Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Tayven Jackson Just Moved Up the Depth Chart at Tennessee

Guest DT

4 hours ago, Staxawax said:

LOL, he's a year from being on campus.  A lot can change in 12 months.

It certainly can.  But if you are Jackson, one big obstacle to becoming the starting QB at UT was just removed.  I would not be at all shocked if Huepel were to make some type of committment to Jackson if Tayven can lure Curry down to Knoxville.  

34 minutes ago, DT said:

It certainly can.  But if you are Jackson, one big obstacle to becoming the starting QB at UT was just removed.  I would not be at all shocked if Huepel were to make some type of committment to Jackson if Tayven can lure Curry down to Knoxville.  

So, a coach at a school in the top Power 5 football conference in the country is going to make some type of commitment to a guy who is a year away from taking his first college snap, simply because he delivers a prized recruit … who also has never taken a college snap? I don’t think so.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bobref said:

So, a coach at a school in the top Power 5 football conference in the country is going to make some type of commitment to a guy who is a year away from taking his first college snap, simply because he delivers a prized recruit … who also has never taken a college snap? I don’t think so.

You surprise me with your naivete counselor.

Or are you being obtuse?

Edited by DT

Huepel strikes me as a bit of a snake.  He is a career climber and resume builder.  Will do what it takes to climb the ladder.

They put on quite the Hollywood hype production for Jackson when he was in Knoxville a few weeks back.  They want Curry.  Bad.  Its very easy to connect the dots

7 minutes ago, DT said:

Huepel strikes me as a bit of a snake.  He is a career climber and resume builder.  Will do what it takes to climb the ladder.

They put on quite the Hollywood hype production for Jackson when he was in Knoxville a few weeks back.  They want Curry.  Bad.  Its very easy to connect the dots

Let’s look at the other side of that coin. Curry to the Vols is, at best, a real long shot. If Jackson cannot deliver Curry, do you believe it puts him at a disadvantage in the QB competition?

21 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Let’s look at the other side of that coin. Curry to the Vols is, at best, a real long shot. If Jackson cannot deliver Curry, do you believe it puts him at a disadvantage in the QB competition?

Why is Curry to UT a longshot?

Tennessee is an SEC blueblood.  Rebuilding their program.  Its closer to home than Alabama or Clemson.  

UT has the 15th best roster in the country.  Theyve been poorly coached.  Lots of upside to that program.  

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

1 hour ago, DT said:

Huepel's not going to get a very long honeymoon in Knoxville. Jeremy Pruitt lasted 3 years, Butch Jones lasted 5 years (and was spared due to a couple 9 win seasons), and Dooley before them lasted 3 years. As "prized" as Curry may be, Huepel isn't going to just hand the reigns over to a true freshman QB in win now mode because he delivered a recruit who likely isn't to make a major impact until his upperclassmen years. 

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Huepel's not going to get a very long honeymoon in Knoxville. Jeremy Pruitt lasted 3 years, Butch Jones lasted 5 years (and was spared due to a couple 9 win seasons), and Dooley before them lasted 3 years. As "prized" as Curry may be, Huepel isn't going to just hand the reigns over to a true freshman QB in win now mode because he delivered a recruit who likely isn't to make a major impact until his upperclassmen years. 

Can you imagine Tayven as a wideout with his athleticism?

2 minutes ago, Jon said:

I think it some what depends on Curry's NFL aspirations if any. If he is looking to be a high draft pick (1-3) or any pick at all for that matter the numbers highly lean in Ohio State favor. Over last 5 years Ohio State has had 43 total picks , 1st = 1, 2nd = 7, 3rd = 11, 4th = 4, 5th = 3, 6th = 2, 7th =5 were as Tennessee has had 13 total picks, 1st. = 1, 2nd.  = 1, 3rd =4, 4th = 0, 5th = 0, 6th = 6, 7th = 1. If he's not 100% NFL bound or bust I think Tennessee would be a good fit for Curry for many reasons you provided.

I would prefer UT because I dont want to see him killing IU quarterbacks for the next 3 years.  LOL

Truthfully, Ive never been a fan of TN.  Im surprised they continue to recruit as well as they do.  

58 minutes ago, Jon said:

I think it some what depends on Curry's NFL aspirations if any. If he is looking to be a high draft pick (1-3) or any pick at all for that matter the numbers highly lean in Ohio State favor. 

Those stats will always favor the schools with the better teams.  The question is whether they developed the players into high draft picks or simply recruited them.

OSU basically views Curry as the third Bosa brother.

They want him.  Personally I like him better as a DT in a 4 man defensive line.  

DE gets all the glory, but DT do all the dirty work.  Curry manhandles people at the line of scrimmage, and has great speed and technique to break thru and pressure the passer.  He is like a bigger version of Aaron Donald

At 6-5. 285, he will be a monster

Edited by DT

13 hours ago, DT said:

OSU basically views Curry as the third Bosa brother.

They want him.  Personally I like him better as a DT in a 4 man defensive line.  

DE gets all the glory, but DT do all the dirty work.  Curry manhandles people at the line of scrimmage, and has great speed and technique to break thru and pressure the passer.  He is like a bigger version of Aaron Donald

At 6-5. 285, he will be a monster

Interior pass rush has become more and more valuable with each passing season. A DT in a 4-3 scheme or a DE in a 3-4 scheme is much more of a pass rush threat than ever before and those who can do it cash in big time during contract negotiations (see Aaron Donald, Chris Jones, DeForest Buckner, etc.)