Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SCOTUS Ruling: The Death Knell for Amateurism

Bobref

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Can you please elaborate on a couple of those paths?

It’s not rocket science. The most obvious is the opportunities created by the economic consequences of a commitment to athletic excellence. For example, at Notre Dame, athletic department revenue contributes significantly to the funding of a robust minority scholarship program. Also, the connection between athletic excellence and high numbers of admissions applicants has been demonstrated. Athletic excellence is, in effect, a recruiting tool for the entire student body. 

That’s a couple. There are more.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bobref said:

It’s not rocket science. The most obvious is the opportunities created by the economic consequences of a commitment to athletic excellence. For example, at Notre Dame, athletic department revenue contributes significantly to the funding of a robust minority scholarship program. Also, the connection between athletic excellence and high numbers of admissions applicants has been demonstrated. Athletic excellence is, in effect, a recruiting tool for the entire student body. 

😅🤣😂

I'm honestly curious how much longer "academic" requirements will need to be met for an athlete to complete.  With a multimillion$ collective NIL deal, one could hire a great number of "tutors" specific to each course of study. 🤔 Might be a good trickle down effect for the smart academic kids.

I think its entertaining to see the NCAA twist into pretzels trying to maintain the charade.

Can't wait to see how the IHSAA is going to deal with this....there are several High School athletes across the country with big money NIL deals.  Personally, I would have shillled for BWs & Papa John's gift cards🤪

32 minutes ago, US31 said:

I'm honestly curious how much longer "academic" requirements will need to be met for an athlete to complete.  With a multimillion$ collective NIL deal, one could hire a great number of "tutors" specific to each course of study. 🤔 Might be a good trickle down effect for the smart academic kids.

I think its entertaining to see the NCAA twist into pretzels trying to maintain the charade.

Can't wait to see how the IHSAA is going to deal with this....there are several High School athletes across the country with big money NIL deals.  Personally, I would have shillled for BWs & Papa John's gift cards🤪

You think these big time "student" athletes in question here, are REALLY doing all their original work?????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Thank you.

So how many NIL Collectives have formed at Notre Dame?

55 minutes ago, DE said:

You think these big time "student" athletes in question here, are REALLY doing all their original work?????

Obviously I need to use more purple.....

Or include things like this:

image.png.a20770c225fe41d75781d23acf38eb31.png

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

At least it’s not up my a$$.

So I take it you would not be the kind of Notre Dame alum/fan/booster to help fund an NIL Collective?  You could make a return on your investment.

BTW, here is what appears to be the most comprehensive list of current NIL Collectives I could find on the internet:  https://businessofcollegesports.com/tracker-university-specific-nil-collectives

32 minutes ago, Bobref said:

At least it’s not up my a$$.

When you think about it, there isn't much difference.  😂🤣

Well the smell of course.

24 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

So I take it you would not be the kind of Notre Dame alum/fan/booster to help fund an NIL Collective?  You could make a return on your investment.

BTW, here is what appears to be the most comprehensive list of current NIL Collectives I could find on the internet:  https://businessofcollegesports.com/tracker-university-specific-nil-collectives

There is too much $$$ to be had by all MMM.  Geesh.

HEAVY sarcasm intended.

Read my post from yesterday about the HS player.

• 3 weeks later...

From free meals to bank commercials, nearly 100 IU athletes have NIL deals

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2022/04/05/nil-deals-iu-athletes-making-after-new-ncaa-rules-indiana-hoosiers/9454236002/

(Note: story is behind a paywall)

Nearly 100 IU athletes have availed themselves of rules allowing them to profit from use of their likeness since those rules became allowable under NCAA bylaws last summer.

According to totals shared last month with IndyStar by IU Athletics, 92 athletes have reported a total of 173 name, image and likeness compensation arrangements, including 104 deals struck for monetary compensation. Of Indiana’s 24 sports, 17 have at least one athlete with a reported deal.

Athletes have arranged those deals via a variety of means, from official channels like the department’s relationship with NIL clearinghouse Opendorse, to interactions as straightforward and retail as direct messages on social media.

According to department figures, about half of the monetary deals reported through NIL requirements have compensated athletes $2,000 or more. The department did not specify its largest reported deals in the figures shared for this story.

Non-monetary deals are largely in-kind arrangements, like an athlete promising to promote a local restaurant for free meals.

The arrangements signed by IU athletes have ranged from relationships with banks, to health food brands, to restaurants and more.

Hmm. I wonder if any of these NIL deals are with Big Red Liquor stores?

41 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

From free meals to bank commercials, nearly 100 IU athletes have NIL deals

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2022/04/05/nil-deals-iu-athletes-making-after-new-ncaa-rules-indiana-hoosiers/9454236002/

(Note: story is behind a paywall)

Hmm. I wonder if any of these NIL deals are with Big Red Liquor stores?

Great news. Very proud of the athletes. Keep up the good work

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

While I am not much of a fan of Emmert, I do agree in this case consistency is needed, given the variability of state laws.  

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33641798/mark-emmert-says-ncaa-congress-work-together-move-nationwide-nil-uniformity

Isn’t he the guy who congratulated “Kansas City” on winning the championship last night, while handing Bill Self the trophy? 😂🤣😆

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Isn’t he the guy who congratulated “Kansas City” on winning the championship last night, while handing Bill Self the trophy? 😂🤣😆

Yep....not a fan of his leadership.  But in this case I do agree that variability in this case presents challenges toward a fair playing field.

Comments last year from Gonzaga's Mark Few

https://theathletic.com/news/gonzagas-mark-few-says-varying-nil-laws-disastrous-lead-to-unfair-advantages/jZpV9x2IAHf0/

University of Illinois professor weighs in......

https://sports.yahoo.com/system-balance-time-revisit-college-135007831.html