8. Triton Central
9. Eastern (Greentown)
10. Tipton
11. Rensselaer
12. Heritage Christian

unnamed.jpg

Edited by DT

On 6/29/2021 at 11:00 AM, jakone said:

Don't Sleep on Eastside Luers barely beat them and they return a lot of talent.

Luers was not very good last year and they still beat a highly regarded Eastside. Think that is a product of them playing most of regular season games against teams that are 2-4 class up from them.

DT - an overly generous ranking of the 59ers. Defense is going to be stout and strength of team. More than just Bowen on D. Offense starting a sophomore QB and only one returning starter on offensive line. Talent at RB and WR. Offense is going to need some time to gel. Tough schedule to start season @Merrillville, @Crown Point, and at Michigan power Grand Rapids Central Catholic. They could very well start season 0-3.

3 hours ago, RegionFBFan said:

DT - an overly generous ranking of the 59ers. Defense is going to be stout and strength of team. More than just Bowen on D. Offense starting a sophomore QB and only one returning starter on offensive line. Talent at RB and WR. Offense is going to need some time to gel. Tough schedule to start season @Merrillville, @Crown Point, and at Michigan power Grand Rapids Central Catholic. They could very well start season 0-3.

Perhaps.  The usual suspects at the top do not appear to be as strong as usual, and Andrean has the best player in the state in 2A.  

On 6/30/2021 at 12:09 PM, Ballhawk said:

Have the Linton Miners fallen this far?  No mention of them in the 2A top twelve, seems surprising.

I'm sure omitting LCC was an oversight.  They'll continue to compete in whatever class they're in.

I haven't delved into my Miners yet... but only 5 seniors from last years 8-4 team that lost only to Mater Dei (9-5), Southridge (13-1) North Knox (6-3)and in OT to 4A Boonville (a game really was a dropped interception from a Miner win).  Linton only lost 1 true skill player (WB Trey Goodman, who moved from QB in week 2).  For me the biggest losses are of the twins on the OL...  Landon and Damien Giles.  As well at DE/TE Levi Grounds who alternated all year from TE to OL.  His biggest contribution was at DE.  We also lose an OLB in Brayman Lannan. I expect Jr QB Hunter Gennicks to be bigger faster and wiser in this 2nd year running the team.  He ran for 906 from week 2 on, he didn't play offense in week 1 at all.  and he threw for 17 TDs and 1189 yards with only 2 picks.  Linton returns WN Kaulin Padget who had a 7.8 yard per carry average, 443 yards rushing, and 7 TDs combined. He missed a handful of games with injuries last year. He will have to be healthy. As will sr RB/ILB GAbe Eslinger.  He played 10 1/2 of 12 games but dealt with knee and hand injuries.  He led Linton with 100 tackles, just ahead of fellow ILB sr Drew Smith at 99.  Linton returns their top 4 defensive tacklers with FS Jaydan Miller, LB Bracey Breneman and DT Donovan DeBruhl (who missed the final game with Mater Dei with injury in Tell City win).  

Smith was the main RB (FB) in the Miner offense which accounted for 2,769 rush yards 230.9 per game.  they return Smith (a bruising style running within the tackles) for 448, Padgett at wing with 443 and a lot of speed, Gennicks' 916 from QB.  to Replace Goodman's 542 at WB, there will be several options.  Eslinger started year there, but is almost identical to Smith's style, and there will be more 2 back scenario's I believe with those two and a wing.  After Eslinger's knee injury in week 2, he didn't see a lot of carries, but did have 118 yards.  Eslinger is a dedicated weight room guy who is coming off a great baseball season as well.  He in a winner of the coveted blue facemask award at Linton... something he has accomplished in all 4 years.  Smith was 6'2 215 last year, Eslinger 6'0 195, but both will be stronger and more experience in this their senior years.  Jr Hunter Johns got carries at WB, tho used all year at OLB.  Jaydan Miller, and Bracey Breneman figure in that mix.   Miners will return Jr Wrigeley Franklin (starter as Soph, 6'2 220 then), Aiden Giles (Also a soph starter, 6'2 230) Sr Dalton Carpenter (Who started as a freshman at center, 5'10 215) but will have to replace the departed older Giles brothers.. and yes Aiden is another brother.  Several one way players on the defensive line will likely be the candidates... Donovan Debruhl  (6'0 275 in 2020), Jackson Fields (6'0 205) both senior.  This is probably the one area  of concern that may see some shuffling as Linton looks to get depth on both lines.

The main receiver was Eli Poe who caught 39 passes for 392 yards, but Linton will need others to contribute in order to keep defenses from stacking the line.  Padgett proved to be a weapon from WB with some long TDs, but Goodman really stepped up with 281 yards, and made key catches.  He made a terrific TD catch in the Wabash Valley Coaches Association All Start game a few weeks back.  TE's made some plays and I look for Cameron Goodman, Trey's younger brother) to be one of those guys.  Bottom Line- When Linton shows and has a passing game threat, they have been highly successful going farther in tournament.  

