Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Officials.....what changes would you like to see?

US31

Question

Just curious what tweeks, changes the actual officials think would improve IHSAA football?  This can be rule changes, enforcement changes, etc....really, anything that has to do with your job description between the start and end of the game?

Edited by US31

2 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, US31 said:

Just curious what tweeks, changes the actual officials think would improve IHSAA football?  This can be rule changes, enforcement changes, etc....really, anything that has to do with your job description between the start and end of the game?

That’s an easy one. Reform of the process by which officials are selected for, and advanced through, the playoffs. Dilute the coaches’ vote so that it counts for no more than 10% of the total. Make the primary determinant of selection and advancement evaluations by trained observers utilizing well thought out and clearly published standards. You will see an immediate and dramatic improvement in overall officiating, both in the quality of the product, and the number of officials participating. Dissatisfaction with the current process is a significant factor in the retention of officials. Please note the disclaimer below.

Most of what affects officials between the start and end of the game are the rules and those are mostly dictated by the NFHS and not IHSAA. A couple areas where the IHSAA can differ is the mercy rule and OT rules. Those are largely left up to the states to implement. I like the mercy rule the IHSAA put in a couple years ago. It seems to be working fine. OT doesn't happen often and in general the version the IHSAA uses seems to be fine. They use the recommended NFHS procedures outlined in the rule book. Some states start at the 25 rather than the 10.

One thing I would like to see are more standard philosophies stated by the IHSAA. There are many gray areas in the rules that can be standardized more by the IHSAA. For example, intentional grounding. The rule clearly states that if a passer is intentionally throwing the pass incomplete it's a foul. Throwing the ball at the feet of the running back is obviously done to save time or yardage or both. But most referees won't flag that. Same with throwing the ball well out of bounds 10 feet of the head of an eligible receiver. That is less consistent. Some pass on it because it was in the direction of a receiver. Some flag it because it landed on the track. What philosophy does the IHSAA want us to follow? They should provide that and then evaluate crews based on how they follow it (per bobref's comments above). That kind of inconsistency drives coaches nuts when it's easy to provide an interpretation or philosophy. The IHSAA just says "what does the rule book say?"

I understand the IHSAA (through the observer program) is working on some standard mechanics and philosophies. I hope this helps. The IFOA has attempted to do this, but they have no authority over the crews and only 10-15% of the licensed officials attend their clinic every year. Many of the very good crews in the state through apply what they've learned from the IFOA.

One thing I think the schools could provide is better security for the officials going to and from the locker room during the game. Many provide someone to walk with the crew so there is at least a presence. Often times though we are walking through crowds on our own. I love the schools where the locker room is under the bleachers or an end zone building where fans are not allowed. I've never been really threatened by a fan walking through the crowd, but you never know. It only takes one crazy fan.

• Like 1