in one sport were twice as likely to report a lower extremity injury as compared to those who played multiple sports.

Another recent study published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine has those numbers even higher, claiming that spending more than eight months annually in one sport leaves young athletes nearly three times more likely to experience an overuse injury in their hip or knee.

Multiple Sports Increase Their Chances. If an athlete has hopes of playing professional sports, his or her chances surprisingly decrease by sticking with a single sport. One recent study found that those who specialize were more likely to play fewer games than kids with more varied interests. And according to the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine, 88 percent of NCAA Division I male and female athletes participated in an average of at least two or three sports when they were young.

Multiple Sport Participants Make Better Adults. The greatest reason, however, for mixing in other sports is that it makes for more well-rounded adults.

In a study of more than 14,000 12th graders, it was found that youth athletes who participated in multiple sports as kids were more likely to have healthier behaviors later in life such as exercising vigorously each day, getting at least seven hours of sleep regularly, being less likely to smoke and being more likely to eat green vegetables. They also seem to have higher levels of self-esteem and social support, and lower levels of loneliness and self-derogation.

Playing Multiple Sports Reduces Injury Risk, Dr. Tommy John on October 09, 2018

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/playing-multiple-sports-reduces-injury-risk/

Yes, the author is the son of that Tommy John, the former MLB pitcher for whom the surgery was named.

Thank you.