9. Lowell
10. Hobart
11. Northridge
12. East Noble

canstockphoto9179631 (1).jpg

Loaded division in my opinion 

18 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

4a SS south is going to be a meat grinder overall

Eh, I thought that last year but Roncalli absolutely DEMOLISHED good Mt. Vernon/Mooresville teams...and rumor has it they’ll be better this year.

I think part of Kirschner’s decision to leave Mt. Vernon was related to that loss.  When your best team in school history provides little resistance to the juggernaut that is Roncalli, you second guess things.

Pure speculation on my part.

Edited by temptation

10 minutes ago, temptation said:

Eh, I thought that last year but Roncalli absolutely DEMOLISHED good Mt. Vernon/Mooresville teams...and rumor has it they’ll be better this year.

I think part of Kirschner’s decision to leave Mt. Vernon was related to that loss.  When your best team in school history provides little resistance to the juggernaut that is Roncalli, you second guess things.

East Central/Chatard played them well last year. But yes, Roncalli is definitely the clear favorite in 4A this year and will be tough to knock off 

16 minutes ago, temptation said:

Good insight

Leo - Returns some great players and will be a tough out. Can't say I love their offense, but if Miller can grind it out on the ground and get Crawford the ball in space they will be tough to stop. Defensive line with Livingston and Allen will cause a lot of issues.

East Noble - They being back some talented receivers and play makers, but the QB position is up in the air, but they return the entire OL. If they have someone who can get the ball in the hands of Zolman and Munson they will be a tough team to beat. 

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Whomever comes out of the north will be roadkill.

Sadly I have to agree with this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Chatard beat Roncalli soundly last year. 

Honestly, that game was a helluva lot closer than the final score.

Chatard was wounded for the rest of the season following that bruising game and lost their lead running back (Nathan Cmehil….probably, with others, part of the reason for a coaching change at Ritter, btw) for the season.  

Just like Cathedral (who, along with Center Grove, is, again, a likely a Top 20 Team in the ENTIRE US), Roncalli will be even better this year….and they were a Top 10 team All Classes last year.  

No surprise Chatard and Roncalli being in the same Sectional….ie. Sectional 28 rinse and repeat.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

You already know it’s going to be the first round game.

I would love for them to end up 1-2 in that class .. and meet in the first round of the sectional. We need outrageous and unfair outcomes like that to get rid of the ping pong balls.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

I would love for them to end up 1-2 in that class .. and meet in the first round of the sectional. We need outrageous and unfair outcomes like that to get rid of the ping pong balls.

You say outrageous and unfair. I think Roncalli/Chatard meeting the first round of the sectional means the system is working just as the IHSAA intended. But that’s just me. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

You say outrageous and unfair. I think Roncalli/Chatard meeting the first round of the sectional means the system is working just as the IHSAA intended. But that’s just me. 

I think the other perspective is that with everyone playing week 1 of the playoffs, fewer people would attend compared to it being a sectional championship or even a regional game. With no one eliminated in the first round, only fans of those schools will attend. A later match up would likely draw fans who follow teams that have been eliminated. The other issue is that these two meet in round one and the loser is turning in equipment while some 0 fer team wins and continues playing. I am not so sure it is the intention of the IHSAA......may be more like they want to avoid any hassle (or even extra work) or complaints in attempting to seed teams. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Irishman said:

I think the other perspective is that with everyone playing week 1 of the playoffs, fewer people would attend compared to it being a sectional championship or even a regional game. With no one eliminated in the first round, only fans of those schools will attend. A later match up would likely draw fans who follow teams that have been eliminated. The other issue is that these two meet in round one and the loser is turning in equipment while some 0 fer team wins and continues playing. I am not so sure it is the intention of the IHSAA......may be more like they want to avoid any hassle (or even extra work) or complaints in attempting to seed teams. 

I will rephrase my tongue-in-cheek comment. One P/P team will eliminated quickly from the tournament, which I think is the IHSAA’s intent.

The unintended consequences like you have mentioned are why I agree it would be a bad thing for football in the state. 

