Football players participating in track and field

12 hours ago, FarmerFran said:

Pioneer’s Ezra and Addai Lewellen each advanced to state in 3 events. 

Ezra in the 100, 110 hurdles and the 400

Addai in the 100, 300 hurdles and the long jump

The 100 n 110 hurdles are back to back in order of events..the other places in the 300 hurdles..incredible..

• Like 1
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ezra just won the 100m dash in 10.67  

Here is a list of 247 Indiana top 50 for the class of 2021 and 2022 that made finals. 2021 25 Tyren Mason WR 3 star Elkhart Memorial 4x100 26 Devin Mockobee. 3 star Booneville Longjump

It is becoming quite clear that young athletes who specialize in a single sport at a young age are much more susceptible to injury than those who participate in multiple sports. Check out this excerpt

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, temptation said:

This is bad ass...track is a non classed sport.

In all honesty, I may be MOST impressed with South Adams qualifying in the 4x400 meter relay.  Solid individuals at the small school level is common but scratching 4 guys together at a 1A school to run 3:26?  Damn.

I noted the same thing Thursday at the Evansville regional. Not surprisingly New Albany, Floyd Central, Castle, and Evansville Harrison dominated the relay events.

Which made 356 student Borden HS ability to find 4 guys to advance to state in the 4x800 the most impressive performance to me. 

Edited by oldtimeqb
  • Like 1

Not wanting to discredit anyone but here is a look at what I would consider “star” football players with a shot to medal (top 9) next weekend.

Devin Mockobee of Boonville is seeded 1st in the long jump and 5th in the 110 hurdles.

Wenkers Wright of Floyd Central is seeded 8th in the 110 hurdles.

Thomas Hogan of Lafayette Jefferson is seeded 2nd in the 200 meter dash.

Center Grove (mentioned above) has a 4x100 stacked with football players and is seeded 2nd.

Connor Delp of Center Grove is seeded 7th in the 300 hurdles.

I am sure I missed a few but these were just guys who  jumped off the page from this fall in terms of name recognition.

A lot of football players play BB and also Baseball. I would think it would be low percentage of a football player only playing one sport (football) during the school year.

I’d also like to point out that both Noblesville and Lake Central have been bashed in other threads on here but both have elite speedsters in track and field.

Does not look like either play football however....

I think that is telling.

11 hours ago, temptation said:

I’d also like to point out that both Noblesville and Lake Central have been bashed in other threads on here but both have elite speedsters in track and field.

Does not look like either play football however....

I think that is telling.

Agree..how a few powerhouses are missing tells the tale as well.. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Justasportsfan said:

Agree..how a few powerhouses are missing tells the tale as well.. 

What tale you talking about?

11 minutes ago, psaboy said:

What tale you talking about?

The usual contenders that once dominated the gridiron were always contenders for some sort of T&F championship. Center Grove, carmel, and cathedral all have representatives and will be the favorites for next year..usually the finals have a few more mic contenders..not saying those 3 schools will win but their future looks bright..btw Snider has a relay team that could score if they get their handoffs down😁

• Thanks 1

Track transfers over to the gridiron so well, it's a no brainer for football players to participate in track in the Spring. College coaches say all the time how they want multi-sport athletes. Track will train the athlete's speed and power, assuming they don't get thrown in distance events and stick to sprints.jumps/throws. The key at the HS level is coaching and unfortunately not every school has access to quality coaching. A good track program can be a good football program's favorite cousin!

• Like 1

Here is a list of 247 Indiana top 50 for the class of 2021 and 2022 that made finals.

25 Tyren Mason WR 3 star Elkhart Memorial 4x100

26 Devin Mockobee. 3 star Booneville Longjump 1, 110 hurdles 5

41 Wenkers Wright 2 star RB Floyd Central 4x100

42 Colton Parker Wr 2 star Carmel 300 hurdles 3, 4x100 1

43 Jackson Schott LB 2 star Center Grove High jump 13 , long jump 8

4 Joey Tanona OT 4 star ZionsvilleShot put  12

7 Tayven Jackson QB 4 starC CenterGrove 4x400 8

13 Kenneth Grant DL 3 star Merrillville Shot put 5

19 James Schott DE 3 star Center Grove 110 hurdles 17

46 Reece Lozano QB 2 star Bloomington North 4x100 2

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A good reason for a track athlete not to play football?:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2021/06/02/indiana-high-school-track-state-shot-put-tucker-smith-columbus/5019032001/

(Note, story is behind a paywall)

Tucker Smith’s life revolves around a 12-pound iron ball.

Smith, 17, a junior at Columbus North High School, has been a shot putter since age 8. Throwing the shot influences how he eats, how he sleeps, how he trains, what he watches.

He reels off names of 20th-century European shot putters as easily as peers can recite pop artists or TikTok celebrities.