Defensively as they do Offensively, Linton returns 8 starters, including both ILBs and entire defensive back corps.  Linton has always been strong against the run, but there were times they got overpowered.. which rarely happens in Miner Land. There were some bigger rushing numbers against Linton in 2020 that aren't historically the norm.... the worst being the 407 from North Knox.  I expect more intensity from coaches this year on people making plays....but doing what they are supposed to do to allow others to make the plays.  Mistakes turn into big long running plays if not TDs.   Playing against wide open good passing attacks has always been an achilles heel...but overall, it was not bad.  They should be improved and more experienced.  They did have 21 interceptions on the year.  Obviously Mater Dei threw at will in the sectional finale, which they did in 2019 as well.  Somehow we have to be able to defend that to get to the next level in 2A.

And that...I believe is why you aren't seeing the votes for Linton.  We haven't beaten Southridge since we added them as the opening week and in one sectional meeting.  0-5, and really just 2 games were 'games' and perhaps the first half of the 2017 meeting.  But Southridge has been a damn good football team to face off in week 1 LOL!  We can't match Evansville Mater Dei either.  THey have taken us out in each of the last 3 sectionals, and pretty much in dominating fashion.  Sometimes we hang for a while, others we find ourselves down before we can break a sweat. Just like in 1A, where Linton had to break through the Perry Central factor in sectionals.... and finally get past the semi-state after so many close close battles... finally getting the respect state wide with back to back state games and the 2016 title.... we gotta do the same in our sectional in 2A.  It's just another level of talent when you get to programs like Southridge and Mater Dei.  Linton's numbers were waaaay down last year... which means any injury sends you scurrying to find replacement from a smaller pool.  There are never excuses in Miner Land... but facts are facts. This year looks to have a senior class that most contributed if not started at sophomores, and some key juniors will be counted on... but as always, there's gotta be some younger kids step to the next level for Linton to have the depth and confidence.  Confidence is huge.  You have to believe you can.  And Linton put themselves there.  They've gone 5-4 since moving to 2A in sectionals. They just got have to prove they can get over that hump, and with this team they have the talent, they will be good if they can stay healthy... but Southridge and Mater Dei are both always loaded with talent, and you add other improving teams in Sectional 40 and it's always going to be tough!!!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spitting Llamas said:

Wonder what kind of report we get once he studies them a little. That was pretty in depth for not much research yet. 

I will read whatever you post.  With a name like Spitting Llamas, call me intrigued.  🤣

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Looks like the region is going to be Andrean and nobody else this season.

Statewide, last perceptions of Region football defined by Hobarts crushing loss in 4A final and Merrillville's resounding defeats at hands of Chatard and Westfield

On 7/20/2021 at 5:12 PM, Miner_Pride said:

I haven't delved into my Miners yet... but Southridge and Mater Dei are both always loaded with talent, and you add other improving teams in Sectional 40 and it's always going to be tough!!!   

I can't speak to Southridge, but Mater Dei is going to be much improved over last season.  Most around here expect them to challenge for the SIAC title.  I anticipate they will be a tough out in 2A.

9 minutes ago, tango said:

I can't speak to Southridge, but Mater Dei is going to be much improved over last season.  Most around here expect them to challenge for the SIAC title.  I anticipate they will be a tough out in 2A.

Southridge = 3A

16 hours ago, Spitting Llamas said:

Wonder what kind of report we get once he studies them a little. That was pretty in depth for not much research yet. 

LOL.. well I can at least laugh at myself!   Can't help it fellers...we get talking football and I get all caught up.  I haven't gotten in depth LOL really because I haven't talked to coaches yet this year, and there's always something not accounted for. Such as last year having 2 multi year starters not play their senior year.  I've watched a couple scrimmages, but it's hard to really know who is who in some cases.  I want to be more active this year on the Gridiron.  I was lame last year.  I gotta get my information in order!!  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, tango said:

No doubt the WIldcats will be heavy favorites from 2A south... we've (linton) not shown that we can hang with them.  The passing attack always does us in.... and the MD defense is always stellar.  I don't even wanna talk about the 2019 game.. .ever... again.  LOL.  well not really LOL... it was horrible.   I knew that Mater Dei was a younger team, and that people were saying how 2021 was going to be a great year for them...  that doesn't bode well for Sectional 40 foes.  Linton will certainly be improved in some areas, and I know all year long it's a work in progress aimed certainly at who we likely will see down the road.  North Knox and Tell City both had break out years for their programs...but I think both lose a lot of key players.  We have a nice group of seniors... just HAVE to stay healthy.   I am just glad the Raiders are still in 3A... I know they lose some key guys too.. but they'll reload.  

