Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cody French Hired at Calumet

After taking a head coaching position at Niles High School earlier this spring, Elkhart assistant, Cody French, is the new HC at Calumet.  Best of luck to him and his staff!

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/cody-french-tabbed-as-next-calumet-coach/article_01a22ded-718a-52e2-8bb0-9c7020a4eca3.html#tncms-source=login

• Like 1

Is this a normal practice, to accept a new head coaching job but keep/send applications out for a better gig? Calumet got a very good coach, and I suppose you have to do what you have to do from a personal standpoint.  I just feel for the kids in the Niles program who haven't had much success lately, get a coach in talking up a plan/vision, and then having him leave them high and dry 2 months before the season.

1 hour ago, SBFootball1 said:

Is this a normal practice, to accept a new head coaching job but keep/send applications out for a better gig? Calumet got a very good coach, and I suppose you have to do what you have to do from a personal standpoint.  I just feel for the kids in the Niles program who haven't had much success lately, get a coach in talking up a plan/vision, and then having him leave them high and dry 2 months before the season.

Normal practice - I don't think so - but... greener pastures and whatnot.  One could speculate that perhaps he arrived and realized what he was up against.  Could be that it just wasn't a good fit for his family.  Could be... the list goes on and on.  We'll focus on the positive that is bringing a young, promising coach into Da Region. I remember a somewhat similar hire/resign that occurred at Valpo not too long ago, and that seemed to work out for them.

1 hour ago, SBFootball1 said:

There is alot of nuances that go into hiring of positions.   On the surface, it seems like he has left Niles on bad terms, but I am privy to the process on this particular situation, and that was not the case.   Timing sometimes doesn't work out as it should, in this case Coach French had to wait longer than expected to secure the job he wanted all along, but I could go into deeper details on why that was the case, but will just leave it as Calumet got a very young enthusastic coach who will fit well into their school community 

2 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

I’m not privy to teaching/coaching employment but is it contract or at will employment? If contract did he have to possibly pay the previous school?

Teaching/coaching contracts aren't typically signed until the beginning of the school year, so it is unlikely anything other than board approval had taken place. I would doubt he will owe anything to Niles as a result. 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 5:42 PM, boilerfan87 said:

Teaching/coaching contracts aren't typically signed until the beginning of the school year, so it is unlikely anything other than board approval had taken place. I would doubt he will owe anything to Niles as a result. 

In Nevada, we have a one-month opt-out window before school starts where we can quit without penalty, although CCSD's union negotiated a right-to-resign without penalty.