Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana…..A football state for real this time

Indiana currently ranks 7th among ALL states when it comes to the number of top 250 football recruits.

texas of course has 41 and the other big names like Alabama, Florida, California, and Georgia.

Indiana coming in with a strong 8 prospects in the top 250…with many others probably worthy of joining the group too

0935E9AE-CE25-40C5-9654-695D426BBE4A.thumb.png.2c0100a58f6d1504a756084e3f94360f.png

Link:

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-rankings-week-states-with-most-rivals250-prospects

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Indiana currently ranks 7th among ALL states when it comes to the number of top 250 football recruits.

texas of course has 41 and the other big names like Alabama, Florida, California, and Georgia.

Indiana coming in with a strong 8 prospects in the top 250…with many others probably worthy of joining the group too

0935E9AE-CE25-40C5-9654-695D426BBE4A.thumb.png.2c0100a58f6d1504a756084e3f94360f.png

Link:

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-rankings-week-states-with-most-rivals250-prospects

Obviously LaLumiere throws a wrench into things, but I just went over to Rivals and counted 8 Indiana high school basketball players in the top 150.

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Obviously LaLumiere throws a wrench into things, but I just went over to Rivals and counted 8 Indiana high school basketball players in the top 150.

Regardless, those are some wicked numbers for baskeball.......but that's nothing new. If we could just retain our in-state talent, IU, Purdue, ND, and Butler would be Top 25 programs on an annual basis. 

This is very impressive, and a great sign that talent level is on the upswing in Indiana.  One major area of concern.

Indiana's Top 3 Football Blue Bloods Carmel, Ben Davis and Warren Central.  Not a single player on the list

Why are these 3 schools no longer developing Top Tier talent like they used to?

Coaching and apparent lack of player development are likely at the root of the problem.

18 hours ago, BTF said:

Might as well rank Indiana 6th. Per capita, Indiana obliterates California. If we had California's population, we'd have 47 kids in the Top 250 compared to the Sunshine state's 13. 

Isn't Florida the "Sunshine State"?  They have 33.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DT said:

This is very impressive, and a great sign that talent level is on the upswing in Indiana.  One major area of concern.

Indiana's Top 3 Football Blue Bloods Carmel, Ben Davis and Warren Central.  Not a single player on the list

Coaching and apparent lack of player development are likely at the root of the problem.

What do you consider, "no longer"?

Are you ONLY talking about "producing" top 250 players?  If so, I wonder how many schools nationwide are "producing" top 250 players year in and year out.

My guess would be, *maybe* 5 in the entire country.

I am talking schools, NOT IMG types.

1 hour ago, DT said:

You can coach the snot out of a 6'0" lineman and the Power 5s won't have any interest.  Many on the Top 250 list have been well coached but most won the DNA lottery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DT said:

I’ve made my stance known and don’t need to hijack another thread.

Warren and BD are both producing fewer high level players compared to what we had become accustomed to seeing out of those schools.  Enrollments have remained steady, so either there are fewer high level players attending these schools, or those that are attending are not developing as thoroughly as their predecessors did.  

Carmel has been more consistent than either BD or WC over the past decade in terms of talent development, but still odd that they dont have a player on this list

25 minutes ago, DT said:

Warren and BD are both producing fewer high level players compared to what we had become accustomed to seeing out of those schools.  Enrollments have remained steady, so either there are fewer high level players attending these schools, or those that are attending are not developing as thoroughly as their predecessors did.  

Carmel has been more consistent than either BD or WC over the past decade in terms of talent development, but still odd that they dont have a player on this list

BD and Warren both have players littered across the D1 ranks. Dawand Jones started in the national championship game last year and David Bell is a potential first round draft pick. Doesn’t get more elite than that.

7 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

BD and Warren both have players littered across the D1 ranks. Dawand Jones started in the national championship game last year and David Bell is a potential first round draft pick. Doesn’t get more elite than that.

Agree

The qty of players from both schools is down considerably if you look at the past 4 five year cycles.  

