Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral DL Kendrick Gilbert offered by Notre Dame

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Cathedral doesn't have "feeder" schools or a district like Dwenger. It's not a Diocesan school. I'm not sure the point you're trying to make?

There isn't a Catholic elementary and middle school that feeds into it? 

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, just trying to figure out how a program (Center Grove and Cathedral) produces 10+ Division 1 football players. Certainly they don't breed better athletes in those neighborhoods than they do in other parts of the state. 

13 minutes ago, BTF said:

There isn't a Catholic elementary and middle school that feeds into it? 

The Catholic schools in Indianapolis are deanery schools. They feed into the diocesan high schools of Indianapolis (Chatard, Roncalli, Scecina, Ritter). Cathedral is NOT a diocesan high school, it's a privately run high school. Yes, deanery students attend Cathedral as they do Brebeuf (which also isn't a diocesan high school) but Cathedral nor Brebeuf have direct or inherent feeder schools. It's why they have to take kids from all over the city, catholic or not, to keep their doors open.

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

The Catholic schools in Indianapolis are deanery schools. They feed into the diocesan high schools of Indianapolis (Chatard, Roncalli, Scecina, Ritter). Cathedral is NOT a diocesan high school, it's a privately run high school. Yes, deanery students attend Cathedral as they do Brebeuf (which also isn't a diocesan high school) but Cathedral nor Brebeuf have direct or inherent feeder schools. It's why they have to take kids from all over the city, catholic or not, to keep their doors open.

Didn't realize that............thanks. 

14 minutes ago, BTF said:

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, just trying to figure out how a program (Center Grove and Cathedral) produces 10+ Division 1 football players. Certainly they don't breed better athletes in those neighborhoods than they do in other parts of the state. 

10 is an anomaly year. It's been stated that Cathedral's 2022 class is a generational class and I doubt when the dust settles Cathedral sends 10+ kids to D1 ranks from the 2022 class. Cathedral typically sends 1-2 kids a class to a D1 football school. It's really not that much different from Dwenger (a similar-sized school) once you really look at it. Cathedral's 2021 class that had arguably the best year in school history didn't send a single player to a D1 school. 

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

10 is an anomaly year. It's been stated that Cathedral's 2022 class is a generational class and I doubt when the dust settles Cathedral sends 10+ kids to D1 ranks from the 2022 class. Cathedral typically sends 1-2 kids a class to a D1 football school. It's really not that much different from Dwenger (a similar-sized school) once you really look at it. Cathedral's 2021 class that had arguably the best year in school history didn't send a single player to a D1 school. 

I'm not doubting that, it just seems like Cathedral is some how different now (last several years) than they were in the past (the preceding five decades). 

14 minutes ago, BTF said:

I'm not doubting that, it just seems like Cathedral is some how different now (last several years) than they were in the past (the preceding five decades). 

Last several years? Excluding last year Cathedral went

2019: 9-3 lost in regionals

2018: 6-6 lost in sectionals

2017: 7-6 lost in Semi-state

2016: 7-5 lost in regionals

2015: 8-4 lost in regionals

I'm sure the pity party for Cathedral was real on here during that stretch. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Last several years? Excluding last year Cathedral went

2019: 9-3 lost in regionals

2018: 6-6 lost in sectionals

2017: 7-6 lost in Semi-state

2016: 7-5 lost in regionals

2015: 8-4 lost in regionals

I'm sure the pity party for Cathedral was real on here during that stretch. 

I normally fact check before I post. I concede to "last several years." 

40 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

A regular/post season record of 149-56 over the past 15 seasons, including 8 state titles.  If that isn't a "consistent level of success" I don't know what is.................

Ohio football a different breed than Indiana. Louisville Trinity has 27 state championships. If Cathedral played in 6A they'd just be another really good football program. Nowhere near the IMG moniker you so liberally throw out. 

Edited by Footballking16

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Last year’s Cathedral team was made up mostly of 2022 players. Only 3 main players were from class of 21(Langdon, McCahill, Jordon). Langdon is playing D1. Jordon could have played D1 but chose to play D1 baseball. This year, I see 6 maybe 7 2022 going D1 (FBS and FCS) and 3 from 2023. 

6 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Ohio football a different breed than Indiana. Louisville Trinity has 27 state championships. If Cathedral played in 6A they'd just be another really good football program. Nowhere near the IMG moniker you so liberally throw out. 

Not liberally thrown out.   Cathedral is the football IMG of the Midwest.   Embrace the greatness!

14 minutes ago, FootballQB1 said:

Last year’s Cathedral team was made up mostly of 2022 players. Only 3 main players were from class of 21(Langdon, McCahill, Jordon). Langdon is playing D1. Jordon could have played D1 but chose to play D1 baseball. This year, I see 6 maybe 7 2022 going D1 (FBS and FCS) and 3 from 2023. 

I was talking FBS Scholarship players. Langdon is playing at Columbia in FCS. Still a very commendable feat, but Cathedral isn't sending 10+ players a year to D1 schools which is what I was responding too. 

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

I was talking FBS Scholarship players. Langdon is playing at Columbia in FCS. Still a very commendable feat, but Cathedral isn't sending 10+ players a year to D1 schools which is what I was responding too. 

FCS is still D1. If only FBS, I think 3 from 2022 and 3 from 2023

14 minutes ago, FootballQB1 said:

FCS is still D1. If only FBS, I think 3 from 2022 and 3 from 2023

Right, I should have prefaced it better.

Cathedral is being compared (somehow) to IMG here. There is a litany of high schools in the state of Indiana, let alone the Midwest, that send multiple kids a year to FBS schools. It's an accomplishment but not some kind of earth shattering revelation. 

Just now, Grover said:

Classic muda response. How about you just congratulate the teenager on an offer of a lifetime?

I am.  If it wasn't for him choosing to attend the IMG football academy of the Midwest he may never have received "an offer of a lifetime."  I hope you Mr. Gilbert takes full advantage of the opportunity instead of pissing it away like many OMG! Athletes do...................

5 hours ago, BTF said:

CG’s Power 5 players have been relatively few for a team that competes for the 6A championship regularly. We are currently in a freakish stretch of our kids who are getting offers from Power 5s including two kids who can play pretty much anywhere they want. Recruiters will be swarming CG’s field like flies to muda. That’s why there is a desire for some to move in. 

13 minutes ago, Grover said:

Recruiters will be swarming CG’s field like flies to muda. That’s why there is a desire for some to move in. 

So they don't move to the CG geographical district for the superior classroom education, but the superior football education and exposure.  Got it.

10 hours ago, BTF said:

This topic makes me appreciate schools like Bishop Dwenger who predominantly work within their Catholic pipeline. I do credit Cathedral for going out and scheduling the best football programs they can find, but they should be battle testing themselves for the 6A tournament annually. What is the point of playing 5a ball other than stocking their trophy case? Having lots of trophies is fun, but the 6A champion will always be acknowledged as the best team in Indiana. 

I agree with 6A, and the success factor will but us there after next season where personally I hope we stay.  

7 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Exceptionally well said.