As it is, Chatard must win sectional in 2021 and 2022 or win a regional in one of those years or they would return to 3A. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

I will rephrase my tongue-in-cheek comment. One P/P team will eliminated quickly from the tournament, which I think is the IHSAA’s intent.

The unintended consequences like you have mentioned are why I agree it would be a bad thing for football in the state. 

As it is, Chatard must win sectional in 2021 and 2022 or win a regional in one of those years or they would return to 3A. 

Come on.  Don’t be conspiracy theory guy.

Its embarrassing.

Edited by temptation

8 hours ago, Irishman said:

I think the other perspective is that with everyone playing week 1 of the playoffs, fewer people would attend compared to it being a sectional championship or even a regional game. With no one eliminated in the first round, only fans of those schools will attend. A later match up would likely draw fans who follow teams that have been eliminated.

This! Plus, I’d like to think that by playing well in the regular season, a team earns the right to play more games, or at least the opportunity to play more games. 

• Like 1

Roncalli will be better this year.  5-7 D1 lineman on that team, all in that 260+ range   

QB turned the corner mid season last year.  

just have to find someone to hand the football to. 

Chatard always seems to find their pieces so should be a great game  

Mooresville lost a lot besides the two big guys.   Not sure the QB coming back can carry what is left.   He is a nice player   

Mt Vernon looked overmatched vs Roncalli last year.   Also won conference vs a very down New Pal.  

East Central was a very strong team, but lost some very solid seniors.   Play at Roncalli in regular season, so will find out then.

On 6/25/2021 at 11:52 PM, fenderbender said:

Roncalli will be better this year.  5-7 D1 lineman on that team, all in that 260+ range   

QB turned the corner mid season last year.  

I think the Qb play in the state game was really eye opening. I think that without weather factors really showed what this kid could do. He dropped some dimes.

I think it’s easy to compare scores between teams ,and see the result of the state game and say that other teams would have been a better match up for Roncalli. That Qb was on a different level that day compared to what his tape would show. Hobart definitely sold out to stop the run game and did a decent job.. but the efficiency ( and big play ability)of Roncalli passing game was unexpected and no fluke, they just had some great conditions to unleash it. I’m very curious to see the growth this season. Shame it’ll be them and Chatard so early but we all knew that was coming. 

As a Hobart guy I think it’s important that it’s said what great sportsmanship Roncalli kids and administrators showed to Hobart. The comments the Roncalli kids made about how hard the Hobart kids hit and played as well as the letter sent to the boys from the administration showed a lot of class. I know that the boys would love the chance to run it back…. Regardless of the last outcome. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GATA said:

I think the Qb play in the state game was really eye opening. I think that without weather factors really showed what this kid could do. He dropped some dimes.

I think it’s easy to compare scores between teams ,and see the result of the state game and say that other teams would have been a better match up for Roncalli. That Qb was on a different level that day compared to what his tape would show. Hobart definitely sold out to stop the run game and did a decent job.. but the efficiency ( and big play ability)of Roncalli passing game was unexpected and no fluke, they just had some great conditions to unleash it. I’m very curious to see the growth this season. Shame it’ll be them and Chatard so early but we all knew that was coming. 

As a Hobart guy I think it’s important that it’s said what great sportsmanship Roncalli kids and administrators showed to Hobart. The comments the Roncalli kids made about how hard the Hobart kids hit and played as well as the letter sent to the boys from the administration showed a lot of class. I know that the boys would love the chance to run it back…. Regardless of the last outcome. 

How do you see the North half of the bracket?  This preseason ranking focuses heavily on the south half of the bracket.  

2 hours ago, fenderbender said:

How do you see the North half of the bracket?  This preseason ranking focuses heavily on the south half of the bracket.  

Good question. Hobart returns a lot of kids but lost some big guns. Supposedly starting a freshman QB that is pretty good. Really hard to say, some good classes moving up. I would say Hobart should be in the conversation. Sounds like Leo brings back a lot. I think there is a lot of uncertainty up North. Lowell is always tough but I think Hobart is the favorite as of now in that sectional. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fenderbender said:

Fact is , 4A North is very weak.

When your state championship representative gets run off the field by 6 touchdowns , youve got problems with your bracket strength.

f