Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HHF/GID Interview with Mooresville Head Coach Mike Gillin

Guest DT

Hello Coach Gillin.  Thanks for joining us here at Hoosier High School Football and The Gridiron Digest Skybox

Question 1 :
Coach Gillin.  You are entering your 5th season at Mooresville.  The program has really taken off after a 3-9 start in your first year, going 33-7 in your last 3 seasons, culminating in a south semi state appearance last season.  How would you assess the overall health and status of your program today, and are you surprised at the high level of success your teams have experienced?

Question 2 :
Coach, your reputation as a passing guru and a developer of quarterbacks is well known throughout the state.  Mooresville was long known as a ground and pound type of program, with a focus on tough linemen and rugged backs.  Was there any initial pushback against your pass first philosophy, and how did it come together so quickly for the program in Year 2?

Question 3 :
You had a long and successful run at Indian Creek, and some very good teams at Decatur Central.  When it came time to make your most recent move, what was it about the Mooresville program that most got your attention?

Question 4 :
Coach, you have run up against your share of strong private school teams over your career.  What are your thoughts on the Success Factor, and do you think it has met its intended objectives?

Question 5 :
The Mid State is one of the most balanced and competitive conferences in the state.  There are strong programs everywhere you look.  What are your thoughts on the recent addition of Perry Meridian to the conference, and what is your outlook for 2021 as your team prepares for the season?

Question 6 :
The Pioneers were blessed with some high end offensive line talent in 2020.  Is your depth at a point where you are able to fill those graduation losses and still get the job done of protecting your quarterback.?

Question 7 :
Who are some of your top returning skill players for 2021, and do you see any breakout underclassmen ready to make their move?

Question 8
Coach, you are an Indiana Football Hall of Famer, and have accomplished just about everything there is to accomplish in the game of high school football.  That one big bogey still out there for you is a state championship.  Do you feel Mooresville is getting into position to make such a run?  

Coach Gillin Responses

1. I am not surprised by our success but very grateful because of the buy in if our students parents administrators and coaching staff...We have a formula that i have used at four different schools and have stayed with it for the most part...  

2...We have been proficient in the passing game but have always believed in a balanced attack...It starts upfront getting tough yardage but always presenting the threat of pass for any situation...

3...I have lived every situation i have been in and had pretty good success at each place...Tri West...DC...Indian Creek and now Mooresville...I have believed that each situation could do better and we have done that...I have lived in Mooresville for over 20 years...I love the community and felt like it deserved better than they were getting so Shortened my drive by a half hour and went to work...It was very hard to leave all three schools but each was a good move for me and my family...

4...Not really...It simply delays the inevitable by two years...We have always just tried to get better and compete...That’s all I will say...

5...I think if you take the MIC out of the equation the Mid State Conference from top to bottom is right up there with any...Perry will improve and just add to the competition...We are one of the smaller schools ,  we just compete...

6...That’s our job this year is to replace four out of five offensive lineman...We will adapt our offense to fit our talent ...

7...We will be led by our Junior QB Nick Patterson...21 Pass Tds 20 run...Gideon Brimmage will move to RB and will do well there...Johnny Clampitt  returns as an outstanding receiver and Logan Jackson will fill in as our third receiver...Hogan Denny will be our fourth receiver as a sophomore...We are solid at our skilled positions...If our O line matures quickly we will be competitive...Our O line will be anchored by two year starter Damien Albrecht with Brantley Butcher and junior Chase Price and Bryston Lee and Kellen Copeland with Caleb Webster as our utility O lineman... Defensively we have some very good returners with Luke Bullock at DE and Brady Johnson at linebacker...Ashton Holtsclaw and Hogan Denny in the secondary...Up front Devon Davis will anchor our defense with several others competing for time...

8...If we mature quickly up front, stay healthy, and get some luck we could make another run...It’s a long way off...

Thanks for your time Coach and best of luck to you and your team this season.
Tim Phillips
Hoosier High School Football

unnamed.jpg

image0-1024x573.png