It is not a question of whether Smith will become the first 70-foot shot putter in Indiana high school history, but how soon. Could be Friday’s state meet at Ben Davis. Could be July 31 at Jacksonville, Fla., in the Junior Olympics, in which he is already a three-time national champion.

He set a state record of 69 feet, 4 ½ inches April 30, then backed that up with 68-5 ½ at his sectional May 20. Smith ranks No. 2 in the nation behind a 71-1 by Bryce Foster, a 330-pound football player from Katy, Texas.

Smith, 6-4 and 260 pounds, is as devoted to powerlifting as he is to throwing. Yet his purpose is to add feet to his throws, not pounds to a barbell.

Behind a serious exterior, Smith has a quirky sense of humor. For instance:

>> On why he does not play football: “I really like my knees.”

• Haha 1
  • Disdain 1
15 hours ago, Muda69 said:

A good reason for a track athlete not to play football?:  https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2021/06/02/indiana-high-school-track-state-shot-put-tucker-smith-columbus/5019032001/

(Note, story is behind a paywall)

As a collegiate throws coach, I am perfectly fine with him not wanting to test the gridiron. Makes my job significantly easier! Lol Can't count how many times I've lost out on great throwers because their hearts are in football, and rightly so. There's a reason it's the greatest game ever invented!

• Like 1
On 5/28/2021 at 10:42 PM, Justasportsfan said:

The 100 n 110 hurdles are back to back in order of events..the other places in the 300 hurdles..incredible..

• Like 4

Devin Mockobee of Boonville won the Long Jump with 23' 3.75"

Also finished 2nd in the 110 Hurdles.  Heck of a performance.

Quick complaint- when will Indiana care about track enough to set up the 100 M and 110H so that they can be run downwind?  The 100M trials ran into headwinds varying between -0.2 and -2.3 between the 3 heats.  That can be a factor in a race decided by 100ths of a second. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Justasportsfan said:

Super close race with the Michigan City kid, congrats to Ezra! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Devin Mockobee of Boonville won the Long Jump with 23' 3.75"

Also finished 2nd in the 110 Hurdles.  Heck of a performance.

Quick complaint- when will Indiana care about track enough to set up the 100 M and 110H so that they can be run downwind?  The 100M trials ran into headwinds varying between -0.2 and -2.3 between the 3 heats.  That can be a factor in a race decided by 100ths of a second. 

Could depend on facilities available...kid ran a 10.25 yet due to downwind the 10.31 mark still stands.

9 hours ago, Justasportsfan said:

He also finished 4th in the 400 and 15th in the 110 hurdles. 

• Like 1

Now that track season is over how 'bout football players playing baseball?  CG's roster has a few of them including Caden Curry who hit a bases loaded triple today to defeat top ranked Columbus North in the Jasper Regionals.  Our centerfielder is Mitchell Evans who was our starting safety in the fall.  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Grover said:

Now that track season is over how 'bout football players playing baseball?  CG's roster has a few of them including Caden Curry who hit a bases loaded triple today to defeat top ranked Columbus North in the Jasper Regionals.  Our centerfielder is Mitchell Evans who was our starting safety in the fall.  

Wow, That’s a big presence in that batters box!! What position does Curry play in baseball?

13 hours ago, Grover said:

I’ll say it again:  CG gets it.  No coincidence they are a threat in multiple sports.

State finals team results. (football players only)

1st Center Grove FB = 38 pts, All = 38, 6 players

2nd Carmel FB = 30.7, All = 68, 3 players

3rd Booneville FB = 18, All = 18, 1 player

4th Pioneer FB = 16, All = 16, 1 player

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2021 at 10:53 AM, temptation said:

It doesn't have to be one or the other.  You can avoid "running guys into the ground" without adopting the Feed the Cats philosophy.

The problem with Feed the Cats is that it discourages sprinters from trying middle distance/jumping events.  They look across the track as they are busting their asses and see the "cats" cooling down and being released to go home 45 minutes into practice.  Then THEY too want to become "cats."

Problem is once the track and field state tournament starts you are only allows two "cats" per event.  The rest become kittens.

If you have another program that doesn't run players into the ground, but makes them stay at practice longer than 45 minutes, I guess that could work. Not sure why a sprinter would be discouraged from long or high jumping. Cats want to compete. The extra practice time would be on technique which fits into the philosophy and shouldn't wear them out or discourage them. As far as numbers, you don't have to put the same 2 runners in the 100, 200, 400, both hurdles and there's also relays. Not many positions on a football team for competitive distance runners.

On 5/25/2021 at 10:29 AM, CoachVeatch said:

Feed the cats is a great philosophy and one that has personally helped me distinguish the difference between sprinting and running to those athletes. It amplifies the value of speed development for those who think track and cross country are the same, and shows the variety track has to offer to all. You CAN teach speed.

Some programs still have success and get away with making football players run for distance. It's difficult to find the practices that contribute to winning. Most programs have adequate weight programs. Speed development is a great differentiator at this point. Nutrition is next.