Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Saban Extends to 2028 - Can anyone catch The Tide?

Guest DT

15 minutes ago, DE said:

Well said.

My question is, what is keeping Notre Dame from getting the same players as Bama, Clemson, and O$U?

Notre Dame fans will tell you admission standards and to a degree they are correct as Notre Dame doesn't have the "win at all cost mentality", but honestly not sure at this point what can be done to bridge the gap. Bobref may be on to something about NIL creating more parity but even then have doubts as to what lengths Notre Dame will go to to once again become a title contender. 

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

Notre Dame fans will tell you admission standards and to a degree they are correct as Notre Dame doesn't have the "win at all cost mentality", but honestly not sure at this point what can be done to bridge the gap. Bobref may be on to something about NIL creating more parity but even then have doubts as to what lengths Notre Dame will go to to once again become a title contender. 

If not just that (^^^), then what else?

16 minutes ago, DE said:

If not just that (^^^), then what else?

That's the $10mil dollar question. IF I, or anyone else knew, Notre Dame would be there. I don't believe its coaching as Brian Kelly has done about as well as he can do. But there is a noticeable difference when ND takes the field against a Clemson or an Alabama. 

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

That's the $10mil dollar question. IF I, or anyone else knew, Notre Dame would be there. I don't believe its coaching as Brian Kelly has done about as well as he can do. But there is a noticeable difference when ND takes the field against a Clemson or an Alabama. 

I mentioned this before, though do not remember which thread....

Has Bama, Clemson and O$U taken "The U" (Howard Scnellenberger/Jimmy Johnson teams) recruiting method to an entirely different level?

15 minutes ago, DE said:

I mentioned this before, though do not remember which thread....

Has Bama, Clemson and O$U taken "The U" (Howard Scnellenberger/Jimmy Johnson teams) recruiting method to an entirely different level?

I think it's fair to say those 3 schools have a monopoly and their pick of the litter for the best yearly talent.

I remember watching a Bama game on CBS a few years back.

I believe the Bama RB was Josh Jacobs, but I could be wrong.

The announcers mentioned that the RB only had 1 other offer besides Bama.  That was very suspicious to me.  

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I think it's fair to say those 3 schools have a monopoly and their pick of the litter for the best yearly talent.

Agreed, but WHY?  What are they offering/doing/etc. to get the players?

O$U and ND...same climate.

Both recruit nationally.

Both have clear paths to playoffs.

IMHO, the ND standards are the only thing holding the Irish back, and I am 100% OK with that!

***Clemson and Bama are THE teams (of any sports) in their states!  ZERO competition.

30 minutes ago, DE said:

Agreed, but WHY?  What are they offering/doing/etc. to get the players?

O$U and ND...same climate.

Both recruit nationally.

Both have clear paths to playoffs.

IMHO, the ND standards are the only thing holding the Irish back, and I am 100% OK with that!

***Clemson and Bama are THE teams (of any sports) in their states!  ZERO competition.

If you want me to say OSU pays their players, I won't because I cannot verify or confirm that.

I will say that OSU's success at the national level speaks for itself and is their greatest recruiting tool. That and the shear number of players they put into the NFL. They have a huge advantage over Notre Dame in that regard.

Clemson recruits very well regionally (Georgia/SC/NC) and has started recruiting at an elite level nationally.  Auburn pulls in some very good talent and we would be the best teams in a lot of states if they weren't located in Alabama. 

Edited by Footballking16

Just now, Footballking16 said:

If you want me to say OSU pays their players, I won't because I cannot verify or confirm that.

I will say that OSU's success at the national level speaks for itself and is their greatest recruiting tool. That and the shear number of players they put into the NFL. They have a huge advantage of Notre Dame in that regard.

Clemson recruits very well regionally (Georgia/SC/NC) and has started recruiting at an elite level nationally.  Auburn pulls in some very good talent and we would be the best teams in a lot of states if they weren't located in Alabama. 

Don't think anyone can.

3 hours ago, DE said:

Well said.

My question is, what is keeping Notre Dame from getting the same players as Bama, Clemson, and O$U?

I always thought it was academics. But Marcus Freeman seems to have gotten over that hurdle............so far. Notre Dame's class of 2022, ranked #2 at the moment, is expected to land in the Top 5 when it's all said and done.

10 hours ago, temptation said:

Don’t confuse excitement with reality.  Until the gap closes ON THE FiELD, no one nationally will view ND as a legitimate threat.

Being fair to the Irish, this is also true for 126 other football programs.

