Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Agree or disagree?

I do recall someone on here saying it would help get high school players more college football playing opportunities if high schools ran offenses that the state college football teams run. 

As a former HS coach, I say you run what best fits your players strengths. 

I agree with you. If you are good enough, colleges find you. 

36 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

I disagree high school football coaches job is to win and build a respectable program not send kids to the next level. If you are good enough you will make on the next level regardless of what offense you run.

71C25A89-9AB5-4F05-9614-8685C4A0C0BD.jpeg

And…..who exactly is this Coach Askew?  Never heard of him. 

Edited by DE
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, DE said:

I do recall someone on here saying it would help get high school players more college football playing opportunities if high schools ran offenses that the state college football teams run. 

As a former HS coach, I say you run what best fits your players strengths. 

I agree with you. If you are good enough, colleges find you. 

And…..who exactly is this Coach Askew?  Never heard of him. 

Successful coaches, who don’t ,or haven’t had the unlimited talent pool of certain programs ,always tweak their schemes to take advantage of the resources (students) that come out to play.  In my area,Two very successful coaches come to mind, who no longer coach are, ex Columbus East coach and ex Bloomington south coach. 

• Like 2

Kevin Wright at WC comes to mind.....D 1 talent all around, but ran the option game. 

Brett Favre was an option QB in HS. 

Percentages alone do not support the thinking of Coach Askew. Something like 6% of HS players play in college; or something like that.

Do what is best for the kids you have. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Kevin Wright at WC comes to mind.....D 1 talent all around, but ran the option game. 

Brett Favre was an option QB in HS. 

Percentages alone do not support the thinking of Coach Askew. Something like 6% of HS players play in college; or something like that.

Do what is best for the kids you have. 

This is why some programs never come out of mediocracy. Coaches who can’t adjust. And there are several.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, southend said:

This is why some programs never come out of mediocracy. Coaches who can’t adjust. And there are several.  

Possibly.......I think there is very little credence to the idea that often times, programs just run into a period of time when the talent level is just not there. 

13 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Possibly.......I think there is very little credence to the idea that often times, programs just run into a period of time when the talent level is just not there. 

Sure, but the good coaches, who can adjust, still produce. Have winning seasons.

46 minutes ago, southend said:

Sure, but the good coaches, who can adjust, still produce. Have winning seasons.

sometimes......years ago while I was tracking won loss records.......a typical season had close to half the teams in the State finish with a a .500 record or lower. While there were different teams each year, it was a consistent theme. Knowing a handful of the coaches in that spot, including a few teams I was on staff for, it just does not always work out that way. Some of the best coaching I did was on teams that we had to develop kids who could be on the field Friday nights. Looking back at the seasons I did my best coaching and teaching, the teams did not always have a record that would say we were "successful". 

Dick Dullaghan ran the I formation almost his whole career until he got James Banks. Same with Kirschner. He and staff switched up their offense to more of a passing/running attack with Kyle Castner and all those wideouts he had in the program. Switched it again when Reese Taylor was QB. 

I think you have to adjust. Don Shula certainly did after he got #13. Great example is Eric Moore. Look at what CG is running now with Tayven Jackson.

Edited by BDGiant93

College coaches don’t care what offense is being run. They check size, speed, skill, smarts, etc. if a kid can he can play. Doesn’t matter the offense. The coach who put this out there is ridiculous. 

High school coaches are limited to players, talent, and all sorts of other things depending on the size of the school. Be organized, know your philosophy, and get the kids to buy in. When you have to adjust because of a certain particular player then make that adjustment. Nothing else more to say about this crazy idiotic statement from a so called coach.

• Like 3

On 6/16/2021 at 7:01 PM, Whiting89 said:

I disagree high school football coaches job is to win and build a respectable program not send kids to the next level. If you are good enough you will make on the next level regardless of what offense you run.

71C25A89-9AB5-4F05-9614-8685C4A0C0BD.jpeg

Good question.

Winning a lot obviously  does not necessarily mean your kids get o the 'next level' 

It does at big schools but not at small ones.

If you want to run a single wing misdirection offense to win in 1A or 2A, that has great value to the boys, the school and the community. 

Your guys may not be big or fast enough to play in college anyway. 

To win in 6A you have to run a college or pro style offense and the 'next level' will be within reach of some of your boys. 

But a coaches' basic job is to organize, teach and win. 

Edited by oldunclemark