Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Do coaches still need to be up in the Box?

I had to google what this was….I imagine it’s too early to tell.  But as more teams use it we will get the answer.

in a sense though….it’s interesting that HS football will have essentially instant replay review but will have no avenues to correct a mistaken call despite having the evidence. 

with that said….nfl teams still put their DCs up in the box despite having all the video technology available to them 

51 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

it’s interesting that HS football will have essentially instant replay review but will have no avenues to correct a mistaken call despite having the evidence.

This is the very definition of Pandora’s Box.

Having said that, last season the NF enacted the following rule: 

ART. 7 . . . Other than replay or television monitoring equipment, game officials may use supplementary equipment to aid in game administration as authorized by the state association.

NOTE: A state association may create instant-replay procedures that permit game or replay officials to use a replay monitor during state postseason contests to determine if a decision by the on-field game officials is incorrect.”

I can tell you that the IHSAA has zero interest in instituting instant replay for the state tournament, at any level.

I can tell you that having an experienced coach in the box is invaluable. Hudl sideline is a luxury not all can afford, and in some instances it's not needed. Being able to see the game live, and in real time, and then providing instant feedback is huge. Speaking from my own experience I'd rather ask a question and get an answer. Another thing to consider is coaches don't always have time to look down at an ipad in the middle of a game. It's a freaking sweet tool though.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2021 at 5:38 PM, bombkicker said:

With Hudl sideline are coaches in the box needed anymore?

They are two completely separate things. Hudl sideline is a great review tool to see what happened last play. A coach up top is a spotter to help with the next play (players running on/off the field, is the ref marking the OOB spot short of the first down, etc.) 

21 hours ago, Bobref said:

I can tell you that the IHSAA has zero interest in instituting instant replay for the state tournament, at any level.

That is good to hear. Trying to force Hudl Sideline into a replay system is asking it to do something it was not designed to do. On the goal line, I will take a properly positioned referee over any video camera angle from the endzone or midfield. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

They are two completely separate things. Hudl sideline is a great review tool to see what happened last play. A coach up top is a spotter to help with the next play (players running on/off the field, is the ref marking the OOB spot short of the first down, etc.) 

Agree 100%.......Hudl Sideline can be a great tool....when it works right, but if the coordinator is in the box, he needs to relay info to position coaches on the field. Even with the sideline program, a d line coach is not going top be able to review with defensive backs. Or, if the coordinator is on the field, you have position coaches in the press box. a DB coach will focus on the pass routes run or what receivers are doing for an opponent, while a line coach will focus on the run game and blocking. Both will track them to see how plays align with tendencies. 

Another perspective is that the college and pro levels have this technology and still use coaches in the press box. 

• Like 1

In my opinion you get a great view from up top.  If you are an OC the top view helps with game day alignments, coverages and depths of the 2nd level players.  You can also find the game day "human tendency" Meaning my Jimmy is better than your Joe, so run the ball here or throw the ball there.  Or a certain player over runs the flow of the run or jumps a given pass route, Thus you can make your adjustments accordingly to capitalize on these areas.

As a DC it helps to know  offensive formations, depths, and alignments.  I will give our up top coach a list or I will verbalize what to look for and to let me know how the offense flows and their sub patterns or packages they are utilizing on  1st and 3rd downs.   And it also helps when we have a weakness on defense and need to make a  change due to a player  being overmatched physically or dare I say due to lack of effort.

So to reinstate my opinion... Up Top Is Good

• Like 5