Football players participating in track and field

Track is more popular in some areas, so that's always a help. It's difficult to encourage kids to run track if the coach is a fool who just runs them into the ground. Personally, I'm a big fan of Feed the Cats.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ezra just won the 100m dash in 10.67  

Here is a list of 247 Indiana top 50 for the class of 2021 and 2022 that made finals. 2021 25 Tyren Mason WR 3 star Elkhart Memorial 4x100 26 Devin Mockobee. 3 star Booneville Longjump

It is becoming quite clear that young athletes who specialize in a single sport at a young age are much more susceptible to injury than those who participate in multiple sports. Check out this excerpt

3 minutes ago, JeffO2 said:

Track is more popular in some areas, so that's always a help. It's difficult to encourage kids to run track if the coach is a fool who just runs them into the ground. Personally, I'm a big fan of Feed the Cats.

Feed the cats is a great philosophy and one that has personally helped me distinguish the difference between sprinting and running to those athletes. It amplifies the value of speed development for those who think track and cross country are the same, and shows the variety track has to offer to all. You CAN teach speed.

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, JeffO2 said:

It doesn't have to be one or the other.  You can avoid "running guys into the ground" without adopting the Feed the Cats philosophy.

The problem with Feed the Cats is that it discourages sprinters from trying middle distance/jumping events.  They look across the track as they are busting their asses and see the "cats" cooling down and being released to go home 45 minutes into practice.  Then THEY too want to become "cats."

Problem is once the track and field state tournament starts you are only allows two "cats" per event.  The rest become kittens.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, temptation said:

It doesn't have to be one or the other.  You can avoid "running guys into the ground" without adopting the Feed the Cats philosophy.

The problem with Feed the Cats is that it discourages sprinters from trying middle distance/jumping events.  They look across the track as they are busting their asses and see the "cats" cooling down and being released to go home 45 minutes into practice.  Then THEY too want to become "cats."

Problem is once the track and field state tournament starts you are only allows two "cats" per event.  The rest become kittens.

I have not found this to be the case. Distance kids are in a majority of cases cross country athletes. A feed the cats program has little bearing on them outside of prioritizing recovery. They have no interest in sprints. "Mid-Distance" doesn't particularly exist. 400 and below are sprints, 800 and above are distance events. Individualizing training as much as possible so each athlete gets what they need is not a bad thing. Kid's are never discouraged from doing any event they please. But the archetypes all fall into place. 

Edited by CoachVeatch
2 hours ago, temptation said:

If enough "cats" hit the standard then I believe you are allowed more than 2. I vaguely remember seeing dominant teams with 3 or even 4 athletes in certain events. Let's say you have 3 athletes who have ran 10.8 in the 100m. I believe all 3 would be allowed to participate in the tourney. May sound crazy yet sometimes its the football team that needs to poach sprinters..Eskridge from Bluffton is a good example of that.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Justasportsfan said:

If enough "cats" hit the standard then I believe you are allowed more than 2. I vaguely remember seeing dominant teams with 3 or even 4 athletes in certain events. Let's say you have 3 athletes who have ran 10.8 in the 100m. I believe all 3 would be allowed to participate in the tourney. May sound crazy yet sometimes its the football team that needs to poach sprinters..Eskridge from Bluffton is a good example of that.

Rarely happens.  6A schools don’t need 40 “cats.”

10.8 is a ridiculous standard to use to prove your point.  Even the best 6A schools “may have” 1 sub 11 guy, a couple of sub 11.3 and then a half dozen between 11.3-11.6.

The state standards are determined by averaging the 9th place finisher’s time over the last three years.  It’s never been close to 10.8.

Back to the original topic however, both sports, when coached correctly can co-exist and reach high levels of success.

CG is doing it better than anyone right now.

Edited by temptation
3 minutes ago, temptation said:

Rarely happens.  6A schools don’t need 40 “cats.”

10.8 is a ridiculous standard to use to prove your point.  Even the best 6A schools “may have” 1 sub 11 guy, a couple of sub 11.3 and then a half dozen between 11.3-11.6.

The state standards are determined by averaging the 9th place finisher’s time over the last three years.  It’s never been close to 10.8.

Back to the original topic however, both sports, when coached correctly can co-exist and reach high levels of success.

CG is doing it better than anyone right now.

Yes ik how the standards are set..the standard this year is 10.9 I believe..I've seen 6a programs have 3 cats run in sectionals..not football programs which was mind boggling (LN..fw northrop)..the best programs may have track guys that don't play football is what I was getting at

1 minute ago, Justasportsfan said:

Yes ik how the standards are set..the standard this year is 10.9 I believe..I've seen 6a programs have 3 cats run in sectionals..not football programs which was mind boggling (LN..fw northrop)..the best programs may have track guys that don't play football is what I was getting at

Yeah, I get it.  It “has” happened but not regularly.

I’d also like to acknowledge that my POV was more from a track coach’s point of view.  You can usually run three sprinters in laned events in dual and tri meets and are limited to 2 in conference and tournament meets.

That's a lot of “cats” running in meaningless exhibition races.  Now, don’t get me wrong. It’s better than football players sitting on their asses in the spring but still a tough sell.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, temptation said:

I’d also like to acknowledge that my POV was more from a track coach’s point of view.  You can usually run three sprinters in laned events in dual and tri meets and are limited to 2 in conference and tournament meets.

That's a lot of “cats” running in meaningless exhibition races.  Now, don’t get me wrong. It’s better than football players sitting on their asses in the spring but still a tough sell.