Take this statistic for example:

Marion County:  The LARGEST county in the state of Indiana in terms of population by two-fold won FOUR state championships in the calendar year 20-21...

Cathedral:  football and girls track

Roncalli:  football and softball

Chatard:  football

Warren, Ben Davis, North Central, Lawrence North, Lawrence Central, Franklin Central, Pike, Southport, Perry Meridian, Decatur Central...ZERO.

27 minutes ago, temptation said:

Marion County:  The LARGEST county in the state of Indiana in terms of population by two-fold won FOUR state championships in the calendar year 20-21...

Warren, Ben Davis, North Central, Lawrence North, Lawrence Central, Franklin Central, Pike, Southport, Perry Meridian, Decatur Central...ZERO.

Five, oops.

43 minutes ago, temptation said:

That's a rather misleading statistic. How many public schools in Indianapolis play in anything but the large class division? 

I don't see Covenant Christian's football title in there either. 

Edited by Footballking16

27 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

That's a rather misleading statistic. How many public schools in Indianapolis play in anything but the large class division? 

I don't see Covenant Christian's football title in there either. 

I’ll give you CC further proving my point though.

ZERO public schools won state titles in Marion County in 2020-21.  Point still stands.

If you’d have told me that would be the case as recently as TEN years ago, I’d have called you crazy.

Aggressive Covid lockdowns also played a role.  But I’m sure you’ll come back in here and spout some nonsense about “culture.”

Public education is dying a slow death.

Edited by temptation

16 minutes ago, temptation said:

I’ll give you CC further proving my point though.

ZERO public schools won state titles in Marion County in 2020-21.  Point still stands.

If you’d have told me that would be the case as recently as TEN years ago, I’d have called you crazy.

Aggressive Covid lockdowns also played a role.  But I’m sure you’ll come back in here and spout some nonsense about “culture.”

It's a misleading stat, no more no less.

All the Indy schools knock each other out in the sectional and regional rounds, and by default typically play in the hardest half of the bracket by virtue of playing each other. 5 of the top 10 teams in 4A basketball this year all played in the same sectional and are all located in Indianapolis. Indy schools were still represented well in the their respective tournaments.

And little ole Pioneer High School just won their 3rd state title in lady's sports for 2020-21 (volleyball, basketball, softball).

Way to go Pioneer.

Sorry, just had to congratulate this awesome accomplishment to the ladies of Pioneer HS.

Carry on.

Edited by DE
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

It's a misleading stat, no more no less.

All the Indy schools knock each other out in the sectional and regional rounds, and by default typically play in the hardest half of the bracket by virtue of playing each other. 5 of the top 10 teams in 4A basketball this year all played in the same sectional and are all located in Indianapolis. Indy schools were still represented well in the their respective tournaments.

If you’re the best, which Marion County used to be, due in part to its enrollment advantages, then you navigate your way through the path of your surrounding schools.

Its a damning stat.  Stop dancing around it.

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Carmel I think have 6 state championship for 2020-2021 More than all Marion county

Honestly, with 5000 students, anything less than a state championship in any sport should be considered a disappointment. 

5 hours ago, DE said:

Isn't Florida the "Sunshine State"?  They have 33.

Lol, I think you're right. Even with the population difference between the two states, Indiana's 8 doesn't compare to Florida's 33. That's an impressive number. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Well prepared to be dazzled. Exactly 10 years ago, calendar year 2011-2012, Indianapolis schools won, get this, 5 state titles.

Cathedral-Football

Chatard-Football

Lawrence Central-Men's Track and Field

North Central-Women's basketball

Pike-Women's Track and Field

It's a misleading stat, clearly.

Edited by Footballking16

15 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Well prepared to be dazzled. Exactly 10 years ago, calendar year 2011-2012, Indianapolis schools won, get this, 5 state titles.

Cathedral-Football

Chatard-Football

Lawrence Central-Men's Track and Field

North Central-Women's basketball

Pike-Women's Track and Field

It's a misleading stat, clearly.

3 public schools there chief.  The six state titles in 2020-21 is only part of the story.  

The fact that ALL SIX were non-public schools is staggering.

#culture