Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Greenwood Christian Considering FB

25 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

Looked up their enrollment using the basketball data on the IHSAA website.  144

That is a really small number for a football team.

(Covenant Christian was 365 as a reference.)

Agree.  Sounds like a non factor.

Football at this level does not interest me.  Id rather watch a good bantam level game betrween Center Grove and Avon.

GCA is in a pretty good location to attract student-athletes, if they so choose to create a football program. Also, there's no Private Schools w/a football program in Johnson County (Roncalli is the closest) so maybe their enrollment could gradually improve? 

2 hours ago, DT said:

Agree.  Sounds like a non factor.

Football at this level does not interest me.  Id rather watch a good bantam level game betrween Center Grove and Avon.

Yet you are a Bears fan...😉

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Help me understand the correlation

Football is all about precision, timing and execution.  I lose interest when it starts looking like a game of tag on a grade school playground.  Thats why Im for either contraction or conversion to club sport when numbers fall to a level where reasonable levels of execution are unatainable.

1 minute ago, DE said:

You insinuated you are not interested in watching that "caliber" of team....😊

What is the correlation between watching the Bears and watching Greenwood Christian?

21 minutes ago, DT said:

What is the correlation between watching the Bears and watching Greenwood Christian?

Never mind.  🙂

Maybe it made sense to me.  I might've been in the sun too long today.  😂

3 hours ago, fenderbender said:

Looked up their enrollment using the basketball data on the IHSAA website.  144

That is a really small number for a football team.

(Covenant Christian was 365 as a reference.)

TPA has less than that; they were around 128 last classification.  Prior to last season ... they had to bow out due to COVID ... they'd been to a pair of sectional championships back-to-back and were heading to their third.  They also beat Covenant Christian back in 2019.

CGA has a pretty good basketball team if I can recall. If they do go the football route they will have no problem attracting student-athletes from Johnson Country and the southside of Indy. 

DT says he doesn't care about this level of football, but it didn't stop him from starting a thread at the end of last year going all-in on Covenant Christian which CGA could easily become. This will be interesting to watch going forward.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

CGA has a pretty good basketball team if I can recall. If they do go the football route they will have no problem attracting student-athletes from Johnson Country and the southside of Indy. 

DT says he doesn't care about this level of football, but it didn't stop him from starting a thread at the end of last year going all-in on Covenant Christian which CGA could easily become. This will be interesting to watch going forward.

I'm not familiar with that part of Indy or Johnson County, so I'm just asking ... nothing implied here.  Is there a pent-up demand for a private school environment that has an athletic bent in that part of the city? 

The reason that I'm asking is that Lafayette-West Lafayette has some private school options available, but only one, so far, LCC, has been competitive or viable enough to get to the high school level with IHSAA for football.  Faith Christian just announced about 5-6 years ago that they would be competing in IHSAA, but they don't compete in football ... just baseball, soccer, basketball, volleyball, etc.  They have an enrollment of around 220 and have a K-8 school as well as the high school.  I think they purposely decided not to field a football team.  St. James Lutheran has K-8, but no high school.  Lafayette Christian also has K-8, but no direct-from-LCS high school.  A couple of other Christian Elementary schools in the area have folded in the past decade or so.  Faith's been around since 1997 and LCC's been around since 1956.  The vast majority of kids who attend Faith, if not all, are non-Catholic, and the vast majority of kids that attend LCC are Catholic kids that came up through the Catholic elementaries ... kind of like you see with the Indy diocesan schools.  In both Faith and LCC, there's been more of a community of students as opposed to the high school being an option for the community as a whole.  Is there an elementary school or set of schools that feed into Greenwood Christian or is it more of an option for the community?

3 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

I wouldnt exactly say that my Covenent piece was a glowing endorsement of the program.  But go ahead and call me out at your leisure.  You seem obsessed with every opinion Ive got.  

34 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I'm not familiar with that part of Indy or Johnson County, so I'm just asking ... nothing implied here.  Is there a pent-up demand for a private school environment that has an athletic bent in that part of the city? 

The reason that I'm asking is that Lafayette-West Lafayette has some private school options available, but only one, so far, LCC, has been competitive or viable enough to get to the high school level with IHSAA for football.  Faith Christian just announced about 5-6 years ago that they would be competing in IHSAA, but they don't compete in football ... just baseball, soccer, basketball, volleyball, etc.  They have an enrollment of around 220 and have a K-8 school as well as the high school.  I think they purposely decided not to field a football team.  St. James Lutheran has K-8, but no high school.  Lafayette Christian also has K-8, but no direct-from-LCS high school.  A couple of other Christian Elementary schools in the area have folded in the past decade or so.  Faith's been around since 1997 and LCC's been around since 1956.  The vast majority of kids who attend Faith, if not all, are non-Catholic, and the vast majority of kids that attend LCC are Catholic kids that came up through the Catholic elementaries ... kind of like you see with the Indy diocesan schools.  In both Faith and LCC, there's been more of a community of students as opposed to the high school being an option for the community as a whole.  Is there an elementary school or set of schools that feed into Greenwood Christian or is it more of an option for the community?

The answer to your question is a resounding YES.  That area outside of the Fishers-HSE area in Hamilton Cty has been the fastest growing location in the Indy area over the past 10 years.  Center Grove, Greenwood, Whiteland, Franklin are all big schools that would lose students to a strong PP.  I would think a 2A would slot into their nicely.  

5 minutes ago, DT said:

I wouldnt exactly say that my Covenent piece was a glowing endorsement of the program.  But go ahead and call me out at your leisure.  You seem obsessed with every opinion Ive got.  

I never said you endorsed the CC program. You said you didn’t “care” about football at that level. Clearly you do.

7 hours ago, boilerfan87 said:

Perhaps they see it as an chance to provide more opportunities for their students and potentially increase enrollment as a result. The more schools that can offer football, the better. I hope it works out for them.

I disagree.  That kind of philosophy just waters down the product and results in a net reduction in competitive balance and the overall quality and level of play.  

"Lets scrape together 15 kids who have never worn pads until high school and tell the world we have a varsity football team."

Foolish

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I never said you endorsed the CC program. You said you didn’t “care” about football at that level. Clearly you do.

I cared enough to write a hit piece on how the program was put together.  LOL

3 minutes ago, DT said:

I disagree.  That kind of philosophy just waters down the product and results in a net reduction in competitive balance and the overall quality and level of play.  

"Lets scrape together 15 kids who have never worn pads until high school and tell the world we have a varsity football team."

Foolish

I cared enough to write a hit piece on how the program was put together.  LOL

And GCA’s will likely follow in similar fashion.

5 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

And GCA’s will likely follow in similar fashion.

Id much rather see an Indy Diocesen 2A PP down there that would actually put a competitive and entertaining product on the football field every Friday night.  Those folks down there love their football more than any other part of the Indy Metro.

Edited by DT

1 hour ago, DT said:

Foolish

Was Covenant Christian foolish? They started in 2014. Went 2-5 in 2015. They went 15-0 and won the 1a state title just 5 years later. I don't expect you to agree and I understand the risk of failure exists, but if they have the desire and the funds to give it a shot, there is no reason they shouldn't.