I agree. DT asked a question and I answered it based on what I believe to be true moving forward. But you're right, we need to see results on the field. 

3 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Well of course, but I'm not a fan of Notre Dame so don't really care either way. But what I've seen from Notre Dame the last two decades in big time games against the country's best in no way resembles a program that is on the verge of breaking through. As I said, a few 4 or 5* athletes doesn't change that. Notre Dame has been physically outclassed by the Clemson's, the Alabama's, and the Ohio State's of the world for the last several years. 

How can you be a Cathedral fan but not Notre Dame? I'm getting a headache trying to figure that one out. 

3 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

It's already been done. The hiring of Marcus Freeman. It's the recruiting services who are making a big deal about it. I didn't just pull it out of my a@#.

On 7/5/2021 at 8:47 PM, temptation said:

I always keep receipts.

2019:  Noblesville/Homestead (FB)  1-0

2020:  Carmel/Homestead (BB)  2-0

2021:  IU under 6.5 

2025:  ND is on par and competing regularly with Bama

You might wanna consider making this a best of 9 series.

You're good. How did you know half of Homestead's team would take a nap on their way down I69? I mean, since you predicted that, please inform me when the real estate market is going to peak. 

You and I seriously need to bet something on IU. I've got the Hoosiers winning 7+. 

42 minutes ago, BTF said:

I agree. DT asked a question and I answered it based on what I believe to be true moving forward. But you're right, we need to see results on the field. 

How can you be a Cathedral fan but not Notre Dame? I'm getting a headache trying to figure that one out. 

Because I have zero affiliation with Notre Dame or South Bend and grew up an Indiana fan while also attending Indiana University.

38 minutes ago, BTF said:

It's already been done. The hiring of Marcus Freeman. It's the recruiting services who are making a big deal about it. I didn't just pull it out of my a@#.

It's not already been done lol. Until Notre Dame can prove ON the field they belong, they will always be second tier to Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson. Look at the outcomes of the games against these three schools when Notre Dame has played them the last 10-15 years. It's boys against men. A few 4 and 5* athletes doesn't change that. 

58 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

It's not already been done lol. Until Notre Dame can prove ON the field they belong, they will always be second tier to Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson. Look at the outcomes of the games against these three schools when Notre Dame has played them the last 10-15 years. It's boys against men. A few 4 and 5* athletes doesn't change that. 

Notre Dame cannot catch Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State in the recruiting derby. It’s simply not possible. Those schools recruit from a far larger pool of potential athletes than Notre Dame does. In any given year, if you look at the ESPN 100, ND cannot even talk to at least half of them. The best the Irish can hope for is to consistently be a player in the 12 team playoff, and every once in a while, if they can combine elite QB play with a relatively injury free season, get a shot at the big prize.

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Disagree

26 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Notre Dame cannot catch Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State in the recruiting derby. It’s simply not possible. Those schools recruit from a far larger pool of potential athletes than Notre Dame does. In any given year, if you look at the ESPN 100, ND cannot even talk to at least half of them. The best the Irish can hope for is to consistently be a player in the 12 team playoff, and every once in a while, if they can combine elite QB play with a relatively injury free season, get a shot at the big prize.

Why?  Standards.

Nothing to be ashamed of with this.

IF, ND can get MOST of the talent that they and Bama, Clemson and O$U recruit, watch out.

As you said, many of the players that play for those 3, were not recruited at ND because of the standards.

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

How do you figure? Until Notre Dame supplants one of those schools, they will remain a tier behind. Scoreboard is the name of the game. 

Because you said "always".

1 minute ago, DE said:

Why?  Standards.

Nothing to be ashamed of with this.

IF, ND can get MOST of the talent that they and Bama, Clemson and O$U recruit, watch out.

As you said, many of the players that play for those 3, were not recruited at ND because of the standards.

Because you said "always".

A few players I was thinking of while typing this...

McLaurin, Werner and Ekiyor (sp.) from Cathedral

Just now, Footballking16 said:

Until they prove it on the field, they will always be second tier. Prove it on the field and that moniker goes away. 

Splitting hairs, but I agree.  Just the verbage.

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

You'll find anything to argue about, but I like your feistiness. The question was "what has been done to bridge the gap." They hired a recruiting expert. So they are doing something to bridge the gap. Geeeeeesh, just let it go. 

16 minutes ago, BTF said:

You'll find anything to argue about, but I like your feistiness. The question was "what has been done to bridge the gap." They hired a recruiting expert. So they are doing something to bridge the gap. Geeeeeesh, just let it go. 

How many 5* recruits has Marcus Freeman brought to South Bend?