39 minutes ago, DT said:

Statewide, last perceptions of Region football defined by Hobarts crushing loss in 4A final and Merrillville's resounding defeats at hands of Chatard and Westfield

SAC not much better:

Zionsville upends Dwenger

Warsaw takes out Carroll

Homestead waxed by Westfield

Snider off the radar

9 minutes ago, BTF said:

SAC not much better:

Zionsville upends Dwenger

Warsaw takes out Carroll

Homestead waxed by Westfield

Snider off the radar

If Carroll can play some defense, they have a shot to play with anybody because that offense is nearly unstoppable.  Chargers return 8 defensive starters in 2021.  With a 3 year starting QB and his two top WR coming back, this may be the year carroll breaks thru and wins The SAC.

2 minutes ago, DT said:

If Carroll can play some defense, they have a shot to play with anybody because that offense is nearly unstoppable.  Chargers return 8 defensive starters in 2021.  With a 3 year starting QB and his two top WR coming back, this may be the year carroll breaks thru and wins The SAC.

I would have to agree with that. I'm actually surprised that Jeff Becker doesn't have any more offers than he does. That kid can sling it and put points on the board. Correction though, Mason Englert was their top receiver a year ago and is now playing in the NAIA. But those other wideout's are studs. Lot's of upside for the Chargers.

Keep an eye out Week 2. Carroll takes on Snider and their eighteen returning starters. Not to ever count out Dwenger and Homestead, but that game could determine the SAC champion. The core of Snider's coaching staff is still there and with an Indiana recruit anchoring the offense and a Purdue kid navigating the defense, I think the Panthers have an upside to.  We'll find out on the field. 

1 hour ago, Miner_Pride said:

LOL.. well I can at least laugh at myself!   Can't help it fellers...we get talking football and I get all caught up.  I haven't gotten in depth LOL really because I haven't talked to coaches yet this year, and there's always something not accounted for. Such as last year having 2 multi year starters not play their senior year.  I've watched a couple scrimmages, but it's hard to really know who is who in some cases.  I want to be more active this year on the Gridiron.  I was lame last year.  I gotta get my information in order!!  

I don't know if you've heard anything about this but it appears we have have a new kid that should help the Miners on the line.  I had heard that a family was moving here from the northern part of the state with a big kid who plays football.  I don't know from where exactly.  But I was at the field Tuesday evening to watch the scrimmage with Southmont.  I didn't stay very long.  Too hot for me and I was tired from mowing my lawn.  Anyway, there was this big kid with the Linton squad.  I had heard he was 6' 4 and about 250.  He's every bit of that.  Legs like tree trunks.  Trabant seemed to be giving him some individual coaching.  I don't know what grade he's in either.  He's got fairly long, blond curly hair.  Really looks good in his uni.  I hope he's a player.  We need all the help we can get.  As for the scrimmage, as I said I didn't stay long but the Miners had the first set of downs and moved the ball well and went down field for a score.  On Southmont's set Linton was stopping them without allowing much yardage. For what's that's worth.  And for what it's worth I'm now in my tenth decade of watching Miner football.  100 seasons of the bottom of the pit to the top of the mountain and everything in between.

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2021 at 12:33 PM, djbowzz said:

Indiana Football Digest 2A Preseason top 10

1.Bishop Luers

2.Eastbrook

3.Mater Dei

4. LCC

5.Andrean

6.Heritage Christian

7.Tipton

8.Eastside

9.Pioneer

10.Triton Central

I'm not sure I'd rank LCC that high.  Back in their first foray into 2A, I think that would have been a good pre-season slot, but this time around, while they are a good team, I'm not sure I'd place them pre-season #4.  I'd probably put them down around #9.  Two quick tests with Tri-West and Guerin will answer several questions pretty quickly in the season.

18 hours ago, Spitting Llamas said:

In the 1A threads, we always used to say that the season was not officially started until @Miner_Pride had posted his 1A analysis.  Looks like the season is quickly upon us soon.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 12:04 PM, foxbat said:

In the 1A threads, we always used to say that the season was not officially started until @Miner_Pride had posted his 1A analysis.  Looks like the season is quickly upon us soon.

yeah but I used to go sectional by sectional...  my time is unfortunately consumed by too much "other Stuff" these days to really dive like I used.  Moving up to 2A messed me up.   I knew 1A like the back of my palm. LOL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 12:01 PM, foxbat said:

I'm not sure I'd rank LCC that high.  Back in their first foray into 2A, I think that would have been a good pre-season slot, but this time around, while they are a good team, I'm not sure I'd place them pre-season #4.  I'd probably put them down around #9.  Two quick tests with Tri-West and Guerin will answer several questions pretty quickly in the season.

Ranking is pretty much meaningless for Lcc with a sched of Tri West.. Guerin Cath... wl.... Tipton... RC... id give this team more than 2 games 2 c how they adjust/respond.  They did manage to turn a 50-0 beatdown by wl into a State Title....Looks like they r goin south this yr...  a 2A title now...would b compareable to their 1st one ......hmmmmm