Very true. I believe either Georgia or Florida recruited entire relay teams for football. Ik Miami did it back when they had sanctions..If a program has their top 6 sprinters playing football as well they usually are in contention for hardware during the fall. Y coaches wouldn't want their kids getting faster always behooves me..

5 minutes ago, temptation said:

Thanks for the perspective and those earlier in the thread for mentioning the consortium. 

I would point out that it takes 4 cats to run a 4x100. I would love to see Indiana add a 4x200 which is sanctioned by NFHS. We just don’t have the depth of sprinters as a state. 

• Like 2

I’ll also add that at many schools (my experience is at a 6A school) many football “cats” claim fast 40 times and then give track a try and realize they are outclassed.

That brings up one of my favorite annual debates:  football speed vs track speed.

DK Metcalf got baptized really fast.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I’ll also add that at many schools (my experience is at a 6A school) many football “cats” claim fast 40 times and then give track a try and realize they are outclassed.

That brings up one of my favorite annual debates:  football speed vs track speed.

Although he came in last...his time was surprisingly fast for his size..football speed<track speed however gr8 track athletes tend to dominate on the field...at times the difference in a 4.4 and 4.7 can win or lose a state title in football..

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Justasportsfan said:

Although he came in last...his time was surprisingly fast for his size..football speed<track speed however gr8 track athletes tend to dominate on the field...at times the difference in a 4.4 and 4.7 can win or lose a state title in football..

Correct, but the painted narrative by some media outlets was that he was “close” when in fact .4 tenths in a 100 meter race is an eternity.

In fact, his :10.36 ranks just outside of the top 100 in the US, not counting the 80+ NCAA D1 athletes who have equaled or bettered that time.

Edited by temptation

None of whom are in the NFL or equal his size..could be wrong..u know I never look up the numbers..wonder what a top 100 guy would look like on the field😯..seeing a bona-fide 4.2 at the hs level would be insane..

4 hours ago, temptation said:

Football speed and track speed are two completely different things.  Can track improve your football speed? Absolutely. But elite track is a whole other level of speed.

I’m ok with DK Metcalf being compared favorably even though the purist in me knows there are worlds of difference between 10.36 and 9.96. I just smile and nod.

Very similar to the abundance of hand timed events down here in Southern IN. Just smile and wait until the state tournament series. FAT don’t lie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 5/22/2021 at 4:39 PM, Grover said:

Watch James Schott in the high hurdles.  What an athlete.  When his body fills in he is going to be something else.  Not sure why IU & PU haven't offered.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1395519524691222538/pu/vid/1280x720/NxktkIB3crgHT_Vo.mp4?tag=12

He dominated at the Warren Central regional.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1398116816791158784/pu/vid/720x1280/8TY7xwNpwlZty_Y5.mp4?tag=12

South Bend Riley had a few football players perform well at the Regionals in Kokomo:

Freshman Safety/Fullback Robert Nabieu finished 6th in long jump with a jump of 20'4".

Junior Safety/Back James Boyd tied for 3rd in High Jump with a jump of 6'0".

Center Grove Football Players Results From Warren Central Regional

100 Meter Dash

===========================

3 RB Wheat, Brandon JR.  11.04

5 DB Coyle, Micah SO.  11.12

200 Meter Dash

1 RB Wheat, Brandon JR.  22.37 10

2 DB Coyle, Micah SO.  22.53 8

400 Meter Dash

2 SE Greller, Zach SO.  49.99

9 QB Jackson, Tayven JR.  52.55

110 Meter Hurdles

1 DE Schott, James JR.  15.15

3 DB Doyle, Parker SO.  15.73

300 Meter Hurdles

============================

1 SE Delp, Connor SR. 39.48

4x100 Meter Relay

1 Center Grove 42.08 STAN

1) SE Delp, Connor SR. 2) DB Coyle, Micah SO.

3) RB Wheat, Drew SO. 4)  RB Wheat, Brandon JR.

4x400 Meter Relay

1 Center Grove 3:25.58

1) SE Greller, Zach SO. 2) SE Delp, Connor SR.

3) QB Jackson, Tayven JR. 4) RB Wheat, Drew SO.

High Jump

4 LB Schott, Jackson SR.  6-04.00

Long Jump

1 LB Schott, Jackson SR.  22-05.00 S

4 SE Delp, Connor SR.  21-09.00

Shot Put

9 OL Lyon, John SO.  48-04

Team

1) Center Grove 142

2) Warren Central 96

3) Columbus North 63

• Like 1
6 hours ago, FarmerFran said:

Pioneer’s Ezra and Addai Lewellen each advanced to state in 3 events. 

Ezra in the 100, 110 hurdles and the 400

Addai in the 100, 300 hurdles and the long jump

This is bad ass...track is a non classed sport.

In all honesty, I may be MOST impressed with South Adams qualifying in the 4x400 meter relay.  Solid individuals at the small school level is common but scratching 4 guys together at a 1A school to run 3:26?  Damn.

• Like 3

CG LB Jackson Schott is the only one who qualifed for the state finals in both long jump (8) and high jump (13). Miami (OH) is getting one talented football player.

3 minutes ago, Jon said:

CG LB Jackson Schott is the only one who qualifed for the state finals in both long jump (8) and high jump (13). Miami (OH) is getting one talented football player.

The Schott boys are ATHLETES and great kids.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Grover said:

The Schott boys are ATHLETES and great kids.  

There is a Tyler Schott on CG Fr. Football roster. Do you know if he is there brother or related?